EDMW Knife Collectors

twinings

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys, wanna import kabar knife with specification of Blade length 9", Overall length 14 5/8"

this one can pass boh? the restriction is 10" right?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, wanna import kabar knife with specification of Blade length 9", Overall length 14 5/8"

this one can pass boh? the restriction is 10" right?

AFAIK, there is no 'set' length. Singapore law is not based on length of the blade. Some items are scheduled items, so regardless of the length, it is prohibited/restricted. For eg. balisongs, automatics, flick/graivity knives, trench knives, daggers

where to buy these kind of knife?

and about those "flick knifes" isnt that ******* dangerous?

what if you press the button accidentally when your fingers are curled around the knife? then your ****ing fingers sure get slcied off.

Automatics are prohibited in Singapore, thus illegal to possess. Once in awhile, some guy will tell you how he managed to bring this in. But if the police find this on you, for eg. you have an unrelated incident at home (say, altercation between family members), the police visit you and interview you and notice you have some autos/OTF/side openers etc., the police may charge you for possession on an unlawful item. Many incarcerated individuals have such charges on their rap sheet...you'd be surprised. I'm not sure what the fascination for autos are, I have found many manual knives to be as fast opening. If you really want to open your folder quickly for your intended purposes, practice your technique or buy a waved folder.

Hi guys, just wondering if Kershaws Speed Safe technology is allowed in Singapore? I am aware that Kershaw claims that their knives with Speed Safe mechanism are NOT considered switchblades but i just want to double check with you guys.

I once bought an SOG Power Assist multitool, it has the SOG Assisted Technology, and it was delivered with no fuss at all. So im not sure if it went through customs fine because it was a multitool instead of a knife or because the SOG Assisted Technology is allowed.

Just for your info, im looking at Kershaw Leek, Shallot, Chive, Scallion and Cryo.
All of which uses the Kershaw Speed Safe technology.

And, if by any chance anyone letting go any of the knives listed above, do contact me! Thanks! :)

I believe they are classified as 'autos' in Singapore context if the police wanted to charge you. Do you have $$ for a lawyer and is your lawyer familiar with the various classification of knives in the US, and does US law apply in Singapore? Probably no on all counts. Singapore law allows the police / DPP to charge you for simply possessing a knife for unlawful purposes. If you have an assited opener, it will give the wrong perception that (i) it's an auto; (ii) you want a fast opening device; (iii) you're up to no good or are a mall ninja. 3 strong reasons why you're more likely to be charged for possession of an offensive weapon than someone who is carrying a Spyderco delica/SAK and who uses it for cutting bait/fishing.

faziwuzy138

Reaction score
Alright thanks! I'll find something else then. Any knife to recommend for edc purpose?
I prefer an all steel construction such as the Kershaw Onion series. I do prefer a plain edge recurved blade but i'll consider other choices too, just no tantos please. Size have to be medium to small, the type that fits your palm just nice. Budget below $100. No particular preference with the locking mechanism. Thanks in advance!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
All steel means it's heavy. I recommend you look at benchmade and spyderco models.

twinings

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, there is no 'set' length. Singapore law is not based on length of the blade. Some items are scheduled items, so regardless of the length, it is prohibited/restricted. For eg. balisongs, automatics, flick/graivity knives, trench knives, daggers

fixed blade.

5704Detail.png

viking

Reaction score
Alright thanks! I'll find something else then. Any knife to recommend for edc purpose?
I prefer an all steel construction such as the Kershaw Onion series. I do prefer a plain edge recurved blade but i'll consider other choices too, just no tantos please. Size have to be medium to small, the type that fits your palm just nice. Budget below $100. No particular preference with the locking mechanism. Thanks in advance!

You might want to consider the CRKT Drifter Stainless Knife 6450S. Ideal for edc with Weight: 3.2 oz. (91 g) and Blade: Length: 2.875” (7.3 cm).
It's also light on your wallet - you can probably buy 3 for $100. :s13:

faziwuzy138

Reaction score
You might want to consider the CRKT Drifter Stainless Knife 6450S. Ideal for edc with Weight: 3.2 oz. (91 g) and Blade: Length: 2.875” (7.3 cm).
It's also light on your wallet - you can probably buy 3 for $100. :s13:

oh wow! that is nice indeed! and at that price point i have nothing to complain! Thanks man! Do you think Sheares sell these cheaper or should i just buy em online which i found around $40?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
you should experience buying online, and getting familiar with the imex of edged tools etc. It will make it more fun. You can get good deals online, but it comes with risks as well. When you buy from a brick and mortar shop, the risk is eliminated but you pay a little more (they have to pay the overheads etc, as opposed to a pure online dealer).

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks viix for posting.

