For those who love to travel alone

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that ! So nice till u went twice? Can share me your itnerary and accomodations details and transportation etc ?:s12::s12:

Yes, it is safe to travel alone but of cos u still need to be aware of the surrounding... I was there alone last yr and will be going again next week. Bagan is definitely a place not to be miss, 3d2n shd be gd enough. Inle Lake and Mandalay are also the top destination for most traveller. They have domestic flight and bus (JJexpress etc) to travel around the country.

Overall it is possible to do FnE, a lot of guesthouse available. Accommodation is not cheap in Myanmar if u would to compare with other region in SEA.
For how many days is required... depends on where u wanna go but my recommend is more than a week. Cos u do not wanna spend $45 on the visa for short trip.

Hope I have answered your questions. Feel free to ask more.

ShinigamiX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its nv bore...
U will appreciated what's around u more. U can talk to local. U can spend more time on a single places.

Anyway, u have already mentioned, u don't understand. Ya, surely u don't.

lol.... u said it

solo tomo 2 HK again for the 2nd time! :D

ah_leetw

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that ! So nice till u went twice? Can share me your itnerary and accomodations details and transportation etc ?:s12::s12:

Last yr, I engage local agency; PronitiTravel to book the bus tickets and the accommodation.

Day1: Reach @ Yangon, night bus to Bagan
Day 2 -6: Bagan. Night bus to Inle Lake.
- Saw Nyein San GH
Day 6 -8: Inle Lake. Night bus to Yangon
- Aquarius Inn
Day 8 -10:Yangon.
- Hotel Asahi

I don't have a fixed itinerary. I go and stop wherever as I like in the city. You can find tons of info on places of interests and accommodation review in TripAdvisor.
eBike or Bicycle can be easily be rented in Bagan and Inle Lake or u can engage a local guide.

This yr, I will be heading to Mandalay (4D), Bagan (3D), Mrauk U (4D), Ngwe Saung (3D).

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
This year you arrange the bus tixs and accomodation yrself?
Thanks for your help !:s12:
Last yr, I engage local agency; PronitiTravel to book the bus tickets and the accommodation.

Day1: Reach @ Yangon, night bus to Bagan
Day 2 -6: Bagan. Night bus to Inle Lake.
- Saw Nyein San GH
Day 6 -8: Inle Lake. Night bus to Yangon
- Aquarius Inn
Day 8 -10:Yangon.
- Hotel Asahi

I don't have a fixed itinerary. I go and stop wherever as I like in the city. You can find tons of info on places of interests and accommodation review in TripAdvisor.
eBike or Bicycle can be easily be rented in Bagan and Inle Lake or u can engage a local guide.

This yr, I will be heading to Mandalay (4D), Bagan (3D), Mrauk U (4D), Ngwe Saung (3D).

ah_leetw

Master Member
Reaction score
This year you arrange the bus tixs and accomodation yrself?
Thanks for your help !:s12:

Yes. By myself.
ie, I take JJexpress from yangon to mandalay. the bus operator can be contact by facebook and I book a ticket by pm them in FB. For the boat ticket from mandalay to bagan, I have asked the guesthouse for help.

U can find a good range of hotel/BnB in Agoda and TA.

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
been to yangon+bago on a solo trip a few months back.

Didn't enjoyed the trip..find the place quite boring. One thing for sure, there are a lot of pagodas.

I'm not really a shopping type of person and for a country to bore me, its quite rare.

I've been to other SE asian countries with the exception of the philippines and laos and I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them except for yangon :(

ah_leetw

Master Member
Reaction score

Didn't enjoyed the trip..find the place quite boring. One thing for sure, there are a lot of pagodas.

I'm not really a shopping type of person and for a country to bore me, its quite rare.

I've been to other SE asian countries with the exception of the philippines and laos and I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them except for yangon :(

I like taking photos so this place suits me. Since there isn't much night life in Myanmar, it can be boring for some ppl.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is 5 days enough for siem reap and phnom Penh? Just wanna touch and go those touristy places like angkor wat and execution fields.

Which Airlines did you take? Jetstar doesn't have daily flights to siem reap. Mat take silk air is there's sale fare for next year end.

Sent from using GAGT

dazuda

Reaction score
Is 5 days enough for siem reap and phnom Penh? Just wanna touch and go those touristy places like angkor wat and execution fields.

Which Airlines did you take? Jetstar doesn't have daily flights to siem reap. Mat take silk air is there's sale fare for next year end.

