[EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS THREAD] - How To Pack An Emergency Bag & Related Discussions(in SG context) - Part 2

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS THREAD] - How To Pack An Emergency Bag & Related Discussions(in SG context)

The reason why I am starting this thread is because no one has ever started a thread on this topic(especially a long-running one).

The purpose of this thread is for everyone to contribute and to share/discuss about:

- How to pack an Emergency Survival Bag.

- The items that you should have in a Emergency Survival Bag(in the Singapore context).

- Tips and tricks on how to pack the most number of things into the least amount of space so that you can reduce the weight of your Emergency Survival Bag.

- Recommendations of hi-tech gear, nifty gadgets, new inventions and other space-saving ideas for your Emergency Survival Bag to make things easier for you and your family during an emergency situation and to increase your chances of survival.

- Also, other related discussions in this thread:

The:
- who
- what
- when
- where
...of surviving a variety of emergency situations(war/blackout/terrorist attack/bomb explosion/fire/emergency first-aid & CPR, etc.) in the Singapore context.

If you have any in-depth knowledgable in any particular area that is being discussed in this thread, do share your knowledge with everyone so that all of us can learn something from one another.

The tips and knowledge you share here may come back to you in a good karmic way one day when someone in the future uses that knowledge that you have shared here to save your or your family's life.

I shall end this first post by asking everyone:

Have you ever thought of packing an Emergency Survival Bag? If so, what things have you packed inside?

How well-prepared you are to deal with an emergency situation?

You are welcome to post pictures of your own Emergency Survival Bag, what you have inside, etc. You can also embed Youtube videos, tutorials, etc. relating to the topic.

*Addendum*

This is a new initiative that has just been rolled out nationwide. Free-of-charge. I highly encourage one and all to sign up. Please note that you can choose between:

NwbgQfG.jpg

or

pFGUhRw.jpg

Please note that because this initiative is new and has just been rolled out nationwide, do check back again with the community centre of your choice if they do not have the course date information available yet. As far as I know, certain community centres in Singapore have already begun allowing enrolment for the certification programmes above.

* I shall be updating the first post in this thread with the above information for easy reference.

Threadstarter, you can post this on your first post

Got free courses n programmes by PA that is emergency preparedness related. they even have a interest group, Community Emergency Response Team(CERT). Its a collaboration with SCDF & Police to engage the community on Emergency Preparedness.

can go to this url to register:
https://www.iknowmyneighbours.com/cert.aspx

CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT is an organised group of volunteers equipped with special training to respond to an emergency and assist the community in the recovery process. The main role of the CERT is to strengthen the emergency response capabilities of the local community.

First formed in 2004 at the Residents' Committee and Neighbourhood Committee zonal level to support the C2E, CERT members are made up of grassroots leaders and residents who are staying in the vicinity. Being closer to the ground, they can respond to an emergency before the arrival of the emergency authorities. CERT members assist in rendering basic first aid, evacuation and crowd control before and after the emergency authorities arrive.

What is your role as a CERT member?

Help the community respond to and recover from emergencies
Disseminate critical information to residents
Work together with constituency emergency units to organise EP days and other EP programmes for residents
Help identify residents requiring special assistance during emergencies

You can receive the following trainings:

Community Emergency Preparedness Programme (CEPP)
Standard First Aid Awareness (SFA-A)
Standard First Aid Training (with 3 years certification)
Managing Crisis Behaviour Workshop
CPR +AED Training

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that, thanks for the heads-up, will take note!

By the way, come back into this thread after your afternoon tea-break today, I got something for you(to laugh at?)...:D=:p

small roll good for three serving if u go heavy on the eggs. Avg 2 serving for me, still got in fridge, no need buy.

Food is well stock here. So going to action on the heavy stuffs, 4.3L type. Will need trolley/basket w/wheels to assist. Need to do brand switching. Since i buy large qty to top up, ish only 辛苦辛苦 during periodic stock up.

You think first, how to combat hot weather. I showcast the stuffs i wanna do, so only when u sit down to think what u need.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reposting and Summarised for this continuation thread Page 1.

紫金霜
Fight itch, skin irritation, abrasion, fungus infection, mozzie bites. Children suitable.
Search: https://s.taobao.com/search?q=紫金霜&i...all:1&initiative_id=staobaoz_20200808&ie=utf8
誉龙堂,霖春堂 both tested okay, ingredient slightly differs but do the same thing. Tea tree based medicine.

Guardian Aqueous Cream
Fight skin dryness.
https://www.otop.sg/product/318192
Volume class, able to use long and large surface. Comes with special spoon.

