Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're right.

From February 2009, StarHub TV had converted to Full Digital Mode, which meant that all Analogue transmission had cease operation.

Source

True but for Free to air or non pay TV user, they can still use it for analogue tv until cut off. Once cut off only pay Tv and cable Broadband user can use the cable point. Now all digital for pay tv user but not all channels are in HD format. Some digital channels are in SD format as not every channel service provider has HD format. We buy from SH while SH buy from different channels service provider.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I thought StarHub had ceased analogue transmission like in around 2009 alr?

The above discussion was about the MediaCorp free-to-air channels carried along the StarHub cable network lah. Currently they are still carrying the PAL analog signals still tunable by the older PAL TVs lah. :s22:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The above discussion was about the MediaCorp free-to-air channels carried along the StarHub cable network lah. Currently they are still carrying the PAL analog signals still tunable by the older PAL TVs lah. :s22:

Still got a lot of time to slowly buy the set top box. Guess that it will only cut off after 6 yrs. I am not buying for my secondary TV till cut off date. Ahh ahh.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By when will the old existing DVB-T (all SD except HD5) channels be terminated? Currently still broadcasting?

MDA and MediaCorp like haven't given a firm timeline or schedule for the effective termination of analog/DVB-T signals. :s11:

But they did terminate Teletext very fast. :s22:

No confirm date but in 2 yrs time will be fully HD. Understand at least 6 yrs or more so have no worry. Sign Starhub fibre broadband can get free Starhub TV.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Analogue will be stop in 2-6 yrs time but it does not meant that cable point will be removed because it also has digital broadcast which Starhub TV is using for their pay TV and many yrs ago I am already using HD Set top box for my family. They will cut the analogue channels and digital channels will remain in the cable point for pay TV user. The cable point is also for cable broadband user to surf the internet.
Some of u may not have used cable tv and cable BB so will get it mixed up.
Some may get mixed up, but not me...never a starhub customer.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Some may get mixed up, but not me...never a starhub customer.

Somehow I feel that MDA has done a terrible job at communicating the overall situation and plan for this digital TV switchover, and left the various stakeholders (SingTel, StarHub, MediaCorp) to provide their own selective nuggets of information that are relevant to themselves here and there.

The public has to pick up these pieces and try to form their coherent understanding like jigsaw puzzle pieces.

For example, the timeline and schedule for the roll out seemed to be fluid and stakeholders appear cautious and uncommitted to a firm deadline. Like they are poised to be adjusted pending emerging technical issues and difficulties.

SingTel probably provide only information for their mioTV subscribers, and Starhub for their cable TV and MaxOnline subscribers. And their convergence and bundling of phone, TV and broadband Internet on ADSL2+ and cable network add to the mess.

MediaCorp only care to provide information about their FTA channels. Pay TV subscribers are not its concern.

Add IDA and OpenNet into the picture which probably tried to push for fibre broadband technology for Internet access, but nothing related to TV content delivery, this complicates the whole picture. Again if IPTV spreads to fibre broadband network such as StarHub TV on Fibre, I wonder what will happen again. :s22:

Now, we do have a big mess to sort out. We have technological and business fragmentations all over. :s8:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
seems like starhub has totally shut down all the test channels with no transmission... and no sign of 8(HD) etc. will be starting any time soon.
so our guess is correct... wait long long after cny.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
No confirm date but in 2 yrs time will be fully HD. Understand at least 6 yrs or more so have no worry. Sign Starhub fibre broadband can get free Starhub TV.

"In the meantime, you can continue to receive free-to-air TV channels in the same way as existing analogue TV signals will continue to be broadcast alongside the digital TV signals for at least another two years."

Source: http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/DigitalTV/Pages/DigitalRoadmap.aspx

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, need some help as I feel you guys should know more as I tried asking the promoters but none of them gave me a definite answer.

I shifted my television to another corner lately as I want to make the room more spacious and I rarely watch local television, except for the occasion where I want to take a break at home and I'll on either channel U or maybe CNA.

The current location of my television has no television point, but previous location there is. I saw the Draco DVB box at NTUC and I actually noticed that the box says something like wireless antenna. I tried asking the promoter whether it's true that I just have to hook up the box to my television and I can receive local television signals wirelessly and the few of them gave me different answers. Guys, do you know anything about this?

I am deciding between a few options.

1. Draco - If it's really wireless and clear.
2. Maybe a media box running on Android like those from Asus.
3. Mac Mini and I'll flash Android in to use it as a PC cum media box together.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Guys, need some help as I feel you guys should know more as I tried asking the promoters but none of them gave me a definite answer.

I shifted my television to another corner lately as I want to make the room more spacious and I rarely watch local television, except for the occasion where I want to take a break at home and I'll on either channel U or maybe CNA.

The current location of my television has no television point, but previous location there is. I saw the Draco DVB box at NTUC and I actually noticed that the box says something like wireless antenna. I tried asking the promoter whether it's true that I just have to hook up the box to my television and I can receive local television signals wirelessly and the few of them gave me different answers. Guys, do you know anything about this?

It is not a wireless stuffs, it is a in door antena like disk. Need to place near window to receive digital signal when TV is scanning..

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score

Is your new TV location near a window?

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not a wireless stuffs, it is a in door antena like disk. Need to place near window to receive digital signal when TV is scanning..

I see, guess i will have to look into other solutions. Thanks for the clarification :)

Is your new TV location near a window?

Unfortunately, i moved it to a dead spot. Now all i get on the TV is my dvd player, PS3 and a very old Astone media box which heats up like mad when I am watching movies.. Which is why I am considering one of those by Asus as it comes with Android OS and I can make full use of apps available such as video players as I have tons of dramas on RMVB.. I think I know i have to look else where now.. Thanks :s12:

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Unfortunately, i moved it to a dead spot. Now all i get on the TV is my dvd player, PS3 and a very old Astone media box which heats up like mad when I am watching movies.. Which is why I am considering one of those by Asus as it comes with Android OS and I can make full use of apps available such as video players as I have tons of dramas on RMVB.. I think I know i have to look else where now.. Thanks :s12:

Where is your house location at. If your house is at Bukit Batok or near Bukit Batok, you can get the Draco DVB-T2 box and use the provided indoor antenna to receive the channels inside your house at around full or high signal. :)

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where is your house location at. If your house is at Bukit Batok or near Bukit Batok, you can get the Draco DVB-T2 box and use the provided indoor antenna to receive the channels inside your house at around full or high signal. :)

Hougang leh..

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Hougang leh..

According to MediaCorp, DVB-T2 for Hougang will only start to transmit in 2015/2016.

rollout_map.jpg

But not sure if you can actually receive the old DVB-T -- which DVB-T2 tuner are backward compatible with -- and is supposed to be still transmitting in theory.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
i bought Draco tuner, everything test ok so far. Signal is high. One thing I would like to check is - for the recording function, is there any way to adjust the quality of recording? I couldnt find this option.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
According to MediaCorp, DVB-T2 for Hougang will only start to transmit in 2015/2016.

that is indoor coverage (i.e. u can put ur small antenna anywhere in house for easy reception).
outdoor coverage is "islandwide" since dec 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.