Double Actions to Rid Mosquitoes at Home - Repelling/Killing Devices

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mozzies are attracted NOT by UV light but by carbon dioxide, perfume, body odor, body heat, Type O blood and sweat. Mozzies do not have good eyesight, so they need light to help them to hunt. Yellow and red lights actually repel mozzies as they find them unpleasant. Effective sound frequency range against mozzies is between 30 to 60KHz.

In view of the different types of mozzies it’s best to have devices with different technologies to rid them. Many reviews on the net say the electronic ultrasound repellers are not effective. However, my testing revealed that they do work at least for the ones I bought. When buying repelling/killing mozzie devices take note of the pointers below.

1) Pest-Stop Trio and Dual Action Repellers. Do NOT kill but repels mozzies from the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAhwoJ4kIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuuKZJRxd8

Pointers
a) Do not point them against soft material like curtains, sofa etc for soft materials absorb ultrasound. Hard solid surfaces will reflect and spread the ultrasound around.
b) Make sure when you buy any repeller check that it operates between 30 to 60KHz
c) It’s advisable to buy a few for better coverage as the interior of the house may have different layout, blocked by cabinets, furniture, walls etc
d) For Pest-Stop Triple/Dual Action Repellers' Electromagnetic High Impact Repelling feature to work the device must be plugged into a wall socket. Plugging into an extension cord will negate this feature.

2) Pest-Stop V5 LED Mozzie Magnet – Kills stubborn mozzies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqpQ58rmRZY

Uses UV light + Heat + Carbon Dioxide emission to attract mozzies and the suction fan draws them down the one-way flap which closes, traps and eventually cause the mozzies to die from dehydration.

Pointers
a) A strong fan is needed for a weak fan may fail to suck in those fast flying mozzies
b) UV lamp inside mozzie magnet may have a short life span
c) For effectiveness check that the dead insects are indeed mozzies and not mozzie-lookalike e.g. midges
d) Place mozzie magnets in places where there are high chances of mozzies appearing e.g if you are always bitten in the legs below the table then place a mozzie magnet below the table rather than placing it on top of the table

For better coverage I bought 2x Pest-Stop Triple Action Repeller and 2x Pest-Stop V5 LED Mozzie Magnet to rid mozzies

You can get the devices from below or from Home-Fix shop. Home-Fix shop at Waterway Point(Punggol) has a wide range of different brands on display

http://www.olee.com.sg/product-category/pest-control/

https://www.mjhub.biz/product/pest-stop-v9-photocatalyst-mozzie-magnet/

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Ok, after about half a month of use the Pest-Stop Trio Action Repeller works the best as compared to the single and dual speaker models. No more mozzies now. I have two. One in the kitchen and one in the hall.

Prior to that there were always about 2 to 3 mozzies every day below my kitchen table. Now there's none. Let the device work for a few days and you should see some result. I suspect the ionic action created negative ions which repels the mozzies away.

I have two Pest-Stop V5 LED Mozzie Magnets. One placed below the table and one in the hall. The one in the hall has no mozzie trapped but the one below the table has one mozzie trapped dead so far. I have them turned off.

I also have two mozzie zappers (like those found in the coffee shops zapping flies) but there's no mozzies zapped so far. These are small size devices and plug into the AC wall outlet for them to work. I have them turned off as well.

It isn't that the Pest-Stop V5 LED Mozzie Magnet and the mozzie zappers are ineffective. I think there's just too few mozzies. Placing them outdoor might see better result. Unfortunately, I'm staying in a HDB flat so the result isn't showing up.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Did you try Nippon Mozzieguard paint?

Nope. I don't use it. However, I do believe the efficacy of the paint against mozzies will diminish over time.

Other devices you can use are the SHARP Air Purifier and the LG Aircon which come with anti-mozzie feature. But you need to on them 24x7 to keep mozzies killed and they consume more power

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I actually question the effectiveness of those high frequency pest repellent. I think there are tests out there that proves and disproves the effectiveness. So it is hard to tell who is speaking the truth.

For me, to keep mozzies out of my house, I do the below.
(1) Install mosquito netting on Windows that I keep open all the time. Of course there are times where doors are open. In the event that one does slip in,
(2) Either hunt it down and give it a fatal slap :s13:, or,
(3) Switch on the UV mosquito trap in an attempt to trap it. I normally don't keep it on because you are right to say that the UV lamp lifespan is quite short.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I actually question the effectiveness of those high frequency pest repellent. I think there are tests out there that proves and disproves the effectiveness. So it is hard to tell who is speaking the truth.

For me, to keep mozzies out of my house, I do the below.
(1) Install mosquito netting on Windows that I keep open all the time. Of course there are times where doors are open. In the event that one does slip in,
(2) Either hunt it down and give it a fatal slap :s13:, or,
(3) Switch on the UV mosquito trap in an attempt to trap it. I normally don't keep it on because you are right to say that the UV lamp lifespan is quite short.

I quote my starting post

Mozzies are attracted NOT by UV light but by carbon dioxide, perfume, body odor, body heat, Type O blood and sweat. Mozzies do not have good eyesight, so they need light to help them to hunt. Yellow and red lights actually repel mozzies as they find them unpleasant. Effective sound frequency range against mozzies is between 30 to 60KHz.

UV light alone is useless against mozzies. They are attracted to you by a combination of factors.

I tried that before. I came back from work and was sitting in the kitchen and the mozzies still bite my legs despite having the Pest-Stop V5 LED Mozzie Magnet below the table.

So I suspect sweat and others could be the factors

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
with the different repeller lamp out there what would you guys recommend? powerpac?

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use Rechargeable Electric Insect Bug Bat, zap them when I see them.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UV lamp has no effect on mosquitoes, it can attract houseflies.

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
I used to have those UV tube type which does attract the mosquito to it. Then they are zapped by the electrical steel surrounding. Also attracts moths and some other flying insects too. The UV LED type seems less effective. Or rather not effective in my case. Never seen any dead mosquito on it.

Now using the Lemongrass scented liquid bought from supermarket. Seems to be effective too. Did not see any flying around nor hear anyone in the household got bitten. Standby are the baygon mosquito coil just in case.

Now that dengue is on the rise, good idea to have some prevention.

pepsitwist

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread. Any updated reviews on the pest stop electronic insect repellent?

parchiao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with the gadgets.

Just buy those mosquito nets and paste over the most used window panels and top hung.

You can open your windows big big and no mosquitoes can pass through.

The only penalty is just a little more cleaning.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.