Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgmem88

Reaction score
i didn't see any official statement that inform the public on FTA HD channels on DVB-C but since starhub's HD STB is using DVB-C, those users with such tuners will able to receive as long the channel is un-encrypted~

the starhub article said on 28 Aug, they would make 3 FTA HD channels (8, Suria, Vasan) available w/o additional cost and that was how we hv tested and confirmed we are able to receive the channels~ :s22:

It's a pity that they didn't make any official announcement, or more people will benefit as they don't need to waste money on new tv or get DVB-T2 tuner/antenna if their existing tv have DVB-C tuner

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
It's a pity that they didn't make any official announcement, or more people will benefit as they don't need to waste money on new tv or get DVB-T2 tuner/antenna if their existing tv have DVB-C tuner
I think if they were to make an offcial announcement on DVB-C, it will cause many confusion among peoples since they might be confused whether to get DVB-C or DVB-T2 TV/set top box.
:)

Sent from GAGT Android App

sgmem88

Reaction score
I think if they were to make an offcial announcement on DVB-C, it will cause many confusion among peoples since they might be confused whether to get DVB-C or DVB-T2 TV/set top box.
:)

Sent from GAGT Android App

just because they afraid to cause confusion, they making people wasting hundred and thousands of dollars per household...can't imagine how many millions wasted overall for whole singapore....don't think that is right way of doing thing.

anyway, getting DVB-C or DVB-T2 is only 2 choices...quite straight forward, shouldn't be confusing for any adult... :s13:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just because they afraid to cause confusion, they making people wasting hundred and thousands of dollars per household...can't imagine how many millions wasted overall for whole singapore....don't think that is right way of doing thing.

anyway, getting DVB-C or DVB-T2 is only 2 choices...quite straight forward, shouldn't be confusing for any adult... :s13:

Actually they can choose to make a digital ready label only for TV models that have both standards, rather than just T2 like what we have at the moment. T2 only or C TVs will not get any label.

Shouldn't be too difficult since almost all TVs with T2 will already have C, and this should force Samsung to unlock the C tuner for Singapore.

sunsetbay

Reaction score

i would think MDA made a wrong move~ they shld made manufacturers to bring in TVs with DVB-T2 & C as a standard for new TV sets in the first place~ like europe where they hv DVB-T2, C & S2 as common features for new tvs~

now that they had campaigning for dvb-t2 for 1 yr, it's kinda like shooting themselves if they say there's a better option which already existed long ago & w/o the need of antenna to get HD channels~

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually they can choose to make a digital ready label only for TV models that have both standards, rather than just T2 like what we have at the moment. T2 only or C TVs will not get any label.

Shouldn't be too difficult since almost all TVs with T2 will already have C, and this should force Samsung to unlock the C tuner for Singapore.

Agree with you. The hands off approach is confusing and not helpful. So many consumers supported Digital with T2 but connected to starhub cable antenna. A waste of their money.

BiG_FisH

Master Member
Reaction score
for those who already have a TV with built-in DVT-T2 tuner, and just looking for an indoor antenna can consider this model posted by LxIxVxE.

Below are my result from Bishan, I'm using Sony 55W904A.

YxjRS7Yl.jpg

s2ORzBXl.jpg

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any bro also order cheap n good non powered antenna for the tv tuner? Can recommend good one thx

Iceman88

Reaction score
Good DIY antenna

Any bro also order cheap n good non powered antenna for the tv tuner? Can recommend good one thx

Can consider making a simple DIY fractal antenna that works really well in my own experience. Just 10 mins or less, most materials already have around the house: A4 paper, clear plastic sheet (I recycled from front cover of old report with binding), kitchen aluminium foil, glue stick, 2 small screws like those used in PC DIY.

The 75-300 ohm balun transformer is the only item that may not possibly be readily available: can get one for $5 from 2nd floor audio/mic shop at Sim Lim Tower (maybe even cheaper from other shops). You can Google the image to show the shop owners. I also saw a cheap $3.20 dipole antenna at Sheng Siong (maybe even cheaper at neighbourhood stores) that you can dismantle to use the balun transformer. Better if still got old antenna lying around to be salvaged without spending a cent!

