[Fan Club] LCHF Lifestyle - Part 3

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
love natto :love:
long time no go liang court walk walk liao :)

sauerkraut...where got sell??

Suspect some of the more upmarket supermarkets bah...hahah

Or can make your own - lots of recipes online :s13:

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think in Singapore only mediya and Isetan got sell prepacked natto. I didn't even know isetan got sell food :s13:

Think CS now also got - their Japanese section is growing quite fast

I think I also got see before in some Korean shops (may be their version of the fermented bean paste though)...hahah

tomb

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i recall that the natto packs i saw at meidi-ya contained added sugar leh.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i recall that the natto packs i saw at meidi-ya contained added sugar leh.

I think sugar is used to feed the bacteria and also help in the preservation process...hahah

Salted natto probably won't taste all that good :s13:

Isabella_

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yah, our bodies likely can't tell the difference between real or fake sugar and will respond with an insulin spike all the same...hahah

Artificial sweeteners may lead to diabetes

oh yah. artificial sugar will also lead to tooth decay.
i have met patients tt kept munching on "sugar free" candies thinking that they wont get decays.. but in the end, they still came in with full set of teeth, all decayed.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh yah. artificial sugar will also lead to tooth decay.
i have met patients tt kept munching on "sugar free" candies thinking that they wont get decays.. but in the end, they still came in with full set of teeth, all decayed.

Ya, all the zero calories is a sham :s13:

Some studies show that artificial sweeteners are "larger" than real sugar and they tend to get stuck in our mouths and tongues, hence resulting in the bitter after-taste we get versus real sugar :eek:

saiyan2005

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha nv eat sweets already. the only mint in my mouth should be toothpaste lol

xerref

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yah, our bodies likely can't tell the difference between real or fake sugar and will respond with an insulin spike all the same...hahah

Artificial sweeteners may lead to diabetes

Those articles are misleading..

For the rats, 3 sweeteners were tested - saccharine, aspartame, and sucralose. Only saccharine and sucarlose had a significant impact, and that was only notice-able in ~50% of the mice. Plus the mice had their guts nuked of any flora/bacteria prior to the experiment.

Only saccharine was used for the n=7 human trial, and at a dose equivalent to 40 cans of diet soda a day.

The meta-analysis of 400 people was done via food questionnaires, that are generally unreliable sources of data. And only shows correlation, but not causation.

The main theme was to study how the gut flora reacts to artificial sweetners and the effect the change in gut flora had on blood sugar levels, not insulin response.

@carey, have you seen this article;
Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination

Summary of a series of articles on insulin by James Krieger plus links to the original article; Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation (plus notes by me) : Fitness

But as always, please read around and come to your own conclusions.

Study Findings on Low Calorie Sweeteners, Diabetes Risk and Obesity Not Supported by Health Authorities and Other Studies, according to the Calorie Control Council

Artificial sweeteners may contribute to diabetes, controversial study finds | Science/AAAS | News

Artificial Sweeteners Mess W/ Gut Biome & Induce Insulin Resistance in Rodents - What about Man? Plus: Sucralose & Saccharin, Not Aspartame Induce the Effect - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

NeuroLogica Blog » Artificial Sweeteners and Diabetes

NeuroLogica Blog » Sucralose Fearmongering

Last edited:

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xerref

thanks for the links

Yup, there are some criticisms about the studies (rats and all) but it does reinforce some of the n=1 experiences that are starting to surface...

As for Whole Health Source - this guy has a very large chip on his shoulder against Gary Taubes hahah

He is pushing his food reward theory versus LC

The insulin article has been around for a while - he is not wrong but he is also not completely right...

He is not approaching it from the perspective of those who are already suffering from a damaged metabolism state i.e. those who are already insulin resistance

There are already some rebuttals to his article

Personally, some insulin is good but a persistently high level of insulin in our bodies is not...guess the devil is in the dosage

Cheers :D

Reaction score
sugar-02.jpg

xerref

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xerref

thanks for the links

Yup, there are some criticisms about the studies (rats and all) but it does reinforce some of the n=1 experiences that are starting to surface...

As for Whole Health Source - this guy has a very large chip on his shoulder against Gary Taubes hahah

He is pushing his food reward theory versus LC

The insulin article has been around for a while - he is not wrong but he is also not completely right...

He is not approaching it from the perspective of those who are already suffering from a damaged metabolism state i.e. those who are already insulin resistance

There are already some rebuttals to his article

Personally, some insulin is good but a persistently high level of insulin in our bodies is not...guess the devil is in the dosage

Cheers :D

Yeap, science is provisional. And like you, I tend to lean towards anecdotal evidence, after all what really matters is what works for you :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.