Forum: Scammed of $100,000, but fault is not mine alone

sAVaGEmP5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OC why u no hire me at 50k a mth i help u to look thru ur mobile codes, transact process workflow, compliance, authenticator sec, mobilesec, websec, pt and audit ur entire IT and quickly come out action plan to settle bank reputation

But too bad u decided to hire other candidates :( and im lucky im not there when this happen. Lol

testart

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got one question.

Does receiving legit SMS on warning of scam from OCBC means a self declaration that I understood what is phishing scam?

harbinger255

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got one question.

Does receiving legit SMS on warning of scam from OCBC means a self declaration that I understood what is phishing scam?
Need to go study for degree before using internet banking? :o

Can imagine ppl threatening to sue educational institutes for them not being able to get 20k/m jobs.... :s13:

Cosmonautica

Reaction score
click on link and login via website = stupid.

Whereas you have been logging in via bank app all this time

DragonFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then how come other countries never have so many scams like sg. Something must be wrong here which Govt need to look. Maybe suspend all paynow or new internal transfers etc
Small, rich country makes for fat lambs to the slaughter.

Limited inbound SMS gateways make intercepting SMS less chancy.

Technically gullible highly connected populace (sometimes being too smart/connected works against people)

BohemianSG

Master Member
Reaction score
The bank has to take responsibility. It is their process that allowed it to happen.

DragonFire

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to go study for degree before using internet banking? :o

Can imagine ppl threatening to sue educational institutes for them not being able to get 20k/m jobs.... :s13:
I guarantee you even IT security experts can get phished. It just takes momentary fatigue.

harbinger255

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guarantee you even IT security experts can get phished. It just takes momentary fatigue.
I'm not saying ppl don't get careless.... But I get super irritated that ppl are trying to push the responsibility to any and everywhere except themselves.

quirkyhill

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
Good for you ! (y)
Keep using the physical token.
But once battery runs out cannot use physical token cos I think a lot of banks don’t provide anymore. Unless can change batt?

kimsix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ya .... you can be snarky and haolian now, but you never know when you take your mind off.

parents may have to spend the next hour taking care of toddlers, where got alertness and time to rush down branches... :o

scammers get more daring and sophisticated if everything brush off at consumer problems. you laugh at boomers now, 15 years later, you are also one...

why gahment and coporations need to do more. to fug scammer off.

our IT pushing singpass to login so many websais, haolian using QR codes... and now got simi myinfo 1-link cover sky... convenience ok but better sure the infra and dispute resolution also convenient...

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
She does accept that she was at fault. But what she is saying that once she realized her mistake, there was no mechanism for her to reach bank immediately and block the transactions.
Think now must setup another bank account.. compromise faster transfer out all the money..

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have never heard change limit no need OTP.

if that’s really the case then what’s the point of the limit? got limit no limit no diff :s13:
I remember changing limit is not instantly also.. can take a day to be effects

harbinger255

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya .... you can be snarky and haolian now, but you never know when you take your mind off.

parents may have to spend the next hour taking care of toddlers, where got alertness and time to rush down branches... :o

scammers get more daring and sophisticated if everything brush off at consumer problems. you laugh at boomers now, 15 years later, you are also one...

why gahment and coporations need to do more. to fug scammer off.

our IT pushing singpass to login so many websais, haolian using QR codes... and now got simi myinfo 1-link cover sky... convenience ok but better sure the infra and dispute resolution also convenient...

Whole WOT.... End of the day still acting like a damsel in distress expecting to be saved and protected... :s13:

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then in that 2 hours, he nonchalantly continued with his task when he could have 1) rush down to a bank 2) continue to hold the line 3) Force an account lock by entering a wrong password 3x
4) transfer money out immediately..

TheLookingGlass

Master Member
Reaction score
The app should implement an emergency lock button. Pressing it will freeze the account and all transactions for 24 hours.

htthach

Reaction score
OCBC has no way of knowing which transaction is suspicious or not. What happens is that OCBC has been presented with the correct authentication and authorisation for the transfer and OCBC has acted on the authorisation.

People who still think that it is OCBC's fault should avoid online banking or anything involving financial online because they simply do not understand the whole online thingy work.
Maybe ocbc is having your mindset that prevents them from being a better bank. Bank are much more backward in tech than people might think.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.