Do Cables MAtter and other related chat

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone here calculate how much power is lost/voltage drop through the speaker cables? So to size them appropriately?

For my work in real life, i often need to size power cables and calculate voltage drop and short circuit capacity for electrical installation (so to comply to code of practice).

But i am not sure what should be taken into account if i were to calculate for speaker and amplifier.

Im thinking whether the drop in voltage due to small cable size between amp and speaker will have an impact or not.

In the past, i estimate the power sent to my speaker by measuring the voltage at the speaker terminal, then square the value and divide by the nominal resistance. Then i set the limiter on my processor to limit power. But the impedance of speaker coil varies with frequency.
Maybe when im free i think about this.

Just some thinking.

Sent from Your Favourite Non-Biting Talking Pillow using GAGT

Isn't that what the guy did in the video you shared? So you want to recreate this testing platform? That would be interesting.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
This is a good, simple to understand video on how someone edits the frequencies to remove harsh 'Ssss' in vocals when producing a song. He shows 2 methods, with an automatic plugin (can see the reduction in dB in realtime) and manually reducing volume/gain.

Now imagine that instead of editing the frequency, the producer switches headphone cables instead to try to achieve the same aim....

It is definitely understandable that for a consumer without a simple way to include an equalizer into their audio system, they will resort to 'physical' methods and products to equalize their songs. If they have the cash, that's definitely fine. But hopefully more people understand, what they are really trying to achieve....

Last edited:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
This is a good, simple to understand video on how someone edits the frequencies to remove harsh 'Ssss' in vocals when producing a song. He shows 2 methods, with an automatic plugin (can see the reduction in dB in realtime) and manually reducing volume/gain.

Now imagine that instead of editing the frequency, the producer switches headphone cables instead to try to achieve the same aim....

It is definitely understandable that for a consumer without a simple way to include an equalizer into their audio system, they will resort to 'physical' methods and products to equalize their songs. If they have the cash, that's definitely fine. But hopefully more people understand, what they are really trying to achieve....

This one is not new. In the old days, there were mini hifi by various companies like Sony, Aiwa, Pioneer etc...., can adjust using equalizer. Some old sony walkman also have equalizer.

Many AVR also allow you to adjust type of sound. Mimic effects of surround etc....can adjust bass/treble.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
This one is not new. In the old days, there were mini hifi by various companies like Sony, Aiwa, Pioneer etc...., can adjust using equalizer. Some old sony walkman also have equalizer.

Many AVR also allow you to adjust type of sound. Mimic effects of surround etc....can adjust bass/treble.

Yup, didn't say it's new technology. Other than tone control, in the absence of actual equalizers, people are essentially using their cables to function as equalizers (and now the harshness is gone! etc).

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If cable does not make a difference, then all those cable manufacturers can closed shop liao.

Measurement is one thing but can u really hear the difference is another thing.

Cables come with different characteristics which must match your audio system and it's subjective to individual listening taste.

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
If cable does not make a difference, then all those cable manufacturers can closed shop liao.

Measurement is one thing but can u really hear the difference is another thing.

Cables come with different characteristics which must match your audio system and it's subjective to individual listening taste.

Yes, fully agreed. I gotten the 300IL and I have to say it doesn't like silver plated cables. I tried and its not good at all. Its expected. Pple online already said the amp sounds a bit cold and on the bright side. Pairing it with silver plated cable will only make things worse.

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Then maybe also thinner 16awg or even 18awg cheap cable will make it sound better?

Not really. I tried those cheap audio cables (one is copper, the other tin plated in clear insulation). Cannot. Sounds flat, machiam like listen to radio.

One thing I notice that is very distinct is the reverberation is very difference.

Btw, I just tried an old set of cables, its supposed to sucks when I use it on my marantz amp back then. But on the 300IL, it really comes to life......I am glad my wife take out of the bin and kept it back then (I threw it away).

I know sound is subjective and you can claim its placebo. But how do you explain that one set of cable sounds good on 1 amp but bad on the other? Its not about salesman here because I own all those cables and amps.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the mic cable they used is definitely not good quality and not silver cable, too much reverb and not bright enough.

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Play this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSaC3t0N0Q&list=RDKg-mW8SyNVg&index=4

Compare using silver plated and non-silver plated cable on the 300IL... Very different. My wife could tell right away that 1 sounded sharper, higher tone, brighter. The other is lesser. She didn't know what cables I was using. Only know I was swapping cables. She is not into hifi and "can hear can already".

The good old 'wife can hear'... :s13:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?search/6207905/&q=%22wife%22+%22hear%22&o=relevance

Really doesn't take a lot of effort to measure with a mic....

Last edited:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
The good old 'wife can hear'... :s13:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?search/6207905/&q=%22wife%22+%22hear%22&o=relevance

Really doesn't take a lot of effort to measure with a mic....

Then you got test or not?? If you never even test yourself, talk so much for what?? Whats the point of showing me asr thread? Most of the stuff in there is crap

One thread say cable no difference, then say cables over 12awg can colour the sound.

I use my own money buy my own equipment, listen do them myself, what have you done?? Have you even open up your amp and speakers before??

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Then you got test or not?? If you never even test yourself, talk so much for what?? Whats the point of showing me asr thread? Most of the stuff in there is crap

Haha....it shows the same excuses have been heard many times, that if 'wife can hear', then means it 'proves' that there MUST be an audible difference.
I'm saying no, that's not a proof. Sure when got time I try to measure my cables' audio differences again. Although later people may say my setup 'not resolving' enough. :s13:

But no silver cables, too expensive to justify for a hobby.

One thread say cable no difference, then say cables over 12awg can colour the sound.

Please read the review properly, that is not their conclusion, they did not say the sound is 'coloured'. They found Electrical differences, but that does not mean Audio differences they can hear. This is their exact conclusion (they are telling people to buy properly designed cables with specs, not anyhow choose):

Clearly 12 AWG wire is not 12 AWG when you buy a no-name brands. The notion then that you should buy any old wire that says 12 AWG and shopping purely based on price is not a wise one. Where you can, buy branded cable that comes with proper specification.

I use my own money buy my own equipment, listen do them myself, what have you done?? Have you even open up your amp and speakers before??

lol, yes I use my own money buy my own equipment, listen to them myself too...?
And yes I have opened up my amp and speakers before. But how does that mean anything? Means I know how to use a screwdriver / allen key? :s13:

Last edited:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Added to ignore list.... Dont need to see his nonsense forever.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yup that is the wisest thing to do indeed. Anyway nobody is perfect. Forgive and forget.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
For people like me who don't understand the science well enough and unable to quantify everything and do the math, we still fall back on whom to believe. Andrew Jones? ASR Amirm or other scientists. I can never be on same level as them. I can only quote what they say and blindly believe them. So I am not improved regardless of whom I believe. We are who we are. Best if everyone can accept that.

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Added to ignore list.... Dont need to see his nonsense forever.

Sure, I respect your decision. It's easier and less painful than actually having to stand behind your words when people ask you to prove what you said.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
lxXXxl u should get award for always needing to have the last word haha.

Like I said... nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.