Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you confirm that those DVB-T2 receiver you guys bought from Aliexpress can do EPG recording? I asked the Sinho seller. He has no idea what I am talking.

EPG recording means this, Eg. you see Germany vs Argentina to be aired on channel 5 4am~7am next Monday. You see this on the EPG & just click on it & let the unit sits there & by Monday, it will automatically record the program start time & ends at program end time according to the EPG.

I am surprised ShinHo does not know what is EPG recording when he sold many such units.

Your answer will be appreciated. Thanks for being helpful in the channel.

209k8py.jpg

ccchin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can you confirm that those DVB-T2 receiver you guys bought from Aliexpress can do EPG recording? I asked the Sinho seller. He has no idea what I am talking.

EPG recording means this, Eg. you see Germany vs Argentina to be aired on channel 5 4am~7am next Monday. You see this on the EPG & just click on it & let the unit sits there & by Monday, it will automatically record the program start time & ends at program end time according to the EPG.

I am surprised ShinHo does not know what is EPG recording when he sold many such units.

Your answer will be appreciated. Thanks for being helpful in the channel.

209k8py.jpg

Confirm can. But it is not as easy as clicking on the programme. If I did not remember wrongly, you need to specify the starting time, ending time, and date after you clicked on the OK button.

Also you need to format your portable media to FAT32 before you can record.

Last edited:

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Confirm can. But it is not as easy as clicking on the programme. If I did not remember wrongly, you need to specify the starting time, ending time, and date after you clicked on the OK button.

Also you need to format your portable media to FAT32 before you can record.

Thanks, but FAT32 will max out at 4GB & won't quite work for a standard uncompressed movie stretching from 10G to 14G... won't it support NTFS?

ccchin

Reaction score
Thanks, but FAT32 will max out at 4GB & won't quite work for a standard uncompressed movie stretching from 10G to 14G... won't it support NTFS?

I blindly trust the user manual so I did not try recording using NTFS first. :s8: Perhaps you can try it and share your result here.

You are right that FAT32 max out at 4GB, that is, if you format using conventional methods. However, you can overcome that limitation by using the following 3rd party software for the formatting.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

I use it successfully but use it at your own risk. :)

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I blindly trust the user manual so I did not try recording using NTFS first. :s8: Perhaps you can try it and share your result here.

You are right that FAT32 max out at 4GB, that is, if you format using conventional methods. However, you can overcome that limitation by using the following 3rd party software for the formatting.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

I use it successfully but use it at your own risk. :)

I think it may depend on the firmware on the receiver box. Once it detects your external USB is FAT32, it should assumed that it can't write beyond 4G & break the recording into the next file... anyway, do try with the special FAT32 & don't mind the trouble trying NTFS to see if the recording still breaks into multiple 4G files or not.

Anyway, I ordered the last box in the picture I showed as it said it works with NTFS, FAT32 & FAT16 for playback... not sure about recording though... but heck it...

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the EPG recording.... may go test it out when I'm free.

As for the format, indeed FAT32 will have a limit on file size of 4GB, so it is not good to use for recording since it easily exceeds the limit. So use NTFS instead.

But I do notice that it seems that the formatting of the USB device to NTFS using the tuner device seems problematic. So one can format the USB device on your computer, if possible, before using it on the tuner device.

ccchin

Reaction score
I think it may depend on the firmware on the receiver box. Once it detects your external USB is FAT32, it should assumed that it can't write beyond 4G & break the recording into the next file... anyway, do try with the special FAT32 & don't mind the trouble trying NTFS to see if the recording still breaks into multiple 4G files or not.

Anyway, I ordered the last box in the picture I showed as it said it works with NTFS, FAT32 & FAT16 for playback... not sure about recording though... but heck it...

What I meant to say in my earlier post is that: Windows cannot format drives and partitions larger than 32GB in FAT32. This limitation can be overcome by using 3rd party software such as the one in the link I provided earlier.

You are right that recordings bigger than 4G are broken into multiple 4G files in the disk when I viewed the contents from my PC. However, I have also noted that the firmware displayed the recordings as a single file when I accessed it for playback. So no issue in playback when connected to STB but may cause some confusion when playback from PC.

BTW, mine is the first one in your posting. It clearly states that it only support FAT32.

Last edited:

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
I just plug it into the wall socket?
Where do I get the set top box?
Also I must get an indoor antenna?
I'm so confused @.@
Is your TV equipped with DVB-T2 tuner? If yes, you can just go and grab an indoor antenna and plug it to your DVB-T2 TV. If no, you need a DVB-T2 set top box and an indoor antenna. There are two DVB-T2 set top box available in the market now, the Draco 7300 and AC Ryan Playon!LIVE DVB-T2 Recorder. You can also get DVB-T2 set top box from online retailers such as Aliexpress, Taobao etc.

:)

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What I meant to say in my earlier post is that: Windows cannot format drives and partitions larger than 32GB in FAT32. This limitation can be overcome by using 3rd party software such as the one in the link I provided earlier.

