EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Reaction score
those are nice - classics;)

I like slippies and lockbacks too....but here's the problem. It's a trial-and-error to find one with the spring that is perfect for me. Not so stiff that my thumbnail breaks, not too lose that the action is weak. And because these folders are pinned, it's impossible for the maker to really fix it, especially those with the hidden pin bolster finish. Nevertheless, when you find a nice one, it's great.....I recall a slippie (or was it a lockback) that was used in the film about two men (Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin) in a downed plane in Canadian wilds. The slippie was made by a local Canadian maker I think.

I haven't handled many slippies, but have had the pleasure of fondling (but not using) some of Ray Cover, Jeff Cover, Jerry Halfrich and (lucky me) Tony Bose's work. Those guys grind the blades real thin....pure cutting instruments.

Not my style, but it's nice :)

vespaguy

Reaction score
By the way, do any of you use ceramic knives in the kitchen? particularly Kyocera ceramic knives? I just watched the infomercial playing at the department store and it just looks damn impressive. I use a ceramic knife also, but not a Kyocera, just a generic no name brand. Maybe I'll upgrade to a Kyocera someday.

What are your thoughts? I find them very easy to clean, they do stay sharp much longer than steel blades but I can resharpen the steel blades much easier (benchstones).

If anyone is looking for a kyocera electric diamond sharpener to touch up their ceramic knives, I have one for sale. Used 5 times only. They retail for more than $150 at Tangs/Takashimaya/TOTTs but I'm selling mine for way way less. PM me if you are interested =:p=:p

Sonic69

Reaction score
I recently handled a no name ceramic knife that my mother bought. Wasn't too impressed. Maybe too used to metal. Looking forward to the day when I get a Japanese Gyuto with Wa handle.

vinn

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anywhere i can still buy a benchmite?

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
I find ceramic knives doesn't give the kind of feedback I enjoy during cutting.. It kinda feels odd.. Just like bicycles, I prefer steel over ceramic/ carbon anytime..

InvestmentJunkie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Noticed that most are collecting 'modern' knives.
Any of you collect traditional folders.
I have three traditional folders - which you guys might find interesting.

3TraditionalFolders-1.jpg

Very beautiful. I love traditional knives but i'm more into fixed blades.

Care to intro us to the pictured knives? What make are they etc?

Sonic69

Reaction score
Anybody got a Kershaw Leek? I'm still not 100% sold on the blade shape. Thinking of replacing that purchase with the Kershaw Zing.

Hinata76

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looking for trades only.

AK74 bayonet for a khukuri

let me know if anyone keen.

viking

Reaction score
Very beautiful. I love traditional knives but i'm more into fixed blades.

Care to intro us to the pictured knives? What make are they etc?

Knives are all Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC). GEC started in 2006 but make traditional knives from the early 1900’s, using traditional handle materials with blades made from 1095 carbon steel. Knives are handmade in USA - in limited quantities (e.g. 35) with a portion of each run being serialized.

From top to bottom:
a. Northfield #85 Bullet End Jack (shape of handle); Cocobolo (handle material). Main blade - spearpoint; secondary blade - pen.
b. Northfield #72 Lockback; Purple Plum (jigged bone handle). Single blade - spearpoint.
c. Northfield #73 Trapper; Ebony. 1st blade - unique spearpoint; 2nd blade (half-open) - speyswedge).

For those interested, more info can be seen:
GEC Great Eastern Cutlery - YouTube

Sonic69

Reaction score
Its too late. Pulled the trigger. Sent my order liao.
I wasn't really happy with the super pointy blade shape of the Kershaw Leek, even though I loved the colour of the handles (red/black smoke). Looked around for a replacement and almost bought the Kershaw Blur Limited Edition Purple Aluminium handle with the Spider Web texture. Then I saw a video of it on Youtube showing that the finish of the aluminium handles were quite rough on the edges and decided against spending USD100 on it. Finally after about 2-3 days of constant research, I've decided that the Kershaw Zing Stainless Steel, frame lock, assisted opener with flipper 3" blade fits my purpose.
So, that's my current order. Looking forward to getting it in time for Xmas!!!

sojourn88

Reaction score
Ceramic knives.. whether Kyocera or not.. tell me what happens if you drop it .... not to the floor...maybe just drop it "lightly" onto the wash basin.... will break or crack or not?

sojourn88

Reaction score
double edged...looks like dagger.. it is a Hobbit sword....
this one can come in or not?? ... pretty...

UC2892.jpg

vespaguy

Reaction score
Ceramic knives.. whether Kyocera or not.. tell me what happens if you drop it .... not to the floor...maybe just drop it "lightly" onto the wash basin.... will break or crack or not?

It doesn't break that easily, but tge edge dings easily if you hit it at something hard. The plus about ceramic is it does stay sharp a looooong time and is very clean/easy to clean.

nyquist88

Reaction score
Hi, buying from Exduct for the first time. Seem like there are options of "Put Invoice in Package" and "No Invoice in Package" . Which options should i chose ?

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, buying from Exduct for the first time. Seem like there are options of "Put Invoice in Package" and "No Invoice in Package" . Which options should i chose ?

no issue unless your total invoice is GST chargeable..

vespaguy

Reaction score
anyone interested in a warren Thomas g10&ti laminated shikra neck knife? Ultralight and nice ano work. Special Xmas pricing too... Just clearing space:) 270 only :) it's normally 300usd + shipping I think.

sojourn88

Reaction score
yes. ICA hasn't adjusted for year on year inflation and material cost increase for a decade now...

ha.. i went to ICA couple of weeks ago to collect my spyderco Caly damascus... now total chargeable for GST is inclusive of shipping charges and insurance charges.
so...knife cost + shipping + insurance must be less than $400 to avoid GST.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.