Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
3pc-Outdoor-font-b-antenna-b-font-matching-font-b-transformer-b-font-balun-75-300ohm.jpg

Will this one work?

Otherwise, I'll pop in to SLT on Mon to get it.

It needs to be connected to the end of this (the 2 metal thing)...

TVA2-500x500.jpg

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro can share where u get the parts especially the socket part

sNfsRNal.jpg

Daiso Large Paper Binder @ $2
Black or Silver doesn't matter, but i got the Silver one for aesthetics.
Daiso 0.55mm x 14m Copper Wire @ $2
I find that thicker ones will be better. There is also 0.9mm thickness available at Daiso.
UF Technology Balun Transformer @ $1
Sony DVD Jewel Case @ FREE

I only need 6 of the paper binders, i.e. $1.20
" about 40 cm worth of copper wire, i.e. $0.06

Hence 1 built set only cost $2.26! :eek:
(exclude workmanship :D)

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't buy the Balun transformer any longer from UF Tech in SLS... any idea where else I can get one? I asked a few shops in SLT even the one I made cables from and they don't carry it.
You got show them the illustration? Cos when i first bought from them they don't even know its name. The auntie was like "So this is call BALUN transformer ah!" :s13:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I showed her your picture and they said no they don't carry it anymore... doh... what was I to say... :(

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bit confuse here.

I thought when mediacorp fully cut off the analogue boardcasting and only with digital, then we will be able received the digital boardcasting on all channels by just connecting the antenna cable to the starhub socket ?

No need to buy any extra antenna or what so ever to receive digital boardcasting ?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh nope... unfortunately Mediacorp has currently no plans to broadcast the digital signals through the cable network that was built into all homes. For whatever reasons. But I suspect it is to ensure that FTA remains as that. But it's really irritating cos we're going back to the Stone Age with wires and antennas all over the place, one unit for every TV you have.

I have no idea why. The thing is if you subscribe to Starhub pay TV then you do not need the antenna. Which means that Starhub is obliged to carry the FTA signals for all pay-TV customers. Which then means that there are no technical restrictions. Which also means it is basically a commercial decision. And that also means that if MDA mandates that all signals must be carried through the cable network, then it will be possible. So who knows who made the stupid decision not to mandate that the signals be carried through the cable network or through the fibre network.

lotusnotes

Reaction score
Putting the DIY antenna on practical...

Near the window facing towards Bukit Timah Hill (where transmitter originates)
20w62Sll.jpg

Scanning and detecting succeed!
6kyzBuNl.jpg

Crisp and clear image!
ZVUDptXl.jpg

This is the Signal Strength and Quality even when the window is SHUTTED! :s31:
aDSlsD0l.jpg

You don't actually need to buy any Margon, Amazon, Leaf, etc.. powered antenna to achieve this!

Some additional info: Home locates in Sengkang Compassvale, living on top floor. Signal is very strong and even penetrates way over into the middle of my bedroom where this TV situates. Old DVB-T signal can't even does that!

Hi Bro, sorry I am not technical inclined, need your advice. If i follow your DIY steps, I can also get digital signal?

1) on the balun transformers, I get someone to attached cables onto it?
2) then I remove the SCV antenna cable attached to TV with the DIY cable?

Did i follow u corrctly? thanks!

Edited: I think I know already, you merely DIY an indoor antenna which is connected to your dvb-t2 box (or your TV is digital ready type)

Last edited:

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
Eh nope... unfortunately Mediacorp has currently no plans to broadcast the digital signals through the cable network that was built into all homes. For whatever reasons. But I suspect it is to ensure that FTA remains as that. But it's really irritating cos we're going back to the Stone Age with wires and antennas all over the place, one unit for every TV you have.

I have no idea why. The thing is if you subscribe to Starhub pay TV then you do not need the antenna. Which means that Starhub is obliged to carry the FTA signals for all pay-TV customers. Which then means that there are no technical restrictions. Which also means it is basically a commercial decision. And that also means that if MDA mandates that all signals must be carried through the cable network, then it will be possible. So who knows who made the stupid decision not to mandate that the signals be carried through the cable network or through the fibre network.

