First time hiring 1-1 tutor for my kid

fleurandco

Reaction score
For parents who hire 1-1 tutor for your kid, do you ask to see the tutor's cert/qualifications? This is my first time hiring one (got her contact from a parenting forum and not from tution agency) so wondering if I shd ask for her certs.. Pls advise, thanks!

dgeralds

Master Member
Reaction score
For parents who hire 1-1 tutor for your kid, do you ask to see the tutor's cert/qualifications? This is my first time hiring one (got her contact from a parenting forum and not from tution agency) so wondering if I shd ask for her certs.. Pls advise, thanks!
What do you know about the tutor? You can ask her back ground and see if can check against social media. If couldn't, you may request for tutor's cert/qualification/testimony. You are paying anyway. Just talk gently and be open. ....

Sforthought

Reaction score

Certs/qualification/experience/reviews means nothing if its can't translate into results. If u just need any 1-1 tutor then u got what u have already, may or may not be good, its luck, will know only result is out.

But if u want a non bulls*** one then offer a tiered payment system where there's no/low payment if no result is delivered but increasing reward if good grades are achieved.

69 and below = $0
70-75 = u get $X per hr
80-85 = u get $Y per hr and so on…

If your incentive is high enough, pretty sure a good tutor will bite. Lousy ones who go through motion and take it as a part time job type will probably not do it since they need the weekly payment assurance.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tutors and parents,

What is the best tool to use for online teaching of Maths ?

Zoom, skype, jamboard, etc ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.