EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't kill myself over a difference of $20, YMMV. I'm not familiar with the particular knife you're looking for, but knifecenter ships for a very reasonable rate, if the item is in stock (about USD15) and it's via UPS (about a week). I've never gotten anything from Roger/knifeworks. I normally use USPS Priority International at $17 for small flat rate, or for low value items, just first class shipping. If the dealer knows how to work with you, the small flat rate box actually has a shipping label no, so you can check when it arrives in Singapore. In any case, I tell the dealer I'll take the risk. I haven't bought from dealers direct in a long time...I have a friend that I direct packages too, then they ship it in bulk to me since many US sellers don't want to ship abroad.

sojourn88

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not too sure too. But the blems are free shipment within CONUS, so I can use a forwarder thereafter. Anyway, what would you recommend?

I found a kershaw shallot for $55 at Knifeworks. How do they ship? Any idea how much too?

I have done with knifeworks before. they are alright to ship direct. typically about USD45 by USPS priority post .so it is more worth it if u buy a few more to ship together.
beware forwarder. I have tried vpost and gateway... both are a No No.. they treat knives as weapons and will not ship it no matter what.

worcer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought with knifeworks once. Beware their international policy. They give me lousy box because i think they believe i wont return them. And they only do express international. So sad my knives boxes all look so shabby.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I wouldn't kill myself over a difference of $20, YMMV. I'm not familiar with the particular knife you're looking for, but knifecenter ships for a very reasonable rate, if the item is in stock (about USD15) and it's via UPS (about a week). I've never gotten anything from Roger/knifeworks. I normally use USPS Priority International at $17 for small flat rate, or for low value items, just first class shipping. If the dealer knows how to work with you, the small flat rate box actually has a shipping label no, so you can check when it arrives in Singapore. In any case, I tell the dealer I'll take the risk. I haven't bought from dealers direct in a long time...I have a friend that I direct packages too, then they ship it in bulk to me since many US sellers don't want to ship abroad.

I see. Hmm, their price seems rather steep for the kershaw knives. :( expensive hobby this is eh?
Any way, if I do wish to find a forwarder, which company is good? Then maybe can find people tompang purchase.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I have done with knifeworks before. they are alright to ship direct. typically about USD45 by USPS priority post .so it is more worth it if u buy a few more to ship together.
beware forwarder. I have tried vpost and gateway... both are a No No.. they treat knives as weapons and will not ship it no matter what.

Wa, so jialat. 1 knife USD$100. Sell buttocks already.
Forwarder wise, any recommendations?

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I bought with knifeworks once. Beware their international policy. They give me lousy box because i think they believe i wont return them. And they only do express international. So sad my knives boxes all look so shabby.

Hi! Thanks for the advice!
Boxes not priority. I'm using the kershaw shallot as an EDC.
Anyway, how are the quality of the knives received?

alantcy

Reaction score
I remember my first custom. Prior to then, I had spent money on productions but always just admired customs from afar....always saying that it was outa my reach. But when I looked at my drawer, the aggregated value of the productions was more than the price of a custom. Eureka. I sold my productions, then pooled the money into a custom. But always keeping one production for 'abusive use' of the blade. You know, when it's really dirty, or when you are travelling.

Hinderers are a little pricey now that the only way to get them is via the aftermarket. Dealers have set the price benchmark, and the fact that one cannot buy direct compounds it. But, the pleasure in handling a well made tool is, I feel, worth the many dinners, drinks, massages etc that I've sacrificed to pay for it. YMMV =:p=:p=:p

Happy New Year knife knuts! Gong Xi Fa Chai!

True, when you got expensive hobby + limited funds is always a compromise.
That said, there so many productions that are also high quality, different blade steels, shapes, handle materials, etc. so, I prefer getting more blade for the money than sacrificing all just for one piece unless its really unique.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Hello EDMW.

To all knife collectors out there, anyone want buy knife from USA? Looking to buy kershaw shallot black 1840CKT.
I finding people to tompang purchase to cut cost.

Can email me at burn_raven@hotmail.com

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any course on how to hand sharpen knife?

I don't know how to embed youtube videos (can someone help instruct me?) but if you search for Murray Carter's videos, they are really helpful and you'll also know that it's the technique and not the stone that counts. However, Murray advocates thinning out the primary edge - you may not want to do that unless you like the scratch up your bevels.

If you want to start slow and easy, buy the KAI coarse/fine stone (seafoam/light green in colour) at Taka/Tangs. It's $30 and a great stone to start with. Of course, if you want to buy the $5 carborundum stone, that works too, but I find the KAI to be just right...I can get shaving sharp edges off the stone if I strop it properly at the end.

You can strop using newspaper or an old leather belt.

Start with kitchen knives as they are thinner at the edge, so you will get results faster (encouraging) and be able to feel for and detect burrs etc

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
what's on your table?

decided to snap a few quickie shots to show a contrast between industrial heavy duty and sculptural art. You can also see the nicely milled one piece integral titanium handle of the tispine in the last few pics. The hinderer has an openback handle configuration.

IMG_1861_zpsbc2ef766.jpg

IMG_1860_zps9380f124.jpg

IMG_1852_zps53b14eb7.jpg

IMG_1857_zps230e76a9.jpg

IMG_1855_zpsee12d1d0.jpg

IMG_1854_zpsfd0d80ba.jpg

IMG_1859_zps73549a81.jpg

IMG_1858_zps71882b31.jpg

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
I can't imagine what other knives you have in your collection if you are selling these away. :)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine what other knives you have in your collection if you are selling these away. :)

I sell one to buy one in order to keep the hobby within my means....if someone buys these 2, I'd be happy to show the 2 new ones =:p :s22:

sojourn88

Reaction score
I sell one to buy one in order to keep the hobby within my means....if someone buys these 2, I'd be happy to show the 2 new ones =:p :s22:

HA>> i like this one! "someone buys these 2, I'd be happy to show the 2 new ones "
BTW, for anyone out there...vespaguy is selling a very attractive LionSteelTispine, attractive price too.i must say.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
HA>> i like this one! "someone buys these 2, I'd be happy to show the 2 new ones "
BTW, for anyone out there...vespaguy is selling a very attractive LionSteelTispine, attractive price too.i must say.

Hi, how much is the TiSpine going for? Is it the grey/ silver one that is seen with the hinderer below?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, how much is the TiSpine going for? Is it the grey/ silver one that is seen with the hinderer below?

Yes, the Tispine is the integral titanium handle pictured below the Hinderer. Very cool knife with one of the best steels out in the market now - ELMAX :lick::flash:

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
c'mon somebody buy my tispine....I have my eye on something that is still available, but is slowly slipping away unless I get the funds quickly in my paypal...haha.

Here's something I read on another forum re Elmax v. S35VN:

elmax is 30 % more abrasion resistance than 35v as well as being a true stainless with perhaps the best elastisity of the 3rd gen powder steels. almost as good as m390 in catra cutting tests. one knifemaker that uses lots of elmax is dale howe. he posts a lot on " 24 hour campfire" goes by mtman or mountain man. certainly there's not anything wrong with 35vn but it's a far cry from being in the league with superclean elmax. dale may be able to help you in finding a better selection in elmax. at 62 rockwell it cuts = to m390 at 61 rockwell.--knifeguy39

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
i have a hunch that some may be more interested in your Hinderer than your Tispine. Why not try bundle them together to make it more attractive? Just a suggestion :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.