Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone noticed that yesterday ndp live telecast starhub/dvb-t 5(HD) got no subtitles at all, while all other SD and HD channels got subtitles?

and i also noticed that dvb-t2 8(HD) choosing eng or chi sub only can see eng/pinyin subtitles no chinese words, but 8(SD) got embedded chinese words.

seems like mediacorp is still very messy handling all diff versions of subtitles... and totally forgotten that starhub HD5 still using embedded subtitles.

Yes, also at certain part, both channel 8 and channel U has picture but no sound. I find kind of stupid to have all channels broadcast the same NDP. They have not truly make use of the Nicam technology to transmit is dual languages on same channel.

audiovideo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh nope... unfortunately Mediacorp has currently no plans to broadcast the digital signals through the cable network that was built into all homes. For whatever reasons. But I suspect it is to ensure that FTA remains as that. But it's really irritating cos we're going back to the Stone Age with wires and antennas all over the place, one unit for every TV you have.

I have no idea why. The thing is if you subscribe to Starhub pay TV then you do not need the antenna. Which means that Starhub is obliged to carry the FTA signals for all pay-TV customers. Which then means that there are no technical restrictions. Which also means it is basically a commercial decision. And that also means that if MDA mandates that all signals must be carried through the cable network, then it will be possible. So who knows who made the stupid decision not to mandate that the signals be carried through the cable network or through the fibre network.

actually even if they don't wana use cable for the moment, since the master antenna is there, and they like antenna so much, why can't just use that and need every household to buy own antenna .... really is very jialat

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as discussed previously in this thread, there is a new thing called "digital indoor coverage" which is similar to mobile phone reception.
they are now building dvb-t2 indoor coverage in all neighbourhoods and after 2016 everywhere in singapore u just need a small little indoor antenna (like handphone antenna, not those powerful antenna discussed here) and can recv dvb-t2 signal easily already.

Well that's pure stupidity, plain and simple... they can simply send the signal through the cable network or through the fibre network. Every house in Singapore has both networks... so I don't see what the problem is... as for DVB-C or DVB-T2, it's all a matter of decoding it, and so just change the distribution end of things... I don't think it's that difficult a matter... and therefore if your TV has DVB-T2 built-in, all you really need is to plug in the cable from the wall and voila! You get FTA HD channels... if Starhub can carry 100+ channels HD through the cable network, what's 8 more channels at 720p?!

And why should we have to buy extra antennas, and the govt has to come in to spend extra money to help the poor buy antennas and set-top boxes to receive the signals?! It's just smacks of stupidity!

Obviously not thought through with the man in the street in mind and clearly from some technical engineering standpoint or economic standpoint... I don't think there are any unsurmountable technical issues either...

MDA has not come up to explain itself and it's silence is as deafening as the stupidity of the decision to use external antennas, one for each TV you own... crazy...

Last edited:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sNfsRNal.jpg

Daiso Large Paper Binder @ $2
Black or Silver doesn't matter, but i got the Silver one for aesthetics.
Daiso 0.55mm x 14m Copper Wire @ $2
I find that thicker ones will be better. There is also 0.9mm thickness available at Daiso.
UF Technology Balun Transformer @ $1
Sony DVD Jewel Case @ FREE

I only need 6 of the paper binders, i.e. $1.20
" about 40 cm worth of copper wire, i.e. $0.06

Hence 1 built set only cost $2.26! :eek:
(exclude workmanship :D)

Thx for sharing.

hwsinn

Reaction score
if the recorded video is fine, then most likely it is not a signal issue but a live tv issue with npvr, just like some players cannot playback the recorded video properly, always got stuttering audio or no sound with certain audio track

NPVR is a good software for recording but for live tv, me prefer those small tv softwares with nice gui one

u can allocate tuner A for NPVR to do recording while allocating tuner B for other tv softwares for live tv
some allow u to configure which audio track to use by default per individual channel so u can avoid the problematic audio track

Hi LIVE

Which software would you recommend for live tv?

I tried dvbdream etc but the software is very unstable. The only stable software that i have that supports DVB T2 is NPVR. I prefer standalone software (ie not those server/client type)

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Who want to order antenna from Amazon ?

If more than US$125, can get free shipping.

:)

Soul77

Reaction score
this type common can get from SLS or SLT ma :s11:

Ya... but lazy to make trip to sls/slt just to get this. trip back and forth already $3. buy from ebay $3 for 3. Only drawback is will arrive in 2-3 weeks...=:p

i'm not in a rush. already have my diy antenna with balun taken from old rabbit ear antenna. Just want to experiment with few design.

jervislim

Master Member
Reaction score
Who want to order antenna from Amazon ?

If more than US$125, can get free shipping.

:)

Bro, do u stay at Jurong/Woodlands/CCK area? If so, I can help add in and consolidate in my Amazon order. Will be ordering by tomorrow night. Pm me discuss on the arrangement.

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Hi LIVE

Which software would you recommend for live tv?

I tried dvbdream etc but the software is very unstable. The only stable software that i have that supports DVB T2 is NPVR. I prefer standalone software (ie not those server/client type)

will post them in the pc tuners thread later :)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

My 2 tvs just lost its digital signal from my FM/TV point in Woodlands area. Anybody has this issue. It was okay this morning

surfers_

Reaction score
Anybody living in central area (downtown) could receive indoor digital signal?

MediaCorp Digital TV broadcast rollout map is only rolling out in 2015.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

can they still receive analogue(SD) signal?

Yes they can. I even connect the antenna cables direct to the wall outlet and still no digital signal. It was okay for many months. It's still not okay now.

Don't tell me HDB/Mediacorp stop it in some manner in order to promote their set top box?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.