Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if i do this, then how should the connection behind the tv is like?

Connect to the SCV socket, manual tune, save the channels.

Then connect to the HDB socket, manual tune, save the channels.

Thereafter, connect to the socket that u want to watch from, then select the appropriate TV channel from the remote, then watch.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Answers in posts #2 and #27.

If still need to post pic, just show the url of your pic.
Checked the FAQs and got some of my curious info checked! I googled around and found out that the FM/TV point is connected to the HDB block main antenna and the SCV point is connected to StarHub's cable network, not sure whether is it correct. :)

stamina

Reaction score
Connect to the SCV socket, manual tune, save the channels.

Then connect to the HDB socket, manual tune, save the channels.

Thereafter, connect to the socket that u want to watch from, then select the appropriate TV channel from the remote, then watch.
But like u said just now, better to get the antenna switch as plugging in and out diffrent cables is a hassle?

merc

Reaction score
Draco dvb-t & t2 receiver selling at Clementi mall best denki. $129

Courts selling too.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Draco dvb-t & t2 receiver selling at Clementi mall best denki. $129

Courts selling too.

i checked the mda website that draco set-top box carries the label "All Set For Digital TV STEREO" only... not SURROUND.
i'm surprised why they release set top box that is stereo ready only while most TVs and Home Theatre System got 5.1 dolby surround.
most of the HD5 movies (DVB-T & starhub) already support 5.1 dolby surround so i think spending hundred bucks for stereo set top box is not worth it.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
btw, there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap~ :s22:

hmm... very unfair... i tried to view NatGeo HD and H2 on my hubstation hd (without "education" subscription)... it's blocked... no free viewing.

like someone mentioned in other posts, TVs sold in sg should support DVB-T2 and DVB-C so that viewers can still use the scv point to recv HD... dunno why mda keep telling everyone to buy TVs with DVB-T2 (and not DVB-C) and there's no antenna in most flats/condos :s8:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
MediaCorp Ch5 HD has changed. Other than the logo, their subtitles and logo have also gone HD regardless the program itself is upscaled or not.

didn't notice the subtitles... almost all progs during primetime now are all HD... so no chance to view upscaled prog... now at this time 5(HD) is showing upscaled but no subtitles... :D

the new logo still doesn't show whether it's upscaled, True HD or True HD 5.1 surround... old HD5 logo showed it clearly.

btw... i prefer mediacorp to follow hk, korea etc. to show upscaled progs as "4:3 square box" with black bars...

oric1

Reaction score
Can somebody recommend me an indoor powered antenna for DVB-T2, please? I already have the DVB-T2/C tuner built-in to my Samsung Smart TV. Thanks!

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
just checked samsung website... seems like all samsung TVs come with DVB-T2/C tuner... that's very good.
actually can just wait for scv cable to carry all the mediacorp HD unscrambled streams then can use DVB-C to watch... that's even clearer than DVB-T2 over the air.

for me to recv dvb-t signal... i just use my old 14" CRT TV's built-in V-shaped antenna... facing towards bukit batok direction (unblocked view) then can recv liao...
i bought a powered antenna with booster put it in living room (blocked view)... recv nothing 0 signal.

merc

Reaction score
Daiyo indoor antenna EU 1702 works for tv with DVB-T2.
I just got it. Some Best Denki, Courts and home fix are selling.
$64

thanks Edwinz for testing.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Not All Local DVB-T2 TV Sets Support Local T2 Broadcast

On Philips web site (Philips 8000 series 55PFL8008S/12 - Ultra Slim Smart LED TV), the specs for Series 8000 tv shows:

Tuner/Reception/Transmission

Digital TV: Astra HD+ support, Freeview HD*, DVB-T/T2/C/S/S2

However, Philips tv sets are not found in the MDA lists
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/DigitalTV/Pages/DVBT2StereoReceiver.aspx
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/DigitalTV/Pages/DVBT2SSRReceiver.aspx

I queried Philips and got a reply as shown below:
Philips_Reply.jpg

Conclusion?
  • Not all T2 tv set can support local broadcast
  • Verify information from web, even those from seemingly reliable sources

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i checked the mda website that draco set-top box carries the label "All Set For Digital TV STEREO" only... not SURROUND.
i'm surprised why they release set top box that is stereo ready only while most TVs and Home Theatre System got 5.1 dolby surround.
most of the HD5 movies (DVB-T & starhub) already support 5.1 dolby surround so i think spending hundred bucks for stereo set top box is not worth it.
This is a commercial decision by Draco, nothing to do with MDA.

oric1

Reaction score
just checked samsung website... seems like all samsung TVs come with DVB-T2/C tuner... that's very good.

actually can just wait for scv cable to carry all the mediacorp HD unscrambled streams then can use DVB-C to watch... that's even clearer than DVB-T2 over the air.

Thanks AnDyLe0 :)

What I don't understand is that how come SilveR1_09 said that SCV already carry HD5 unscrambled on DVB-C and my Samsung TV also have DVB-C tuner built-in but I still can't receive HD5?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81717253-post33.html

Kiwi8 also said that HD5 via DVB-C on HDB StarHub antenna has the raw frequency 370000Khz. I also manually set to that frequency but also no signal.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81622880-post257.html

You know why? Is there anything else I need to do to get the HD5?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i only say mda's label... didn't say the decision got anything to do with mda.
That was my response for:
The word "they" was used without referring to any specific party...Can be interpreted in different ways.

Silverback84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks AnDyLe0 :)

What I don't understand is that how come SilveR1_09 said that SCV already carry HD5 unscrambled on DVB-C and my Samsung TV also have DVB-C tuner built-in but I still can't receive HD5?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81717253-post33.html

Kiwi8 also said that HD5 via DVB-C on HDB StarHub antenna has the raw frequency 370000Khz. I also manually set to that frequency but also no signal.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81622880-post257.html

You know why? Is there anything else I need to do to get the HD5?

im in the same situation as u. my tv is dvb-c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.