[Fan Club] LCHF Lifestyle - Part 3

zedane

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone consumes Palm Oil here?

There was a thread in EDMW that mentions Palm Oil as being absolutely bad and that many food stalls locally uses it.

I was curious and read up on Mark Daily Apple again. Apparently, the red palm oil comes from the palm fruit whereas the palm kernel oil comes from the seed.

The fatty acid profile on the red palm oil is roughly 50% SFA, 39% MUFA and 11% PUFA. The bonus it has over the kernel variant is the abundance of anti-oxidant it contains

whereas

Palm kernel oil is roughly 80% SFA, 15% MUFA, and 2.5% PUFA - I don't know why the total doesn't tally but there was no indication of the presence of trans fat. PUFA could be 5%, which is still very low.

Seems like both oils are ideal for the primal diet. Red palm oil for raw consumption, whereas palm kernel oil for cooking.

Any insights or something which I might have missed out?

More info can be found here -
Palm Oil Nutrition | Mark's Daily Apple
Healthy Oils | Mark's Daily Apple

twinings

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There was a thread in EDMW that mentions Palm Oil as being absolutely bad and that many food stalls locally uses it.

I was curious and read up on Mark Daily Apple again. Apparently, the red palm oil comes from the palm fruit whereas the palm kernel oil comes from the seed.

The fatty acid profile on the red palm oil is roughly 50% SFA, 39% MUFA and 11% PUFA. The bonus it has over the kernel variant is the abundance of anti-oxidant it contains

whereas

Palm kernel oil is roughly 80% SFA, 15% MUFA, and 2.5% PUFA - I don't know why the total doesn't tally but there was no indication of the presence of trans fat. PUFA could be 5%, which is still very low.

Seems like both oils are ideal for the primal diet. Red palm oil for raw consumption, whereas palm kernel oil for cooking.

iirc, red palm ok, the normal yellow one is not boleh.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

whereas

I think you are looking at the wrong thing :s13:

The one we see on our shelves is RBD palm olein

It's basically red palm oil that has been bleached and deodourised and some people are finding fault with this process...

Palm kernel oil is a different thing altogether :D

zedane

Master Member
Reaction score
iirc, red palm ok, the normal yellow one is not boleh.

I think you are looking at the wrong thing :s13:

The one we see on our shelves is RBD palm olein

It's basically red palm oil that has been bleached and deodourised and some people are finding fault with this process...

Palm kernel oil is a different thing altogether :D

I see. So most importantly is to read the label and note for any RBD process.

xiasuaykia

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the current craze of Chia Seeds, is it good for LCHF a not? lol might be ordering a pack from iherb soon. to ride on to the free shipping deal. hahaha.

carey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the current craze of Chia Seeds, is it good for LCHF a not? lol might be ordering a pack from iherb soon. to ride on to the free shipping deal. hahaha.

I take it on and off - mostly add to my coffee

Some people tried making desserts with them but too much work for me :o

npnt94

Master Member
Reaction score
mcdonald everyday.

DTmQlVz.png

:s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.