Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wanted to recontract homehub. Starhub told me no more cable TV, must recon fibre TV.

I am against the idea because the fibre point is at the main door, while the set top box is placed in my bed room!!!

I really dunno how surface trunking can enter the room w/o affecting door closing.

If there any wireless solution for me? Can i buy a pair of powerline network adaptors to connect the rj45 output from the main door to the set top box in the bedroom? Would a pair of routers work too?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cable network is a matter of time that Starhub will ceased.
Hence they would not want to have 24 months contract to tie on to.
Even cable broadband offer is for 12 months contract.
Anyway sooner or later there is a need to move to fibre broadband.

As for how surface trunking go thru the room door.
I had done this in my previous flat.
What the Starhub contractor did was to drill a hole thru the wall beside the room door at the bottom.
It was enough gap for the ethernet cable to pass thru.

Should you want both network and IPTV in the bedroom then there is a need to have 2 ethernet cables.
As IPTV Set top box required an independent cable to run that is to connect to ONT Port-2.
Whereas ONT Port-1 is for internet access.

Starhub charges $107 include 7% gst for trunking of 1 point, that between point A to B inclusive of ethernet cables and data points for both end.
For you info, sign-up to fibre broadband do include free 1 point.
Additional trunking and other works can be bargain before work start.

Alternately for powerline adapter for this IPTV and internet access.
You may consider this type of powerline that provide 2-Port; AV1000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit

Having 2 routers for whole premise for wireless networking is possible.
As i am using one at the living room connect directly to ONT.
While i have another router in my bedroom as Access Point.
The AP Router do provide good & excellent wireless signal for my phones in my bedroom.

Regards.

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Eric for the useful recommendation.

I am currently on fiber internet and cable TV. Fiber internet is served by a router near the main door, so my only problem is actually the set top box in my bedroom.

Not exactly keen on doing the trunking even though starhub offered 1 free ethernet surface trunking service. I dun want the trunking to run across living room and also drilling of holes.

I will seriously consider the powerline adaptor for my cable TV. But i do have 2 spare routers at home, is it possible to used them to connect the set top box to the ONT output via wifi? I have never done this before, as in asking a router to connect to another router to do a point-to-point connection via wifi. I suspect it is not as simple as setting up an internet connection.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Eric for the useful recommendation.

I am currently on fiber internet and cable TV. Fiber internet is served by a router near the main door, so my only problem is actually the set top box in my bedroom.

Not exactly keen on doing the trunking even though starhub offered 1 free ethernet surface trunking service. I dun want the trunking to run across living room and also drilling of holes.

I will seriously consider the powerline adaptor for my cable TV. But i do have 2 spare routers at home, is it possible to used them to connect the set top box to the ONT output via wifi? I have never done this before, as in asking a router to connect to another router to do a point-to-point connection via wifi. I suspect it is not as simple as setting up an internet connection.

This is provided if your routers have such capabilities. If it does den u can do it. But den again u will eventually have network slow or lags on some instances.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No the Starhub IPTV cannot be connected via router.

It has to be connected separately from the router.
Meaning only direct connection to ONT Port-2.

Powerline can be used for this purpose.
Refer to Starhub IPTV and LAN point

This may be the only option for you.

Regards.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is provided if your routers have such capabilities. If it does den u can do it. But den again u will eventually have network slow or lags on some instances.

Not possible as Starhub IPTV is not the same as Singtel MioTV.

Too restricted.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For more info on Starhub IPTV Set top box installation.

Single or Multiply set-top boxs set-up

Checkout the illustrations &or diagrams on how IPTV and Internet access are separated.

Do note that IPTV connection could be 100 Mbps.

IPTV is via a separate IP Address and so it has to be on a different port of ONT.

Should the internet access is down or disconnected, the IPTV will not be affected.

The charges for IPTV rental and recording features are $6 + $4 = $10 before gst.
For info on External Harddisk for IPTV refer to WD My Passport 2TB Harddisk for IPTV Set Top box

Regards.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wanted to recontract homehub. Starhub told me no more cable TV, must recon fibre TV.

I am against the idea because the fibre point is at the main door, while the set top box is placed in my bed room!!!

I really dunno how surface trunking can enter the room w/o affecting door closing.

If there any wireless solution for me? Can i buy a pair of powerline network adaptors to connect the rj45 output from the main door to the set top box in the bedroom? Would a pair of routers work too?

Starhub people will know how to do it nicely for you. May be just some tiny holes to put the cable into the room. No problem at all. I do not even care to see them doing it. Leave it to them to settle it for me.

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I too am facing the same problem. Only solutions i could think of:
1. continue with the homehub plan without contract and wait out till cable tv phrase out.
2. discontinue with homehub plan and separate out the services. example, sign fibre internet on its own then sign cable tv on its own.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cable HD TV set top is going to cease.
Hence cannot recontract.
Cable broadband allow 12 months contract.
Cable services soon to be gone.

Cable TV soon going to be gone la. Heard that by End 2019. Can only sign 12 months cable Tv standalone or just need to sign Starhub hubbing to get fibre internet and fibre Tv.

Last edited:

furryballs

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No the Starhub IPTV cannot be connected via router.

It has to be connected separately from the router.
Meaning only direct connection to ONT Port-2.

Powerline can be used for this purpose.
Refer to Starhub IPTV and LAN point

This may be the only option for you.

Regards.

Sorry. To clarify: i meant a dedicated pair of wifi routers just to carry fibre TV signals. Separate from internet data router

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry. To clarify: i meant a dedicated pair of wifi routers just to carry fibre TV signals. Separate from internet data router
Still cannot.
Wifi cannot use for Starhub IPTV.
Only direct wired lan cable from ONT Port 2.

i-Movies

Reaction score
i have fibre internet with other provider. to use star hub fibre tv, do i have to
1. use the second fibre port on FTP;
2. get starhub modem and set-top box?

this means i will have 2 modems unless i use starhub's fibre internet too?

there are too many equipments around the FTP area...

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have fibre internet with other provider. to use star hub fibre tv, do i have to
1. use the second fibre port on FTP;
2. get starhub modem and set-top box?

this means i will have 2 modems unless i use starhub's fibre internet too?

there are too many equipments around the FTP area...

In order to use Starhub fibre Tv you will need to have both fibre internet and TV under Starhub. No standalone fibre TV is allowed. Starhub try to force all the TV user to use their internet.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Look like every room need two Ethernet ports on the wall (1 for Internet, 1 for StarHub IPTV).

Wonder whether new BTO/condo have planned for that since coax is out....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.