Flights from Melbourne to Tasmania

jie1313

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been searching for flights to tasmania from melbourne and there were a few carriers, mainly Virgin, Tiger and Jetstar. May i find out what's the average price range? It seems like i cant get a flight less than $200 and it ranges from $200 to $300. Is it usually so exp?

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Going to hobart or Launceston?

Fare price also depend when is the travelling date and timing.

I booked thru jetstar with from
Melbourne to hobart and with return for less than $200 before. But that was 5 years ago.

jie1313

Reaction score
Going to hobart or Launceston?

Fare price also depend when is the travelling date and timing.

I booked thru jetstar with from
Melbourne to hobart and with return for less than $200 before. But that was 5 years ago.

Thanks for the sharing. I am travelling to Melbourne in June and my itinerary included a trip to Tasmania and around Hobart only, hence I am shopping for the best tixs and flight timing now. So far, no luck with a good deal.

How was your Tasmania trip? Would you highly recommend and not be missed? I am thinking on whether we can skip Tasmania altogether. Sigh.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also went there in June too and based in hobart for 4 nights. Make day trip to wineglass Bay(which is a long drive) . Visited Mount Wellington which is a short drive from hobart. Also go to tahune airwalk which I find can skip if u have no much time. As I was based in hobart. I didn't go to cradle mountain and skip port Arthur due to lack of time.

Of all the Australia cities/place I visited. I rated tasmania is the best I like. I will go back again to do a whole island round trip.

jie1313

Reaction score
Seems like Tasmania is rated highly and I had read similar comments too that its the best city/place. Hmm..

We have actually firmed up our itinerary and for Tasmania's leg, we are staying 4 nights too and will visit Wellington, Bruny island to take the Pennicott wild tour (to see dolphins), Salamanca market, Port Arthur, a night to catch southern lights and lastly, a penguin tour at Bicheno (so will skip Phillip Island during Melbourne's leg).

Had wanted to proceed with air tix booking but decided to hold the gun. Qantas is a good price at $650, but to separately include the Virgin flight to Tasmania, it's an additional whopping $400. Jetstar and Tiger are not suitable for their timings.

So i checked multicity for SQ and it surprisingly turns out a better deal at $930.

Wonder should I proceed with SQ or wait for SQ promo.

vitaminty

Reaction score
sometimes it gets even cheaper, if you dont mind the extra hassle, you can always use jetstar price beat. its hard to compare between the full fledged carriers and budget carriers, so you need to pick what is suitable for you. June is winter for Australia, so theres limited day light hours down there, scenery is good though

jie1313

Reaction score
Thanks. I dont mind jetstar from melbourne to tasmania at all but the timing is not suitable. They have only one morning departing flight and its only less than 2 hours apart from the time i reach melbourne, i dun think i can connect to that flight on time. Guess i will just have to wait for SQ promo and take their multicity.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
They have only one morning departing flight and its only less than 2 hours apart from the time i reach melbourne, i dun think i can connect to that flight on time.

Good to see that you are applying some common sense, unlike some other risk takers.

Have you tried a Qantas multi-city? Sometimes it works well too. If you are planning to have a connection, I would suggest booking it as a multi-city so the itinerary is protected. If you miss your flight due to delays, etc, the airline will book you onto an alternative flight at no charge.

Does the SQ multi-city put you onto Virgin or Tiger for the domestic flights?

jie1313

Reaction score
Qantas multicity costs close to $1050 and connect to another qantas. A return trip from SG to Mel at promo is only $630.

With SQ multicity, it costs $900 odd. A better price than qantas. It connects to Virgin. Guess I will wait for SQ promo to melbourne.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Qantas multicity costs close to $1050 and connect to another qantas. A return trip from SG to Mel at promo is only $630.

With SQ multicity, it costs $900 odd. A better price than qantas. It connects to Virgin. Guess I will wait for SQ promo to melbourne.

Given the dates you're looking for would cost $200+ for the domestic legs, I would just get the SQ multi city. Virgin is full-service as well. When it's on sale, Melbourne to Tas return would be a little more than $100 + baggage on Jetstar/Tiger. If you want to head down this path, then look for sales on Tiger, and go to the Jetstar website and apply for a price beat as long as there are flights within an hour of the Tiger flight.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
which compnay you recommend?

It really depends on how you are booking the flights and your itinerary. If you are not having a connection, Jetstar/Tiger* are somewhat reliable enough. It also depends on which airport you are flying into/out of, and the schedule you want.

Multi-city bookings can provide good deals sometimes, and they are generally not advertised due to the complexity. It's also worth checking Emirates for flights, as they codeshare with Qantas. It's possible to create identical itineraries on Qantas and Emirates, yet the price is different by hundreds of dollars.

For me, if SQ provides a good multi-city option for a reasonably low price, I would just take it and not look any further.

* It's still called Tiger in Australia, and it's now owned by Virgin Australia.

vitaminty

Reaction score
or in the alternative, you could take the ferry across from melbourne to tassie. its an daytime or overnight ferry with nothing much to do on a cruise ship, but hey, its an experience. wouldn't recommend it though

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
or in the alternative, you could take the ferry across from melbourne to tassie. its an daytime or overnight ferry with nothing much to do on a cruise ship, but hey, its an experience. wouldn't recommend it though

The night time schedule could work well - you would normally spend it in a hotel room anyway. It will then drop you at a point that's closer to the Cradle Mountain than any airport, if you're planning to head up that way.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just checking anyone went to see the southern lights in Tasmania before this Covid-19 problem , is it worth it ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.