EDMW Knife Collectors

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
I didn't want to bother her for the pics so I took them myself.

No, it's not super mirror finished or made from pure chrome, just the crappy exposure. Forgive me as anything more high-tech than a piece of metal and a handle is anathema to me.

Like lonerider said, I've no inclination to photograph my stuff. Not when there are so many professionally taken photographs out there that I can use.

The link dies in a week, I think it's for the best. I don't want people to have misconceptions about these fine knives because of my crummy photography skills.

Also I'll go work on my post count, so that the rest of my collection can become real. Looks like I can only have 3 real knives now. I don't mean to be a dick, but this is too funny to let up :)

6839-27555.jpg

6839-27556.jpg

Lonerider

Reaction score
I didn't want to bother her for the pics so I took them myself.

No, it's not super mirror finished or made from pure chrome, just the crappy exposure. Forgive me as anything more high-tech than a piece of metal and a handle is anathema to me.

Like lonerider said, I've no inclination to photograph my stuff. Not when there are so many professionally taken photographs out there that I can use.

The link dies in a week, I think it's for the best. I don't want people to have misconceptions about these fine knives because of my crummy photography skills.

Also I'll go work on my post count, so that the rest of my collection can become real. Looks like I can only have 3 real knives now. I don't mean to be a dick, but this is too funny to let up :)

Damn those are beautiful pieces... Good buy IMO. I'm not really excited about the Umnumzaan though, handled it before but it's just not for me. Something about how it feels in my hand though I like Ti as much as the next guy. Of the CRKs the small Sebenza is one of those knives I've always meant to get but never did. Hard for me to justify spending so much on a production knife even though it's a really good one. The DDR on the other hand looks very cool. I like how the grooves are milled into the handle and the flipper tang looks a bit like one of those mods they do on the 1911 cocking hammer... What's the spine thickness on it? Blade steel? Flips open good?

BTW where did you find that display case?

Last edited:

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
Well ya the sebbies are expensive. Why don't you get a bradley alias II instead? It's basically like a small sebenza at half the price.

The DDR is sweet, blade spine is 0.15", CPM S30V and actuation is lighting fast. I'm glad I snatched it up. $400 from $525, what a steal. Currently my best buy, but that might change when I get my tighe breaker :)

My pics are ****ty so here's some proper pics of the DDR Trigger Maze and the Tighe breaker.

c.jpg

o.jpg

tighebreaker.JPG

Yes, I'm unashamed to admit I have wet dreams over them every night :)

Yes, anyone who wants to fondle is more than welcomed, but rule of you touch mine I touch yours applies :)

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
Well ya the sebbies are expensive. Why don't you get a bradley alias II instead? It's basically like a small sebenza at half the price.

The DDR is sweet, blade spine is 0.15", CPM S30V and actuation is lighting fast. I'm glad I snatched it up. $400 from $525, what a steal. Currently my best buy, but that might change when I get my tighe breaker :)

My pics are ****ty so here's some proper pics of the DDR Trigger Maze and the Tighe breaker.

Yes, anyone who wants to fondle is more than welcomed, but rule of you touch mine I touch yours applies :)

Kart, although u claim to be a new collector, i can see that u are already deeply poisoned liao hahaha. If you keep this up sooner or later u r gona put down a 8 bill for one hehehe.

My folders collection are not as heavy weight as yours though, mostly spydercos and kershaws, but i've got a really nice fixed blade coming in and kana really tempted to pull the trigger on another, but that is really gona screw up my budget :s13: how, to do or not to do?:s13::s13:

Lonerider

Reaction score
Kart, although u claim to be a new collector, i can see that u are already deeply poisoned liao hahaha. If you keep this up sooner or later u r gona put down a 8 bill for one hehehe.

My folders collection are not as heavy weight as yours though, mostly spydercos and kershaws, but i've got a really nice fixed blade coming in and kana really tempted to pull the trigger on another, but that is really gona screw up my budget :s13: how, to do or not to do?:s13::s13:

Actually Spydercos are very collectible... And they aren't what I consider cheap knives either; at least not all of them. My Sprint Run Manix was bought for $150 last year. It's now selling at at the 220-250 range right now. If I have 2 of them I'd consider selling but I'll probably hang on to them till the kids need to go to college.

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually Spydercos are very collectible... And they aren't what I consider cheap knives either; at least not all of them. My Sprint Run Manix was bought for $150 last year. It's now selling at at the 220-250 range right now. If I have 2 of them I'd consider selling but I'll probably hang on to them till the kids need to go to college.