Rinityn
Fight itchiness, nasal discharge, sneezing, allergic rhinitis, ocular itching and burning (eyes)
Class: Poison; controlled drug
Requires IC.
Non Drowsy but if you gets sleepy after eating this, advisable not to operate machinery including driving.
Only available at Guardian Pharmacy corner.
Effective duration: 3 years. (Personally I go pass 3 years into 5, still okay)
Comes in pack of 20 tablets, each time 1 pill, advisable 1 day limit to 1 only. Each purchase I bought 2 box or 40 tablets, so thats the guideline.

大活络丹
Hand/leg numbness, cramps, unable to walk properly (usually due to injuries), rheumatism, bad blood circulation.
Available at Chinese Medical Hall.
Tong Jum Chew Pte Ltd. MIS (Made in Singapore)
4 capsules, 1-2 times daily.
1 bottle 50 capsules.
Will not cause drowsy effect nor side effects. The amount of meds use is more than a multi-vitamin pill.

HVM
Multi-vitamin
All balanced formula.
Available at all pharmacies and Chinese Medical Halls. NTUC, Guardian also stock them. Not advisable for kids as this is a big capsule. Okay for secondary children, only if they can swallow it.
From my understanding this is a MIT product (Made in Taiwan), USA formula, but box put Made in USA. Imported and distributed in Singapore. Stocking advice 1 box. 1 day limit to 1. Your body cannot absorb large amount, do alternate day consumption, 1 day eat 1 day dun eat this pill. If you feel energy-less, listless, can try this one.

Sun Oil 太阳风湿油
Rheumatism, muscle cramp oil.
Application need to follow how vein and artery blood flow, else you end up with blue black. Only for experienced people.
Available at Chinese Medical Halls, mama shops. MIS

Last edited:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New Cyclone formation at Philippines spotted.

However weather website for Philippines is currently down.
Japan already issued warnings.

Using Beijing satellite, I can see two weather system at Indian Ocean and Pacific. Unfortunately, both were out of range.

JTWC starts tracking on 94W which is located at Philippines.

Last edited:

jack-320

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Siao lao part 2 of this thread is created

means the old thread with good info will be gone many months later

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[*Quote carried forward from Chapter One of this thread]

You think first, how to combat hot weather.

[*Creative license: The mercury reading has been photoshopped in order to achieve a better comic effect. May God help us all if the mercury ever hits 38°C in S'pore for real!]
knAgJSN.jpg

:D

A note from Threadstarter to all the followers of this thread:

Ladies & Gentlemen, boys & girls...ARE YOU READY TO ROCK CHAPTER TWO OF THIS THREAD?! YES OR NO? LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Good!:D

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Emergency Bag
Do you have an Emergency Bag on standby at home, ready to see grab-&-go action at a moment's notice? If not, then today is a good day to put one together!

Did You Know?
For those of you who are new to this thread or who may not be aware, the Singapore Civil Defence Force has published a Civil Defence Emergency Handbook which contains useful information on how to deal with various emergency situations. There is also a section on how to pack an Emergency Bag. You can download the SCDF's Civil Defence Emergency Handbook(in PDF format) from the SCDF website: https://www.scdf.gov.sg/home/community-volunteers/publications/emergency-handbook

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New Cyclone formation at Philippines spotted.

However weather website for Philippines is currently down.
Japan already issued warnings.

Using Beijing satellite, I can see two weather system at Indian Ocean and Pacific. Unfortunately, both were out of range.

JTWC starts tracking on 94W which is located at Philippines.

I don't know why, but your talking like that reminds me of this....:D:spin:=:p

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but your talking like that reminds me of this....:D:spin:=:p

Remember you kai siao this last time. Just a heads up and recommendation on how to react.

Kena scolded by a passenger in the lift for using a "key" to press the buttons. :s22:

"Oei oei, don't use the key to press. Spoil already lah"

At first me and my son didn't know that he was talking to me so i didn't reply.
Second time was even less courteous and was pointing to the sign in the lift stating not to use keys.

Luckily was quick thinking enough to just quickly take out the plastic pen and show it to the guy that it's a flat surface.

I think it is best in such situations that you'd be able to defend yourself quickly, coz you might be in shock / embarassed that you cannot reply FAST.

Keyword= FAST.

Just tell them that it's not a key or anything hard, take it out again and show.

Another one is this one, looks like a key, or it might be attached to your bunch of keys.

H91043f0d4cd642c687389b5e787c72269.jpg

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another incident happened just last week. Lift is rather small so it was just capable of taking just 2 pax with safe distancing.

