EDMW Knife Collectors

Lonerider

Reaction score
your Snody Axis H&K is an AO folder?

Nope.. It's a manual. Happens every so often when you bring in knives. There's no way for them to tell if it's an AO, auto or manual knife short of physically opening the package and they are only allowed to do that in your presence. Which is why I need to go Paya Lebar to collect it. Just part of the knife collecting game.

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
15yvr7d.jpg

my sharpening clamp alginer

15plteb.jpg

clamping a knife in fixed angle [sorry for black background]

BlackWing1977

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LCSGM.jpg

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LCSGM.php

I played with this with some blunt kitchen knives (but must steel it a few times after sharpening) including a ZDP Santoku..... and it managed to make it sharp enough to slice through paper easily but I highly doubt the edge will last without going on a whetstone.... but it is simple enough for me to operate.... :s13:

Lonerider

Reaction score
my sharpening clamp aligner

clamping a knife in fixed angle [sorry for black background]

Ahhh... Now I get what you meant. For a while I thought you got the whole set for that price. What stone are you using with them? Bet that Dozier is shaving sharp now. I still say the pink one looks better. :D Just got my so called "flick knife" from AED. Damn ICA officers... There was a guy collecting 3 huge ice axes today. They were huge! :s31:

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... Now I get what you meant. For a while I thought you got the whole set for that price. What stone are you using with them? Bet that Dozier is shaving sharp now. I still say the pink one looks better. :D Just got my so called "flick knife" from AED. Damn ICA officers... There was a guy collecting 3 huge ice axes today. They were huge! :s31:

i got DMT continuous surface 6" by 2" in coarse #325 and fine #600 grits. there is also ultra fine in #1000 and ultra coarse (??? grit). all should be under USD 20 each. my clamp is 7.50 USD if i remember right. the tiny piece of stone is solid stainless steel embedded with diamonds. don't underestimate its weight although they look small. i ship via vpost. i find 6" by 2" big enough for most folders. 4" is kind of small but local fishing shop got sell. 6" cannot find locally ( at least i can't find at the moment)

pic of DMT off the iternet.
MODMD4C.jpg

then i move on to finer grits sandpaper. finally autosol on cardboard. i may buy the ultrafine as fine sand paper don't last long. investment may be cheaper in the long run. but budget is tight. i shall KIV.

my dozier is already factory sharpened, working quite well. i haven't re sharpened it yet. photo show dozier for clamping example sake only. but i can go further than the factory edge (i think). my SAKs are shaving sharp using the mentioned stones and method.

thanks for pointing where to get 100% mineral oil. i searched so many places finally got mine.

Last edited:

grenharware

Reaction score
Thanks lonerider too for pointing out where to get the pure mineral oil!

I was looking all over the shop (esp. pharmacies) for a pure bottle but couldn't find any. Was thinking of importing a bottle but felt stupid importing something as common as panadol here (it is that common in the States).

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
I was shopping at Ikea with the missus when I saw the oil on sale... She was kind of surprised I was so happy to find it. If only she knew why. Anyway, a google of mineral oil shows that it has many uses CLICK and yes, knife maintenance is one of them.

I won't be making any new acquisitions for a while as the knife collection has grown quite a bit. For the next one month or so I'll be working on maintenance and such. I'm weighting my options, either the DMT or EdgePro system but long term storage is the priority as I'll need to store my knife somewhere for a few months due to house moving.

If you were going overseas for a backpacking trip what kind of knife would you pack? I'm leaning towards a folder. Doubt I have time to receive my custom fixed blade in time as the maker estimates another 5month to completion. Folders should be easier to keep too I guess. May just bring along a SAK. Won't have any trouble with customs as it's rail, bus and lots of walking for 9days.

grenharware

Reaction score
Lonerider,

My preference for backpacking is 1 fixed blade paired with a folder.

Fixed blade: Fallkniven S1 (w/ custom handle):
Being a knife nut, hours of research and lurking on knife forums saw me acquiring this one hardy outdoors knife. With a laminated VG-10 blade with G-10 handles, this will last me a looonnng while! :s7: See the stock version here: http://www.fallkniven.com/S1new.html

DSC07069.jpg

Folder: Victorinox Forester
Bought this cheaply when Sng Arms Chinatown branch had their closing sale a few years ago. Even imported a nice mini screwdriver (see corkscrew) that can nicely handle spectacle screws. See it here: http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=182&lang=E
DSC07178.jpg

Both knives are under 6" and can handle a great variety of tasks. I have yet to use the Fallkniven but the Victorinox is good. I'll be off to Ikea to get some mineral oil for myself! Safe to eat yet keeps rust off knives handling food!

Lonerider

Reaction score
That my friend is a sweet looking knife! Good move customising the handle with G10 as if there's one thing I've always hated about the S1 it's the rubber handle. They can call it Thermorun or any other fancy names but it is rubber. That and I hate their Kydex sheathes. The leather one looks good but when I was in PCG we were issued leather sheathes, didn't last long and the moisture they collect meant we had to keep polishing and oiling the blades. Of course it didn't help that they gave us crappy POS knives. VG-10 however is a good steel, plenty of experience with them as I'm a big Spyderco fan.

For the moment I've settled on my trusty Endura. I like your idea of having a backup blade too.I'll look at the Vics at Sng Arms later next week since I need to shop for a few miscellaneous stuff at army mkt. Can't believe it, searched everywhere and I couldn't find my tent pegs.May go tomorrow if I have time after my pilgrimage to Aquarama. I've a few Vics but they're all alox models or too small, I'd rather beat up a plastic handled one, alox ones are too pretty I guess. I'll skip the fixed blade this time round as I'm trying to lessen my load and I doubt I have time to wait for another shipment. I'll be hauling a 60litres pack while the wife is packing 30litres. No prize for guessing who'll be carrying most of the heavy equipments.

Last edited:

InvestmentJunkie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you were going overseas for a backpacking trip what kind of knife would you pack? I'm leaning towards a folder. Doubt I have time to receive my custom fixed blade in time as the maker estimates another 5month to completion. Folders should be easier to keep too I guess. May just bring along a SAK. Won't have any trouble with customs as it's rail, bus and lots of walking for 9days.

Depends on what you envision yourself doing. An SAK will probably do 99% of the things you require, unless you're walking through some heavy terrain and need a parang to clear the path.

For me, a light and strong 4 inch fixed blade knife with a comfortable handle will probably be able to do everything I require. If needed to, I can even cut down fairly large sized trees with it and split the logs for firewood. I've found that the more skills I learn in using a knife, the smaller it needs to be.

SaDnEsS82

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting some 'stuff' online to start a mini collection. Can someone guide me on that?

Kindly do this via pm? Which I think it's the best for this thread and other collectors?

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
where you get that Kabar Dozier Folder?
how much $?
thank.

Try eBay... Especially if you're only getting one knife. Under USD20 for this one... As low as USD18. Lots of colours, opening options (hole or stud) and blade shape (drop point, spear, guthook). Price varies depending on model.

i_got_a_question_to_ask

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
next time who is going to order pleasse tell me. i got good reputation one. i don't pangseh order.

or i also can order. so long as got people share shipping.

PM me :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.