Ya, they make great heirlooms, if i ever have kids i'll want to leave my collection to them too. The designs and build all speak of an era. Initially i did find the Spydercos design ugly:s13: But after i purchased my first one, dang, as they say, the bug bit me :s13:

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
I started off strictly with production models. Then after getting the CRKT My Tighe, I just had to be a nosey turd. I went to check out Brian Tighe's website. Bloody Tighe Breaker was like a siren, singing to me. I wrote to him merely inquiring about the knife, he replied saying he had one left. Bugger really knew how to hook and reel. The DDR came next... and now I'm finding myself more and more drawn to customs. It's a slippery slope :( *sigh*

Now it's only a matter of time before I use one of my collection to increase my collection :)

Speaking of spydies, I too, used to think that they were butt ugly. I couldn't tell 1 model from the next and didn't understand how there could be hundreds of different ones. Having handled a couple now, I understand what the fuss is about. In fact my wave delica4 is my designated user blade. I'm coupling it with this baby for pure magic: http://nbtnoel.mnsi.net/speeddialers.htm. Since there are too many spydie models, I'm limiting myself to the MBC ones. So far I got the P'kal and Gunting. Need the Lil'Temperance and Yojimbo then I'll be done till they roll a new one out.

By the way, I think I hit another jackpot on BF. Strider GG SNG $285, too good to be true?

Last edited:

Lonerider

Reaction score
I'm limiting myself to the MBC ones. So far I got the P'kal and Gunting. Need the Lil'Temperance and Yojimbo then I'll be done till they roll a new one out.

By the way, I think I hit another jackpot on BF. Strider GG SNG $285, too good to be true?

Don't forget the Civillian... One of the nastiest MBC blade around. $285 for a used SNG would be very decent, for a new one it's almost unheard of.

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
Don't forget the Civillian... One of the nastiest MBC blade around. $285 for a used SNG would be very decent, for a new one it's almost unheard of.

I'm not using Spyderco's definition of MBC, which if I'm not mistaken, refers only to lock strength. I'm getting blades designed by real martal artists. It's my other hobby.

Well, the guy claimed 99% condition. If true, good as new for me. I usually see SNGs going for around the $400 range. Does anyone here actually own a strider? I've heard good things and not so good things. At that price point for a knife that size, that is not a full custom or a art knife, you'd think it could slice by pressure wave alone.

Also I'm looking to liquidate some of my collection. The production models anyways, make room for customs. They're all new, with their boxes and any other papers, and have only cut a single sheet of paper as a sharpness test. This offer is only for those who usually get their stuff locally. I'll go below the price point of merchants here. For those who eBay, I'm sure you can find better deals elsewhere.

However, anyone who has their stuff at customs should know the capricious and arbitrary nature of its workings. Sometimes your stuff is ok, sometimes its confiscated. Two of my friend's manual folding knives failed their "test", as the guy who was checking deemed them to be flick knives. All they had were axis locks, which the tester actuated and swung the balde out. The knives got sent to the AED and were almost gone for good, when the checker there said his colleague already checked and they were illegal. By his colleague the guy actually meant the first guy in customs. Luckily my friend insisted that the AED guy himself check the knives. They were thankfully saved.

Protesting or reasoning with custom officers seldom work, as their understanding of knife law is limited, and they rather err on the side on caution. Compounding the problem is the fact that individual officers have a different interpretation of that limited knowledge. Resulting in my friend's blade which is below 4" to be sent to the AED, while my big-ass Rukus over 4" arrived at my doorstep. Yep my friend hates me very much :). His face when I waltz out of customs with my Rajah was priceless.

If you want any of my knives just pm me. I've plenty which I haven't listed, ask and I might just have it. :) Hands off the customs, eyes only :)

Lonerider

Reaction score
I'm not using Spyderco's definition of MBC, which if I'm not mistaken, refers only to lock strength. I'm getting blades designed by real martial artists. It's my other hobby.

Well, the guy claimed 99% condition. If true, good as new for me. I usually see SNGs going for around the $400 range. Does anyone here actually own a strider? I've heard good things and not so good things. At that price point for a knife that size, that is not a full custom or a art knife, you'd think it could slice by pressure wave alone.

All they had were axis locks, which the tester actuated and swung the blade out

For Spyderco MBC does not refer specifically to lock strength... more of blade shape and indexing. If you get a Civilian the paperwork that comes with it says specifically that it is not a utility knife.