You are right that recordings bigger than 4G are broken into multiple 4G files in the disk when I viewed the contents from my PC. However, I have also noted that the firmware displayed the recordings as a single file when I accessed it for playback. So no issue in playback when connected to STB but may cause some confusion when playback from PC.

BTW, mine is the first one in your posting. It clearly states that it only support FAT32.

Ah... now I see what you meant. STB viewed the multiple files as a single file, that is interesting too. Wait till my set arrives, will test out the thing...

Do you use those 2.5" (no external power) USB portable hard disk with this? Does the single USB port has enough power to drive such 2.5" portable hdd?

ccchin

Reaction score
Ah... now I see what you meant. STB viewed the multiple files as a single file, that is interesting too. Wait till my set arrives, will test out the thing...

Do you use those 2.5" (no external power) USB portable hard disk with this? Does the single USB port has enough power to drive such 2.5" portable hdd?

Yes, I use a 2.5" USB portable hard disk for the recording. There is no issue with my recordings, so yes, the STB does provide enough power.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I use a 2.5" USB portable hard disk for the recording. There is no issue with my recordings, so yes, the STB does provide enough power.

Cool. Can't wait to get my STB...:s12:

Last edited:

terence_Say

Reaction score
i use a external DVB T2 set up box and connect to tv via HDMI

when watching CH 8 (HD) while english subtitle is available(like local drama),default subtitle is off,when i select english subtitle,subtitle came out 2 or 3 line,then after awhile its disappear,then i reselect english subtitle(which already selected previously) again,its came out 2 or 3 line and later disappear again.

CH 5 HD chinese subtitle do not have this problem.

anyone face the same problem?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Starhub subscriber and am looking to upgrade my TV. The model (Sharp LC-70LE735X) I am looking as did not list DVB-T2 as a feature. I downloaded the manual and it says DVB-T. So I am not sure if I can catch all the FTA HD channels via the Starhub set top box.

I read through this whole lot of threads but I am super confused especially the info on the first page about SCV socket carrying DVB-C and only HD5 whereas MDA's website says no need to do anything...

Anyone can explain? Does digital TV referred below = HD?

Quoted by MDA's FAQ webpage.
======================================================
1. What do I have to do? Will I need to buy a new TV? What other equipment do I need to purchase?

Existing TV sets can still be used. If you are a StarHub TV or SingTel mio TV subscriber, you do not need to do anything as you can receive and watch the MediaCorp TV channels in digital quality through your pay TV service. However, if you have secondary TV sets not subscribed to Pay TV service, these TV sets would require a digital receiver and antenna each. Subscribers who are currently using Standard-Definition set-top boxes can consider upgrading their set-top boxes to support the High-Definition TV programmes.

For non pay TV subscribers, all you need to do is to buy an antenna and a DVB-T2 digital set-top box and connect them to your existing TV sets to watch digital TV. You can also consider buying a new TV with a built-in DVB-T2 digital tuner (Integrated Digital TV or IDTV) and an indoor antenna, in which case you do not need to purchase a separate set-top box.
====================================================

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Second thing I would like to clarify is: If I buy a second TV for my bedroom and it is a DVB-T2 ready model, would plugging into the SCV box give me all the FTA HD channels? Or I still have to buy an antennae? :(

HeeroYuy84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have played with combined antenna before
didn't encounter any side effect on video quality and no noticeable improvement either since signal already max with a single cheapo antenna

anyway, he can always read up more online, experience it himself and learn

power la, the legend reply my post :s13::s13:

anyway is there anywhere i can get a ac powered high gain antenna? what is the best high gain ac powered antenna for dvb-t2 now?

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Second thing I would like to clarify is: If I buy a second TV for my bedroom and it is a DVB-T2 ready model, would plugging into the SCV box give me all the FTA HD channels? Or I still have to buy an antennae? :(
Nope, you still need an indoor antenna but if you got a new TV that has DVB-T2/C tuners, you can plug your TV to the SCV point and get HD5, and maybe Ch8(HD) and other MediaCorp HD channels in the future.

:)

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New toy for Deepavali: AverTV Digi Volar X & SoundTech TVA-600 - Digital TV on PC

$42? is it good? ac powered which part of sg you stay? can get good signal? i am in tamp

Yes, indeed I used that antenna with Aver TV volar X DVB-T tuner to catch HD5 signal before the USB tuner kick the bucket. Accordingly, DVB-T needs close to 70% or more signal strength to be stable & that's why I hang it outside my windows & I was getting borderline between 65~78% from time to time at Yew Tee area, low floor, right infront the army camp.

Learning from brothers here. DVB-T2 is more robust that, anything more than 40~50% signal strength is enough to get a steady channel feed. So, I'm decently optimistic that the DVB-T2 box should work well with this SoundTech TVA-600 indoor/outdoor antenna.... not sure if I still need to hang it indoor/outdoor.

Will share...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.