Gifted kid burnout – What it was like going from A’s to F’s

reiser

Reaction score
She said she didn’t get into GEP. What makes her think she’s ‘gifted’?

My kid was similar. Cruised through primary school, went through first round of GEP, and got into THE top secondary school.

But I would never call her ‘gifted’. She was intelligent no doubt, but I don’t have basis to call her ‘gifted’ since she never went to GEP.

Strange that this girl calls herself ‘gifted’.

As a minority race, she’s unlikely to have gone to a top primary school where competition is stiff, so it’s easy to get Edusave awards every year. I can’t even recognise her school uniform. It’s not RGPS or NYPS for sure. So what makes her think she’s ‘gifted’? Really puzzling.

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My kid was similar. Cruised through primary school, went through first round of GEP, and got into THE top secondary school.

But I would never call her ‘gifted’. She was intelligent no doubt, but I don’t have basis to call her ‘gifted’ since she never went to GEP.

As a minority race, she’s unlikely to have gone to a top primary school where competition is stiff, so it’s easy to get Edusave awards every year. I can’t even recognise her school uniform. It’s not RGPS or NYPS for sure. So what makes her think she’s ‘gifted’? Really puzzling.
She was just an above average kid in a below average school in which she felt invincible Aka 宇宙無敵. She fell off track in sec 3 onwards and from her result slip probably not a top secondary school so deduce backwards her PSLE score wasn’t that great anyway. :s8: :s8:
truly gifted kids easily score >250 in the old system

reiser

Reaction score
She was just an above average kid in a below average school in which she felt invincible Aka 宇宙無敵. She fell off track in sec 3 onwards and from her result slip probably not a top secondary school so deduce backwards her PSLE score wasn’t that great anyway. :s8: :s8:
truly gifted kids easily score >250 in the old system
It’s more like 270. With hard work, an above average kid could do 250 to 260+ but 270 is definitely a different level.

I would say her ethnic group plays a huge part in having her believe that she’s ‘gifted’.

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s more like 270. With hard work, an above average kid could do 250 to 260+ but 270 is definitely a different level.

I would say her ethnic group plays a huge part in having her believe that she’s ‘gifted’.
It's more of her primary school as pictured...........providing below average competition and fan her ego too big.
truly gifted kids won't get burnt out one,only not as gifted kids tried too hard then got burnt out.

when i said >250 I meant walked in without preparation also could get 250 kind,not those trained super hard then got above 250 group

once an EDMWer told me he "top his primary school until don't want to top anymore" in a very confident tone,but turned out his PSLE score only 203. yar so personal feeling of how gifted oneself is is very subjective.

reiser

Reaction score
It's more of her primary school as pictured...........providing below average competition and fan her ego too big.
truly gifted kids won't get burnt out one,only not as gifted kids tried too hard then got burnt out.

when i said >250 I meant walked in without preparation also could get 250 kind,not those trained super hard then got above 250 group

once an EDMWer told me he "top his primary school until don't want to top anymore" in a very confident tone,but turned out his PSLE score only 203. yar so personal feeling of how gifted oneself is is very subjective.
Even a truly gifted kid cannot score 240 or 250 without effort. PSLE is no mean feat. I know of at least a gifted kid who scored way below that and had to choose from schools in the 210s range. He had rejected a Confirmed Offer from HCI (DSAed using GEP) because he was sure he could get into RI via PSLE.

䏣炆玧示老太

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even a truly gifted kid cannot score 240 or 250 without effort. PSLE is no mean feat. I know of at least a gifted kid who scored way below that and had to choose from schools in the 210s range. He had rejected a Confirmed Offer from HCI (DSAed using GEP) because he was sure he could get into RI via PSLE.
a truly gifted kid can surely score >250 any day even without preparation. it's not hard at all.
that kid you mentioned probably got into GEP after some training from tuition centre and then let go in GEP class just played all days and not truly that gifted after all. happened before and reported,not the majority though.

anyway my point is truly gifted people have burning passion and will never get burnt out. those burnt out ones are fake prodigies only:s8::s8:

reiser

Reaction score
a truly gifted kid can surely score >250 any day even without preparation. it's not hard at all.
that kid you mentioned probably got into GEP after some training from tuition centre and then let go in GEP class just played all days and not truly that gifted after all. happened before and reported,not the majority though.

anyway my point is truly gifted people have burning passion and will never get burnt out. those burnt out ones are fake prodigies only:s8::s8:
I think you are out of touch with PSLE. I don’t think even adults can score 250 with decent preparation.

I won’t assume the kid went into GEP with training. In any case, if you don’t have the brains, trained already also cannot get in. Only 500 out of 50,000 kids get to enrol into the programme so I will not diss any kid who gets in, with training or not.

YYCole

Reaction score
Just something for interest, from what i understand, within GEP class, there will be some students put in as controls

stanlawj

Reaction score

The key difference between those who succeed and those who don't is their ability to adapt and change strategy earlier before the crunch time. Everyone including gifted will fail at something early on, but those learn to get up and learn new methods to succeed quick enough will continue to earn the label "gifted".

The problem with Nur Hidaya, is that she didn't learn to adapt in Sec 3. Also nobody was there to help her to realise it and help her to adapt. It's not so much of a burnout but a mistake. That same mistake can happen to any successful person today. Self-awareness, metacognition are crucial.

Last edited:

blues7

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
people who call themselves - gifted

maybe they are misled by MOE term, which is somewhat misleading

students selected for GEP, some really is just tuition and enrichment - a lot or resources poured in to clear the test

there are ''coaches'' who specialize in this area

Barbiedoll

Banned
Reaction score
I was from GEP and never needed tuition all my life (except my mum taught me some advanced maths before the GEP tests) and have never failed any tests nor exams even in Medical school. I dun really have burnout cause I enjoy studying. Don't know of any GEP classmates who suffered from burnout either.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.