Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuppachop

Reaction score
Starhub, being in operations since monopoly days does not have the capacity to handle too many HD chs. They will take some time to test this, test that etc. Even the ch 8 HD, Suria HD channel numbers are all over the place, not well prepared. Chs that are on mio and Starhub like Nat Geo Music, Baby TV, Sentanta Sports etc. are in HD but Starhub can only offer them in SD, short changing subscribers. Their equipments are too old to handle it.

EK9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to sell dvb t2 receiver (support 1.3.1 mediacorp t2 ) made from china, I have already tested the unit and work as charm, my location now in batam Indonesia. Ready stock and no need pre order!!!.

The prices: For 1 unit S$ 60 and 2-4 units @S$ 55 per unit. I also provide delivery in Singapore but the location for picking up the receiver at Harbourfront only with extra charge S$ 30 per delivery (hand carry 1-3 units per delivery) (payment method: Pay in advance or TT) and you must pay first and confirm to me .or you can buy it directly in batam without any extra delivery fee if you visit to Batam . I will deliver it to you but with limited location only (payment method: Cash on delivery)!!! So you can choose the location and let me know via pm and I will deliver it.

(The delivery location in batam : "Harborbay ferry terminal, BCS Mall, Nagoya hill MALL, THE BCC hotel, Swiss Inn habour bay, Planet Holiday Hotel ,Mega mall Batam center). For more details please pm me. :)

anyone bought from kenny liao?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think many good channels that are once available on starhub tv is now on mio TV, just some channels but some are exclusive to SH cable TV. :)

Does Mio TV still use the ADSL or land line's copper wires for transmission? I don't think they have changed right? If so, then I will never buy Mio TV, cos the bandwidth of the copper wire is limited... that's also why every year people complain about EPL transmissions... I not so stupid to pay for something that confirm will screw up cos Singtel too cheapo to run their own cable network or switch to fibre.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Does Mio TV still use the ADSL or land line's copper wires for transmission? I don't think they have changed right? If so, then I will never buy Mio TV, cos the bandwidth of the copper wire is limited... that's also why every year people complain about EPL transmissions... I not so stupid to pay for something that confirm will screw up cos Singtel too cheapo to run their own cable network or switch to fibre.

SingTel mioTV runs on copper-line telephone socket if you only subscribe to miotv, or if you have adsl broadband it runs on it(copper-line based too). If you got SingTel fiber broadband, mioTV relies on the fiber broadband to broadcast. :)

hwsinn

Reaction score

I have been watching miotv and their HD channels for years and i never had issues at all before. But of cos my internet is on 10mbps plan. Which means there is still ~15mbps left for miotv before adsl2 max out.

winger28

Reaction score
To those watching DVB-T2 HD FTA, how is the sound volume during commercial time?

is it louder than the actual tv programme show ?

harry1990

Reaction score
Starhub is currently say NO Transmission for Channel 8 HD, Suria HD and Vasantham HD as what I know la. I think Starhub is trying to solve this problem in DVB-T2 at Starhub Cable TV HD set-top box or Hubstation HD.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Starhub is currently say NO Transmission for Channel 8 HD, Suria HD and Vasantham HD as what I know la. I think Starhub is trying to solve this problem in DVB-T2 at Starhub Cable TV HD set-top box or Hubstation HD.

How do u know ah? Where's the press release? :s11:

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i dont think current SH STB can decode T2 signals in the 1st place

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i dont think current SH STB can decode T2 signals in the 1st place

They will just have to transmit the signal in DVB-C lor, just like what they are doing now for HD5. :o

Besides, sending DVB-T2 signals via cable is just not cost-effective, cos it includes too many error-correction routines which are not really needed in a relatively cleaner signal like cable.

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being noob, so buy dvb-t2 TVs can directly plug in wall antenna and use liao?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
To those watching DVB-T2 HD FTA, how is the sound volume during commercial time?

is it louder than the actual tv programme show ?

depends on the programmes.
for 5(HD) if the content is true 5.1 surround sound, normally the sound is softer. u will get diff types of volumes when watching through TV without surround, TV with surround, home theater system etc.
tv commercials normally only stereo so it's louder.

other HD channels mostly don't have surround... so the volume is more consistent.
btw i found that since dec (DVB-T2 started) starhub ch103 8(SD) is very much louder.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

those ch 116, 154, 156 that we were discussing are test channels only... they didn't label the channel name... no more transmission since last week.
anyway... i found that they have opened ch 980, 981 too... haven't seen any test signal yet... but got subtitles and audio selections which looks like 5(HD) and 8(HD).

recv via starhub is not direct dvb-t2 signal, should be re-encoded signal as dvb-c. from the test channels, seems like starhub will broadcast 8(HD) using AC3 dolby audio, not AAC audio as used in DVB-T/T2... if that's really the case, means that starhub need to re-encode the audio from AAC to AC3 codec.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Sorry for being noob, so buy dvb-t2 TVs can directly plug in wall antenna and use liao?

Yes, double confirm.

Anyone can enlighten me for signal signal strength and signal quality ?
My signal quality is 100% but signal strength is 66%, it is normal ?

Or do i need to shift my antenna more to the window as current wires is short and just nice at centre of window only.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, double confirm...
No necessary so. Complete picture is given in my post #27 in this thread.

Or do i need to shift my antenna more to the window as current wires is short and just nice at centre of window only.
Not to worry, so long as you are seeing perfect pic.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yes, double confirm.

Signal quality is more important than signal strength.

If u can get 100% on your signal quality, that is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.