As for the SNG, I've handled one... Very chunky blade. Grind was a bit too thick for me as I prefer slicers. Fit and finish can be an issue as quite a few forum members have mentioned lock-up was good but blade centering and handle finishing was not perfect but Strider has always insisted that their knives are meant to be used as such these were considered non-issues. If I dole out $400 I'd expect perfect fit and finish. My advise is to ask for plenty of high resolution photos before transferring the monies to the seller.

You should put up some knife photos if you are planning to sell. I never buy without looking at photos.

I had issues bringing in Axis knives too. The old coot insisted it was a flick knife. Just be glad they do not do a 100% check.

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
For Spyderco MBC does not refer specifically to lock strength... more of blade shape and indexing. If you get a Civilian the paperwork that comes with it says specifically that it is not a utility knife.

As for the SNG, I've handled one... Very chunky blade. Grind was a bit too thick for me as I prefer slicers. Fit and finish can be an issue as quite a few forum members have mentioned lock-up was good but blade centering and handle finishing was not perfect but Strider has always insisted that their knives are meant to be used as such these were considered non-issues. If I dole out $400 I'd expect perfect fit and finish. My advise is to ask for plenty of high resolution photos before transferring the monies to the seller.

You should put up some knife photos if you are planning to sell. I never buy without looking at photos.

I had issues bringing in Axis knives too. The old coot insisted it was a flick knife. Just be glad they do not do a 100% check.

How about the ball locks on the manix? would it be a problem with customs? Anyway i do like axis locks but looking thru the forums it seems that there are some ppl who experience broken omega springs. That would be a no no for survivor applications imho, although you could always stuff something in it to lock the blade.

Lonerider

Reaction score
How about the ball locks on the manix? would it be a problem with customs? Anyway i do like axis locks but looking thru the forums it seems that there are some ppl who experience broken omega springs. That would be a no no for survivor applications imho, although you could always stuff something in it to lock the blade.

When you actuate an Axis the blade pops out just so slightly which was why he felt they were flick knives. This doesn't happen with the BBL. Doubt I'd need a knife for survival in SG but when I'm overseas camping and hiking I carry a fixed blade and a small folder as backup.

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
When you actuate an Axis the blade pops out just so slightly which was why he felt they were flick knives. This doesn't happen with the BBL. Doubt I'd need a knife for survival in SG but when I'm overseas camping and hiking I carry a fixed blade and a small folder as backup.

Oh not survival in Sg, for eg. the doug ritter grip, which is a very good folder imho, S30v blade and all (may get one if it is possible in sg). It seems to be marketed for extreme conditions ie to me survival situations etc.. I mean if the axis lock works, sure it is strong but if the springs should fail, in extreme conditions, it would be a real hassle. Not bashing benchmade (they make excellent knives) or axis locks (very strong locks), just some of my personal observations though.:o

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
The MBC knives that I want are those that are designed by martial artist. I don't know if the civilian falls into that category. Those knives however are not as practical as those "vanilla" ones, and you have to know the specific system well to use them. I just like them for their novelty is all.

There's not many chances to use a blade here, unless I decide to use my umnumzaan for a steak knife, it's not gonna see any action. Ironically the more well-made a knife, the less likely it's to be used, cause of the price.

I'm getting a photographer friend to help me snap pics of my collection. In the mean time anyone who's interested in a specifc knife and would like a pic, would get my crappy version.

By the way, do you guys organise fondling sessions? I would love to participate and contribute.

grenharware

Reaction score
Welcome here Kart!

Yup you ain't going to use knives here unless they are for everyday tasks, eg. opening boxes, cutting paper, etc. Maybe whittling a pencil? :s8:

I would love to see some pics of the Umnumzaan and the SOG Fatcat! (I'm a huge SOG fan btw.)

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

tighebreaker.JPG

Holy crap... I like this one :eek:

$400 = USD or SGD?

Kartoffeln

Reaction score
Welcome here Kart!

Yup you ain't going to use knives here unless they are for everyday tasks, eg. opening boxes, cutting paper, etc. Maybe whittling a pencil? :s8:

I would love to see some pics of the Umnumzaan and the SOG Fatcat! (I'm a huge SOG fan btw.)

Thanks for the welcome. The only use I have for my knives are to open packages of my knives. It's a self sustaining process :)

Getting my friend to snap pics of my stuff, but it'll be slow going, as I have alot to lug over to his place. Don't have my knife pouch yet so the problem is compounded. Plus I can't justify having 20+ knives on my body when I set off the metal detector all the way at AED.

Just got my Tighe Breaker too, it's as lovely as the picture suggests. Well worth the excruciating wait.

Yep, it's USD, wish it was SGD.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.