We really should bring this up to mda, as these are extra costs to the consumers which really are unnecessary...

hwsinn

Reaction score
Really contemplating on building the DIY antenna as i am hearing stuttering on audio every 10 secs or so when watching live tv on NPVR. Recording sounds fine though...

However my connectors are all those normal coaxial jacks. Not the screw on type...eg those behind tv, tv card or matv jack. So i think i need the one the ming ern suggested and link the copper wire directly to the paper clips

sunsetbay

Reaction score

MDA already mandates cable operator to carry out FTA channels on cable network, just that they dun hv the newer HD version channels of Ch8, Suria, Vasan yet~ the rest of it already in digital for many yrs~

technical wise, its not an issue~ we had seen starhub testing HD8 & suria on ch154, 156 before~ only thing is whether will they make it free or encrypted~ even if its free, tv users still need DVB-C box or tv with built-in DVB-C, which makes the campaign on DVB-T2 looks poorly planned~ :s22:

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
MDA already mandates cable operator to carry out FTA channels on cable network, just that they dun hv the newer HD version channels of Ch8, Suria, Vasan yet~ the rest of it already in digital for many yrs~

technical wise, its not an issue~ we had seen starhub testing HD8 & suria on ch154, 156 before~ only thing is whether will they make it free or encrypted~ even if its free, tv users still need DVB-C box or tv with built-in DVB-C, which makes the campaign on DVB-T2 looks poorly planned~ :s22:

Yes, badly plan...
Need to install external antenna, yucks!!!

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Really contemplating on building the DIY antenna as i am hearing stuttering on audio every 10 secs or so when watching live tv on NPVR. Recording sounds fine though...

However my connectors are all those normal coaxial jacks. Not the screw on type...eg those behind tv, tv card or matv jack. So i think i need the one the ming ern suggested and link the copper wire directly to the paper clips

Can go find a screw on type adapter for your normal coaxial jack :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

U can buy something like this:
$_3.JPG

For me I bought the right-angle version so that I can tie up the cable behind pc casing or TV so as to avoid dislodging when moving the casing/TV. :o
$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYg-FBRr!87FQI!~~60_57.JPG

sgmem88

Reaction score

I believe most ppl are not looking for DVB-C

Today most or all non subscriber of starhub/mio connect their TV to SCV point for FTA analogue channels that are carry by the cable network.

When come to the new FTA HD channels, non subscriber of starhub/mio have to use antenna. Is this because of technical issue that new FTA HD channels cannot be carry in cable network?

Or is it because someone of MDA made the stupid decision not to mandate that the new FTA HD channels signals be carried through the cable network?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
anyone noticed that yesterday ndp live telecast starhub/dvb-t 5(HD) got no subtitles at all, while all other SD and HD channels got subtitles?

and i also noticed that dvb-t2 8(HD) choosing eng or chi sub only can see eng/pinyin subtitles no chinese words, but 8(SD) got embedded chinese words.

seems like mediacorp is still very messy handling all diff versions of subtitles... and totally forgotten that starhub HD5 still using embedded subtitles.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
When come to the new FTA HD channels, non subscriber of starhub/mio have to use antenna. Is this because of technical issue that new FTA HD channels cannot be carry in cable network?

as discussed previously in this thread, there is a new thing called "digital indoor coverage" which is similar to mobile phone reception.
they are now building dvb-t2 indoor coverage in all neighbourhoods and after 2016 everywhere in singapore u just need a small little indoor antenna (like handphone antenna, not those powerful antenna discussed here) and can recv dvb-t2 signal easily already.

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score

if the recorded video is fine, then most likely it is not a signal issue but a live tv issue with npvr, just like some players cannot playback the recorded video properly, always got stuttering audio or no sound with certain audio track

NPVR is a good software for recording but for live tv, me prefer those small tv softwares with nice gui one

u can allocate tuner A for NPVR to do recording while allocating tuner B for other tv softwares for live tv
some allow u to configure which audio track to use by default per individual channel so u can avoid the problematic audio track

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.