I was on leave today and decided to take a pic of the blades on my table to share with fellow enthusiasts. Since seeing a Saji at Sheares about 12 years ago, I've always liked the semi-rustic knives made by that Japanese bladesmith. I did get a custom order once (a machete) but sold it to fund other purchases. That blade would take a leg off, no kidding =:p. This smaller utility blade has the same forged suminagashi cladded steel as Saji-san favours. Screaming sharp too, with a convexed blade.

The Rogers kwaiken is a stark modern contrast to the Saji...all modern materials :s13:

The Strider SJ75s (I wonder why it's called skyjuice75:s11:) is a pre-production version with the distinct hollow grind (the production versions are flat grind) and only the flats have the stonewashed finish. The contrasting finishes really make this blade pop. Add the 'dragon' spine serrations on the blade spine and handle...this little big folder is so unlike the other Strider folders (all of which I have handled and sold as they did not fit my hand and had various fit and finish issues). This guy is a perfect EDC (although it can still be improved by having a deeper carry clip)....small but still with a big wide blade....just perfect for slicing that salami, steak and veggies (I use my knives for cooking mostly). The S35V is nothing to shout about....but is not difficult to sharpen. The lines of this folder remind me of the Spyderco Caly 3, one of my all time favourites.

Last edited:

nilfire77

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Letting go of my LNIB DPx HEST 2.0 Folder(S$200) to fund other knife purchase. Knife comes with box and tool and is never used and never carried. 2nd from right in the pic below. Lemme know if you are interested. Thanks!

front-1.jpg

I can consider trades too! CRK or Strider with me topping up the difference.

Last edited:

nilfire77

Reaction score
you should experience buying online, and getting familiar with the imex of edged tools etc. It will make it more fun. You can get good deals online, but it comes with risks as well. When you buy from a brick and mortar shop, the risk is eliminated but you pay a little more (they have to pay the overheads etc, as opposed to a pure online dealer).

Bro.. according to my experience.. it's A LOT MORE... carrot chopping more... lol

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
nice collection there nilfire77, very impressive;)

Pricing is always a touchy and sensitive. There're many variables, especially customs. You may end up paying many times over the maker's price, due to rarity or availability. I do agree that for productions, as long as you are not paying more than msrp, it is a good deal. Some knives are discounted by 20%, some only 5%, some none. Then throw in shipping risk, insurance, PayPal fees, time spent collecting items, a&e etc. hinderers are usd850 from dealers, although a lot less from Rick, but Rick doesn't sell direct. When I was younger, I only looked at price. Now that I have a lot of work commitments, time is invaluable. Exchanges are also troublesome when dealing cross order, plus there's gst for packages above $400. At the end of the day, you must be happy:)

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
where/when do you use your knife most?

seeing that I have a low post count and can't post pics/links =:p, I thought I'd start this topic. Where/when do you use your knife most? Is it for work (opening boxes/pallets/letters)? Is it for food prep? Is it for camping? fishing? gardening? or it is purely for admiration and desk diving? it'll be interesting to see what you guys do with your knives...

For me, since I cook almost everyday, my knives see most use in the kitchen (not my folders, but my kitchen-style blades). Other than that, it's letter opening duties on weekdays =:p and when I travel or go camping, it's just all round use ....especially food :s13:. I don't abuse my knives (except in the kitchen) and if there's heavy digging or scraping, I'll just use my SAK or leatherman.

Of course, I have some knives that just sit in their boxes, never to be used but only admired ;)

What about you?

Hinata76

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
didnt managed to read all the posts..but....what is the legal length of the knives?

also when legal length is it from blade to blade or blade tip to handles?

lastly...anyone bought from focalprice/dealextreme? saw some nice ones..

eternalxiii

Master Member
Reaction score
This is not a knife but i imported it...
Its meant for decorative purposes, and i got it from ebay coz caesars is so ex -.-

$(KGrHqZHJEUFBggwK(kmBQg-Kh19Dw~~60_57.JPG

Will get through customs or not? I did apply for a arms license just to import it, and put the date of arrival approx 1st nov, but it says need 2 weeks to process the application, and my item should be arriving in a few days. Whats gonna happen lol any experienced guys know?

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
This is not a knife but i imported it...
Its meant for decorative purposes, and i got it from ebay coz caesars is so ex -.-

Will get through customs or not? I did apply for a arms license just to import it, and put the date of arrival approx 1st nov, but it says need 2 weeks to process the application, and my item should be arriving in a few days. Whats gonna happen lol any experienced guys know?

Not exactly sure on swords but for typical prohobited items, it will be held with ica until you produce the license to retrieve it. They will send u a letter notifying the arrival and requiring a license, then another reminder before they return or dispose it.. Just inform them and they will wait for it.. That was mine experience when I got some radio transmitter parts requiring a license..
Pity, since it's a gaw :)
Well, possibly trying to reduce unneccesary public spotlight.. There was a reporter here last time asking to interview and see some of the collections.. I believed everyone contacted here declined/ignored since it might draw unnecessary attention..

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.