Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

b00mxer

Reaction score
TV Model : LG 47LM6700

Antenna: HDB MATV (swap the MATV cable with SCV from service inlet)

Set-Top Box: China Brand DVB-T2

Received Channels: HD5, HD8, Suria HD, VAS HD, CNA, Ch 5, Ch 8, Ch U, Okto, Test 0,1,2,3.

When directly connected to the TV (DVB-T) Received: HD5, Ch 5, Ch 8, Ch U, Okto, VAS, & TV2, TV3, TV9, RCTI, SCTV

What is this swap the matv with scv from service inlet about? Care to elaborate? ;)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Kiwi8,

Your line of reasoning lacks consistency? First you said:

Your set [which showed DVB-T2 logo] probably does not comply with DVB-T2 lite (version 1.3.1) which is a requirement to the reception of MediaCorp DVB-T2 signals.
When I pointed out that there is no requirement of DVB-T2 Lite requirement for MediaCorp T2 broadcast, you then said:

Yah but as long as the DVB-T2 receiver is compliant to v1.3.1, it will be able to support the Singapore standard which uses v1.3.1 too.

Now you are implying the set is not compliant with v1.3.1 :s22:

Note: I have added [which showed DVB-T2 logo] while quoting you for clarity.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Kiwi8,

Your line of reasoning lacks consistency? First you said:

When I pointed out that there is no requirement of DVB-T2 Lite requirement for MediaCorp T2 broadcast, you then said:

Now you are implying the set is not compliant with v1.3.1 :s22:

Note: I have added [which showed DVB-T2 logo] while quoting you for clarity.

What's so lacking of consistency? If wanna talk about consistency, it is that the logo for DVB-T2 can't even be trusted now. For example, a set that has the DVB-T2 logo might or might not support DVB-T2 lite, we wouldn't know unless we try or tried by others.

As for the non-requirement of DVB-T2 lite to receive MediaCorp DVB-T2 signals, I have my reservations on that.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi,why my audio would drop with tv? i'm using indoor antenna to connect built in dvb t2 from the tv and connect a hdmi from tv to avr.

no problem with avr audio output when playing external devices but often, audio would drop when playing tv fta program.

need to always switch channels to stabilise it and 90% it happens to ch u,cna & okto. whenever i hear audio drop,i switch to tv speaker to troubleshoot. those channels audio are ok if play tv speaker so what's the problem?

anyone is using indoor antenna to see built in dvbt2 program from tv and connect to a home theatre system like me? pls advise, thanks.

Darrus

Reaction score
More info please on the channels that can be received, with frequency and/or channel no. if available.

The set probably doesn't comply with Sg standard - this is very common with untested sets.

Kiwi8 is right, im only tuning to the dvb-t signals. I can't seem to find the settings to change it dvb-t2 tho...

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just received the 130rmb tuner from Taobao. Video n audio not bad.. However my side the signal strength is abt 40% even with powered antenna. Same as the signal strength of the digital tuner of my TV

Think need to move the powered antenna near to windows.. Btw guys how do I switch the antenna outside my door to use the antenna on rooftop?

Very sian to know my place signal lousy.. Boon lay top floor somemore

arcturuz

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using starhub HD box.
Briefly glance through this thread, how come I cannot receive Ch8 HD on 154?

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can get hd8 and hd5 very good the rest so so. Need to move antenna near windows.

b00mxer

Reaction score
Just received the 130rmb tuner from Taobao. Video n audio not bad.. However my side the signal strength is abt 40% even with powered antenna. Same as the signal strength of the digital tuner of my TV

Think need to move the powered antenna near to windows.. Btw guys how do I switch the antenna outside my door to use the antenna on rooftop?

Very sian to know my place signal lousy.. Boon lay top floor somemore

Weird.. My Boon Lay area signal bar is full. 99%

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
What's so lacking of consistency? If wanna talk about consistency, it is that the logo for DVB-T2 can't even be trusted now. For example, a set that has the DVB-T2 logo might or might not support DVB-T2 lite, we wouldn't know unless we try or tried by others.

As for the non-requirement of DVB-T2 lite to receive MediaCorp DVB-T2 signals, I have my reservations on that.
I hope the following will clear your doubt:

Quote:

T2-Lite

T2-Lite is the first additional transmission profile type that makes use of the FEF approach. It was introduced in July 2011 to support mobile and portable TV and to reduce implementation costs. The new profile is defined as a subset of DVB-T2 with two additional LDPC code rates. Because only elements relevant for mobile and portable reception have been included in the T2-Lite subset and the data rate is restricted to 4 Mbit/s per PLP, the implementation (chipset) complexity has been reduced by 50%. The FEF mechanism allows T2-Lite and T2-base to be transmitted in one RF channel, even when the two profiles use different FFT sizes or guard intervals.

Source: Page 2 https://www.dvb.org/resources/public/factsheets/dvb-t2_factsheet.pdf

In simple language, T2-Lite and T2-base are two different signals that can be transmitted in the same RF channel. As I mentioned earlier, T2-lite is optional in sg standard since there is no mobile receiver available readily as stated by MDA. MediaCorp won't waste their resources broadcasting T2-Lite when there is no mobile receiver.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I hope the following will clear your doubt:

Quote:

T2-Lite

T2-Lite is the first additional transmission profile type that makes use of the FEF approach. It was introduced in July 2011 to support mobile and portable TV and to reduce implementation costs. The new profile is defined as a subset of DVB-T2 with two additional LDPC code rates. Because only elements relevant for mobile and portable reception have been included in the T2-Lite subset and the data rate is restricted to 4 Mbit/s per PLP, the implementation (chipset) complexity has been reduced by 50%. The FEF mechanism allows T2-Lite and T2-base to be transmitted in one RF channel, even when the two profiles use different FFT sizes or guard intervals.

Source: Page 2 https://www.dvb.org/resources/public/factsheets/dvb-t2_factsheet.pdf

In simple language, T2-Lite and T2-base are two different signals that can be transmitted in the same RF channel. As I mentioned earlier, T2-lite is optional in sg standard since there is no mobile receiver available readily as stated by MDA. MediaCorp won't waste their resources broadcasting T2-Lite when there is no mobile receiver.
It does not change the fact that DVB-T2 lite receivers like TBS6281 and TBS6285 can receive the MediaCorp DVB-T2 signals, so the signals must be DVB-T2 lite also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.