Electricity consumption?

TimberWolfMk2

Reaction score
Hi all, I moved into my new place (4rm HDB resale) about 1 month ago and just received my latest electricity bill from SP. Huge shock as electricity alone is ~$150 for 620 kWh total consumption. Looking at the hourly consumption patterns, the bulk seems to come from switching on the aircon during dinner time and at night when sleeping. Old house was never this high before....not sure if the aircon system (Mitsubishi System 4 MSY-GE10VAx2/GE13VA/24VA) I inherited from the previous owners is the cause since its only 2 ticks for energy efficiency. Anyone able to share your electricity consumption especially the aircon? Thanks

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what is your previous house consumption and set up like? 620kWh for daily aircon usage is not unusual, maybe the current apartment is larger and warmer (more west sun facing?), hence requires more cooling energy.

sacredx

Reaction score
I am in 4rm too. My aircon system 4 should be more than 5 years old but with 4 ticks. I turned on 2 of my aircon for at least 8 hours a day and another one for 3 hours (Kid's nap time) and consumed around 400-450kWh per month

darcbleu

Reaction score
Hi all, I moved into my new place (4rm HDB resale) about 1 month ago and just received my latest electricity bill from SP. Huge shock as electricity alone is ~$150 for 620 kWh total consumption. Looking at the hourly consumption patterns, the bulk seems to come from switching on the aircon during dinner time and at night when sleeping. Old house was never this high before....not sure if the aircon system (Mitsubishi System 4 MSY-GE10VAx2/GE13VA/24VA) I inherited from the previous owners is the cause since its only 2 ticks for energy efficiency. Anyone able to share your electricity consumption especially the aircon? Thanks
2 ticks might play a part too.

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

mine 1800kwh bill come up to $300

cheongking888

Reaction score
Mine is about 650 to 750kwh every month. 4 adults stay. 2 units of 5 ticks Daikin Smile condensers with 2 X 9 btu, 2 X 12 btu and 1 X 18 btu FCUs, 2 fridges, 2 water storage heaters, 1 washing machine and induction stove.

Usage pattern is : 2 X 9 btu FCUs are turned on 12 to 18 hours daily due to WFH. 2 fridges are on 24/7. One fridge is for storage purpose and seldom open. The other always open and use. Cook 2 meals everyday on induction stove. Not using gas at all. Use conventional oven once a week about 2 hours for baking and grilling. For quick grill, I will use air fryer. Water heaters turn on as and when taking shower. Use Washing machine thrice a week without hot water.

I think the ticks of aircon play a part. My other apartment which is rented out to 5 adults with 1 system 4 (3 ticks) LG condenser with 3 x 9 btu and 1 X 12 btu FCU. 1 fridge, 1 washing machine and 1 water storage heater. Usage pattern is : all 4 FCUs are on 12 hours, 1 fridge is 24/7 and storage heater is on as and when taking shower. The usage is about 700 to 850kwh. Cooking is by gas. Washing is 5 times a week.

TimberWolfMk2

Reaction score
what is your previous house consumption and set up like? 620kWh for daily aircon usage is not unusual, maybe the current apartment is larger and warmer (more west sun facing?), hence requires more cooling energy.
Previous place was a HDB 5I, monthly bill on average only about $120 for same usage pattern. Can't rem the aircon models in the old place though

dareaper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Previous place was a HDB 5I, monthly bill on average only about $120 for same usage pattern. Can't rem the aircon models in the old place though
Electricity price has increased significantly in the last few months, even for the OEM providers. Last time can get about 18 cents/kwh, now is close to 25 cents/kwh even with 2 years contract. Maybe this is why your bill increased from 120 to 150? :crazy:

TimberWolfMk2

Reaction score
Mine is about 650 to 750kwh every month. 4 adults stay. 2 units of 5 ticks Daikin Smile condensers with 2 X 9 btu, 2 X 12 btu and 1 X 18 btu FCUs, 2 fridges, 2 water storage heaters, 1 washing machine and induction stove.

Usage pattern is : 2 X 9 btu FCUs are turned on 12 to 18 hours daily due to WFH. 2 fridges are on 24/7. One fridge is for storage purpose and seldom open. The other always open and use. Cook 2 meals everyday on induction stove. Not using gas at all. Use conventional oven once a week about 2 hours for baking and grilling. For quick grill, I will use air fryer. Water heaters turn on as and when taking shower. Use Washing machine thrice a week without hot water.

I think the ticks of aircon play a part. My other apartment which is rented out to 5 adults with 1 system 4 (3 ticks) LG condenser with 3 x 9 btu and 1 X 12 btu FCU. 1 fridge, 1 washing machine and 1 water storage heater. Usage pattern is : all 4 FCUs are on 12 hours, 1 fridge is 24/7 and storage heater is on as and when taking shower. The usage is about 700 to 850kwh. Cooking is by gas. Washing is 5 times a week.
My current place is 2 adults; 2x10, 1x13 and 1x24 BTU; 1 fridge; 1 induction stove; 1 oven; 1 microwave; 1 washing machine and 1 storage heater.

The 13 BTU is on when we go to bed until we wake up (~7-8hrs) with default cooling mode set to 23 degrees. The 24 BTU in living room is only on during meals (~1hr lunch, ~2hrs dinner) with default cooling mode set to 24 degrees. 1 of the 10 BTU unit sometimes switched on during the day for 1hr to cool down the office since WFH; the other unit is never used. PC and laptop switched on from 9am until 6.30pm (laptop)/12am (PC). Induction stove/microwave/oven are underutilized, maybe once a week. Washing machine is used approx 2-3x a week. Water heater switched on 10-15mins before showers (average 10mins duration).

I've checked with other friends who are using systems with 5 ticks and switch on their aircons almost 24/7, but somehow their total consumption is around 350-450 kWh only. Doesn't really make sense that 2 adults with our usage pattern will consume so much more than our friends.

Thinking if I should just change the entire system to a more efficient one but that will set us back by ~$5000; assuming that cuts my consumption in half, my cost savings will be $75 x 12 x 5 yrs (until MOP) = $4500. Not sure if that justifies changing.

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Knn my bill Keppel electric from 0.168 kwh going to 0.258 now…. Wtf!!!!!

halfnode

Reaction score
whole world demand for gas gg up, but supply never catch up from covid period

bujingyun82

Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...icity-plan-see-power-bills-balloon-in-october
Those on wholesale plans worse…

“One affected consumer, Ms Catherine Chee, a 23-year-old auditor, saw her monthly electricity bill more than double to $449 from the usual $188.

She has been paying for electricity at wholesale prices for about nine months.

"My consumption remained the same," she said, adding that electricity grid operator SP Group, which allows people to pay for electricity at wholesale prices, should have informed customers about the price increase.

"This is daylight robbery during the pandemic," added Ms Chee, a Malaysian. "Life is tough when you need to send money back home (and) pay for the increase in electricity bill," she said.”

mikeeeey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
come to think of it, retailers also jialat ah.. now got to swallow the increment but stick to old rate for those signed fixed rates x no. of years

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.