I was very skeptical that such a simple non-powered antenna, that costs zero to a few dollars to make, can have decent performance. But wow, it picked up all the local DVB-T2 and DVB-T channels with signal intensity 80+ to 99% and signal quality about 98%; video & audio both very smooth (as good or better than from Starhub cable point) even for HD channels like HD5 & HD8. Only thing is I have to place mine right next to window (I think my area not indoor reception-ready yet). If antenna cable not long enough, can join up shorter cables using adapters ($2-3 at hardware stores) without having to buy a new long cable.

No harm trying this super cheap yet good method. I also tried another DIY method using CD case and binder clips, it could receive signals but choppy video for HD channels. Have fun!

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider making a simple DIY fractal antenna that works really well in my own experience. Just 10 mins or less, most materials already have around the house: A4 paper, clear plastic sheet (I recycled from front cover of old report with binding), kitchen aluminium foil, glue stick, 2 small screws like those used in PC DIY.

The 75-300 ohm balun transformer is the only item that may not possibly be readily available: can get one for $5 from 2nd floor audio/mic shop at Sim Lim Tower (maybe even cheaper from other shops). You can Google the image to show the shop owners. I also saw a cheap $3.20 dipole antenna at Sheng Siong (maybe even cheaper at neighbourhood stores) that you can dismantle to use the balun transformer. Better if still got old antenna lying around to be salvaged without spending a cent!

I was very skeptical that such a simple non-powered antenna, that costs zero to a few dollars to make, can have decent performance. But wow, it picked up all the local DVB-T2 and DVB-T channels with signal intensity 80+ to 99% and signal quality about 98%; video & audio both very smooth (as good or better than from Starhub cable point) even for HD channels like HD5 & HD8. Only thing is I have to place mine right next to window (I think my area not indoor reception-ready yet). If antenna cable not long enough, can join up shorter cables using adapters ($2-3 at hardware stores) without having to buy a new long cable.

No harm trying this super cheap yet good method. I also tried another DIY method using CD case and binder clips, it could receive signals but choppy video for HD channels. Have fun!
Hey thanks going to try it when I free.. Cheers

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks iceman .. i almost done up my fractal antenna and looking for balun RCA connect..

searching around my store room i found one copper wire type of antenna wanna cut out the plug to join to my antenna but i think why not try out the antenna.. Plug it to the digital tuner all channels 100% signal strength.... :s13::s13: wasted my effort on the handicraft...

Iceman88

Reaction score
searching around my store room i found one copper wire type of antenna wanna cut out the plug to join to my antenna but i think why not try out the antenna.. Plug it to the digital tuner all channels 100% signal strength.... :s13::s13: wasted my effort on the handicraft...

I read that copper wire is best when making DIY antenna and sometimes one's location is good enough that even a piece of bare copper wire does the trick! Which makes you realise how much the antenna manufacturers are ripping consumers off with claims about the performance of their expensive "HD" or "fully digital" antennas. Even if the customer gives priority to aesthetics and wants a beautiful antenna, it's only a paperweight if can't perform at all! Problem only if your family is the kind to nag about ugly equipment and messy wiring :)

Nah, don't think u wasted your effort as your design looks really cool and can be a conversation piece for your visitors! Some people on internet even make DIY antennas to sell. Making stuff with your hands is also good stress relief!

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
StarHub channel 981 has moved to channel 155, which means now HD5 on Starhub has the subtitles option.

b00mxer

Reaction score
StarHub channel 981 has moved to channel 155, which means now HD5 on Starhub has the subtitles option.

Really? So it's now receiving from DVB-T2 signal and not DVB-T? Any frequency changes to non starbub box users?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Really? So it's now receiving from DVB-T2 signal and not DVB-T? Any frequency changes to non starbub box users?

No, the DVB-T2 signal is still broadcasting in the air. What chakuman is referring to, is the DVB-C signal carried by the StarHub TV point.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using my copper wire antenna can recieve more chanel. All the digital SD channel. 2 x HD 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.