Sent from using GAGT
5 days shld be ok if touch&go.
2 days in Phnom Penh: go S21, Killing fields. (can even reduce to 1 day but more rushed. up to u. see what time u reach Phnom Penh on first day.)
3 days in Siem Reap: go angkor archaeological park. buy 1 or 3 day pass.

do consider the travel time though.;) Phnom Penh to Siem Reap can take bus or flight. i took Jetstar to Phnom Penh, flew back from Siem Reap + took a bus between the two cities.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 days shld be ok if touch&go.
2 days in Phnom Penh: go S21, Killing fields. (can even reduce to 1 day but more rushed. up to u. see what time u reach Phnom Penh on first day.)
3 days in Siem Reap: go angkor archaeological park. buy 1 or 3 day pass.

do consider the travel time though.;) Phnom Penh to Siem Reap can take bus or flight. i took Jetstar to Phnom Penh, flew back from Siem Reap + took a bus between the two cities.

thanks thanks! very handy for my planning. how is your experience for the bus ride? might consider flight if the ride is too long and bumpy. got toilet break?

dazuda

Reaction score
thanks thanks! very handy for my planning. how is your experience for the bus ride? might consider flight if the ride is too long and bumpy. got toilet break?

the bus ride from PP to SR was quite ok. kindof like taking bus from SG to MY.

i booked the morning Giant Ibis bus, reach SR in the afternoon with time to walk around. got lunch break at a random restaurant, clean toilet, nice scenery.:o Free bottle of water + a bread + free WiFi. their agent was on the bus dressed in formal L/S shirt, pants and spoke English.;)

i remember watching 3 consecutive movies featuring The Rock on their tv screen. lol. I think Giant Ibis service better than all those Grassland/Transtar coach to MY.

if u wana save time, then take the flight better. the bus ride is ~6hours.

Last edited:

WadsUpDoc

Reaction score
Hey guys, so intend to do my second solo trip in January but cant decide the destination yet. I did a solo trip to HK once and had quite a good experience. I'm considering destinations like Indonesia- so far bali is on my mind, as well as Vietnam- HCM. I like to travel on a budget (+-$500 total), and am looking around 4-5days of travel.

I quite liked the convenience of Hong Kong's train system, but i doubt with my budget i can go anywhere with a similarly efficient transport system (pls correct me if i'm wrong). I would generally prefer safer destinations, and destinations where January is a good time to visit- not too much rain, not too hot, etc. Oh and of course places with more English spoken the better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so intend to do my second solo trip in January but cant decide the destination yet. I did a solo trip to HK once and had quite a good experience. I'm considering destinations like Indonesia- so far bali is on my mind, as well as Vietnam- HCM. I like to travel on a budget (+-$500 total), and am looking around 4-5days of travel.

I quite liked the convenience of Hong Kong's train system, but i doubt with my budget i can go anywhere with a similarly efficient transport system (pls correct me if i'm wrong). I would generally prefer safer destinations, and destinations where January is a good time to visit- not too much rain, not too hot, etc. Oh and of course places with more English spoken the better.

I was in Yogjakarta and Bandung (with friends) in January and it was rainy. Raining on and off for the days I was there.

I've travelled solo many places myself, to places like Mongolia, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, etc, and I don't think I will do Indonesia alone. Maybe I'm too spoilt already. I felt I was too lazy to get around Indonesia alone without knowing the local language and getting scammed/ripped off.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

HCM City or Bali are feasible with your budget if you can secure cheap air tickets now. Accommodation can be obtained at lower than S$50 a night, and even transportation by taxi will not be a big deal unless you venture far out. In the case of HCM City, you can go for day excursions for less than S$20 each.

WadsUpDoc

Reaction score
HCM City or Bali are feasible with your budget if you can secure cheap air tickets now. Accommodation can be obtained at lower than S$50 a night, and even transportation by taxi will not be a big deal unless you venture far out. In the case of HCM City, you can go for day excursions for less than S$20 each.

Have you been to HCM? Got itinerary to share? 😁

I was in Yogjakarta and Bandung (with friends) in January and it was rainy. Raining on and off for the days I was there.

I've travelled solo many places myself, to places like Mongolia, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, etc, and I don't think I will do Indonesia alone. Maybe I'm too spoilt already. I felt I was too lazy to get around Indonesia alone without knowing the local language and getting scammed/ripped off.

I see.. Guess i'll skip indonesia then! Its not gonna be fun if it'll be raining..

qhong61

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

does it mean Mongolia and Russia is even safer?

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does it mean Mongolia and Russia is even safer?

Safe in terms of? Getting scammed and ripped off? Yes, I do feel that Mongolia and Russia are safer. Safe as in terms of walking on the streets, etc? Then, I feel it's the same in Indonesia, Mongolia and Russia. When I was in Indonesia, I was with friends (one of them is a local). We had no issues walking on the streets at night even though it's an all female group. I never felt unsafe walking on the streets at night in Russia either.

Last edited:

KathyHay

Reaction score
anyone into traveling alone? Last year I decided that I was sick of waiting for friends confirmation and schedule (in the end, the travel plans are always cancelled) so I decided to go Tokyo alone for a week in Oct 2011. Addictive to travel alone! So once I came back I planned my next trip. Will be going Hokkaido in Feb 2012. Travel alone can go anywhere I like and wake up what time I want :D

I am a female and I don't understand why everytime someone find out I am female+traveling alone+ F&E, their jaws drop :yawn:

Planning to do solo this year: Bangkok, Korea, Hongkong and Taiwan before I venture out alone to western countries :)

Anyone else loves to travel alone?

I also wanted to travel alone. :s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.