I was the third guy and i apologised for squeezing in after a husband and wife (or GF/BF) went in and "safe distanced". The lady buay song and told me not to enter the lift as it's only meant for 2.
I told them if they don't mind i would like to squeeze in coz i am carrying pretty heavy stuff (1 x kite = 6kg in hand, 1 x 1.5L bottle, 5kg backpack).

The lady still gave me that tsk tsk tsk sound. :o

I nearly wanted to tell them why the **** would they even wanna safe distance as 2 separate pax when they are already so close together during the rest of their time together. Do they wear masks in the household or car or when seating together? :o

So, moral of the story : GOTTA THINK FAST. And the way to do that is to be PREPARED :D

And PS : That 3 months disinfecting surface coating bo bao one hor. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

They tested the treated surfaces on the bus (windows, poles, buttons, seats) and 1 surface (the bus grab poles) nearly failed, despite being treated just recently 1-2 weeks ago. :( (I believe they treat every month also, not wait till 90 days)

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That grain silo building is one strong bugger.

Last count looks like 154 dead and around 80 still missing.

Last edited:

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On The Red Dot: NDP 2020: A Celebration Like No Other - EP1

Mediacorp meWATCH Documentary Of The Day[MUST-WATCH]

A behind-the-scenes documentary of NDP 2020. Watch it at this URL: https://www.mewatch.sg/en/series/on-the-red-dot-ndp-2020-a-celebration-like-no-other/ep1/974367
hjgH0FW.jpg

Personal note:
This thread is a strong advocate and believer in Psychological Defence.

This is the reason why I would like to encourage everyone to break out your binoculars and Cree LED torchlights:evil: tomorrow and join in the activities(from home) to mark our nation's 55th birthday. Whatever hardships and difficulties you are going through now, you may wish to take comfort in the fact that I have probably also been through it myself, given the fact that I am very likely much older than you and have seen more of life. So, by the authority vested in me as your senior, I give you permission to forget about all your sorrows and hardships, if only just for a day, to join all the brothers and sisters(yes, there are females in this thread, don't play-play:s8:) in this thread as we come together(virtually) to self-marinade in some mood-boosting positivity that can only do good things to our mental health and also the collective will as a people, to persevere and soldier on, come hell or high water.
U8KqKUi.jpg

Don't forget to catch the fireworks displays at 8.20pm!

Oh, and one more thing.......if you happen to see the beam of a very bright light shining through the night sky on 9 Aug, that's probably me testing my Cree LED torchlight.:evil:

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another incident happened just last week. Lift is rather small so it was just capable of taking just 2 pax with safe distancing.

I was the third guy and i apologised for squeezing in after a husband and wife (or GF/BF) went in and "safe distanced". The lady buay song and told me not to enter the lift as it's only meant for 2.
I told them if they don't mind i would like to squeeze in coz i am carrying pretty heavy stuff (1 x kite = 6kg in hand, 1 x 1.5L bottle, 5kg backpack).

The lady still gave me that tsk tsk tsk sound. :o

I nearly wanted to tell them why the **** would they even wanna safe distance as 2 separate pax when they are already so close together during the rest of their time together. Do they wear masks in the household or car or when seating together? :o

So, moral of the story : GOTTA THINK FAST. And the way to do that is to be PREPARED :D

And PS : That 3 months disinfecting surface coating bo bao one hor. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

They tested the treated surfaces on the bus (windows, poles, buttons, seats) and 1 surface (the bus grab poles) nearly failed, despite being treated just recently 1-2 weeks ago. :( (I believe they treat every month also, not wait till 90 days)

same here, doing full wipe down of bag etc.

still alive here after deployments....ha ha. just deployed last month only.

KnightDroid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are you using to wipe? Alcohol or the benzalkonium chloride solution?

Noticed that they sell it on qoo10

34 bucks for 180ml. :s22:

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/THREE-KRA...FOR-90-DAYS-180ML/677893488?banner_no=1305330

alcohol wipe. kleen-pak industries. miv.

this one not tb.

tb one is roll type, same made as swab team use. pull and cover alcohol wipe. still on the way to warehouse.

once here, i will have three types of wipe, differing in sizes and use.

gel, i got dettol and life buoy. quite a few bottles in fact small ones. got free ones and buy one. These wipes i did not prepare in advance, so got them when needed. alcohol evaporates when in contact with air.

Last edited:

xowithmilk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Homework

It's been a while since I last dished out homework in this thread, so here's one for today!

Watch the following video and explain why is it that the lady in the room flew but not the girl who was outside the door.
[*For this one, I won't give any hint because I know there are now many Ivy-League-calibre minds lurking in EDMW forum, given the school hiatus.:D]

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.