[GLGT] Meet the Malaysian writers running The Online Citizen

Multiversal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me why 160?
It's not because they lied, as someone claimed, but because they are strict and don't allow the western style of free speech where anybody can write whatever he wants....as is seen now in TOC.

So don't evade or answer my question with a question.

Name me one lie the ST told.

michaelk81

Reaction score

Meet the Malaysian writers running The Online Citizen​

toc-malaysia.jpg

The Online Citizen (TOC) "attacks the Government with its team of Malaysian writers", Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam said on Tuesday (Nay 25).

The minister's comments came as the police took the unusual step of releasing body-worn camera footage of the incident to verify TOC's account of alleged bullying of an elderly woman with dementia who was not wearing a mask.

"TOC has done this to try and cast doubt on the police, to damage the trust that people have in the police, and is really a disservice to the thousands of police officers who have been fighting in the frontlines," Mr Shanmugam said.

The minister also said it is a "regular" occurrence that TOC attacks the Government with its "team of Malaysian writers".

Who are TOC's Malaysian writers​

On September 18 last year, self-styled online vigilante SMRT Feedback carried out an exposé on TOC, alleging that the socio-political site paid Malaysian writers to write negative articles about Singapore.

The group released the real identities and location of anonymous writers under TOC's payroll, several of which are listed below.

1. Rubaashini Shunmuganathan aka "Kiara Xavier"

nONtIbe.jpg

Of all the writers in TOC's stable, Ms Shunmuganathan was singled out as the writer behind two seditious and defamatory articles.

The first article called for Singaporean civil servants to follow the example of their Hong Kong counterparts in protesting.

The second made allegations about Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, which has led to a civil suit by Mr Lee who says they are false attacks against his character and fitness to hold office.

The reveal prompted Mr Shanmugam to ask, "Who controls her? Who pays her? What is her purpose? All these are legitimate questions. Most readers would just assume this was by a genuine Singaporean contributor."

Ms Shunmuganathan is based in Shah Alam, Malaysia and is currently a freelance writer charging USD 12 per hour.

She started writing for TOC since end-2018 until October 2020 before keeping a low profile (due to backlash on her exposé) and then resuming her writing on TOC as recent as January this year. Her total article contribution for TOC stands at 786 on the last count.

2. Kathleen Fernandez

dcSpcC7.jpg

Ms Kathleen Fernandez has been writing for TOC since July 2018, contributing over 1,200 articles. She is currently a regular feature on TOC's editorial team.

Ms Fernandez is also based in Shah Alam, Malaysia, and was a former colleague of Ms Shunmuganathan in a different Malaysian publishing house.

3. Aldgra Fredly

lLB7I4i.jpg

Ms Aldgra Fredly is a Journalism graduate from Malaysia's Universiti Teknologi Mara. Like Ms Fernandez, she is also a regular writer for TOC, contributing close to 600 articles mainly on socio-political affairs in Singapore.

Ms Fredly is currently based in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.

4. Roxanne Tai

ssmIUKH.jpg

Ms Roxanne Tai is currently a full-time writer with TOC since March 2020. She was formerly a writer for Malaysia-based tabloid World of Buzz. Like Ms Fernandez and Ms Shumuganathan, she is currently based in Shah Alam, Malaysia. Her rates are at USD 15 per hour.

3. Stephen Netto

Y1nnNEI.png

Mr Stephen Netto doubles up as social media manager and writer for TOC.

His responsibilities include driving TOC's social media strategy and driving traffic to the site.

Currently residing in Shah Alam, he was formerly an intern at another Malaysia tabloid SAYS.

He has contributed over 400 articles for TOC.

TOC tried to hide the fact that they hired Malaysian writers​

On the same day of SMRT Feedback's exposé, TOC's chief editor Terry Xu replaced the alias "Kiara Xavier" to Ms Rubaashini Shunmuganathan name on all relevant articles, confirming the allegations made by the vigilante group.

Backlash against TOC soon followed.

Without responding to SMRT Feedback's report, Mr Xu hastily posted a "job offer" on Facebook looking for a Singaporean to fill the job as a writer with a salary offer of SGD 2,140 per month. The job description was delibrately worded to intimidate any Singaporeans wanting to apply:

“Before applying for the job, you have to got mental preparation for visits by the police to your home, the possibility of being sued by government officials for your work and trailed by the Internal Security Department. Your family must give the go-ahead to you for taking up the job. While the company will try to cover your expenses and damages but we have to warn you of our limited resources.”

Mr Xu later rebranded The Online Citizen to "The Online Citizen Asia", purportedly to establish itself as a media platform covering international affairs.

SMRT Feedback, however, asserts that the rebranding was a cover for TOC to continue using foreign writers to interfere in Singapore's socio-political affairs.

The allegation was later proven to be true as the Malaysian writers are still reporting exclusively on Singapore's domestic affairs.

TOC is currently dominated by Malaysians​

TOC's social media assets, while controlled by Mr Xu, is also managed by a majority of Malaysian individuals, followed by Singapore and Indonesia and an individual from the United Kingdom.

wmdXMqp.jpg

Mr Shanmugam has long questioned the credibility of TOC. In a speech he gave last year (Sept 25), the minister hghlighted the need for governments to counter the threat of foreign interference in domestic politics through inflammatory articles that seek to fracture social cohesion.

Referring to TOC's team of Malaysian writers, Mr Shanmuugam said, "They have no interest in sociopolitical stability within a country. Their only interest is in eyeballs."

TOC website's chief editor Terry Xu, responding to the minister's speech, said all articles are directed and subsequently approved by him.

"Nothing goes unvetted by me, a Singaporean who has served his national service and held responsible by the Ministry of Communications and Information as the registered person in charge," he was quoted as saying in an article posted on TOC's Facebook page.

https://fathership.co/meet-the-malaysian-writers-running-the-online-citizen

Malaysians should not be allowed to interfere in our domestic affairs. TOC should change its name to "The Malaysian Citizen" to better reflects its editorial team. Boycott TOC !!!

blurredprint

Master Member
Reaction score
No matter how much complains I have I would not turn around and support this kind of "journalism" unless i'm a snake. Hope nobody daft enough to think Msian TOC writers are more concerned about your welfare than their own fellow citizens :s8:

Used to read TOC actively back when it was balanced, then it started turning into a shiat stirrer in the mid 2010s. I once asked the TOC facebook handler what caused the change in journalism stance and he cited "restructuring" due to shortage of ppl without further explanation :o

Last edited:

henghengonedragon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not because they lied, as someone claimed, but because they are strict and don't allow the western style of free speech where anybody can write whatever he wants....as is seen now in TOC.

Last GE, Pappy won by 61%.

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

In your own words, nobody is stupid enough to tell straight lies.

Instead, they play with 99:1 truth, as you said, and also, 99:1 omitted facts.

Go look at the statistics on COVID and unemployment and tell me that the level of detail is sufficient. Touch your heart first ok? :o

That article blasting PMET Singaporeans a few years ago... it's the truth, PMET Singaporeans are this behkan? :(

Also, ponding and every 50 years?

Last edited:

Engineeer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, better not believe ANY article that is written by a foreign writer, or has foreign editors, when the article is about Singapore.

Reuters, BBC, New York Times, Global Times, SCMP, Channelnewsasia, Straits Times, Mothership, and many many more. :o
I didn't know Pink IC means straightaway can write 100% truth about Singapore, or indeed, has the strong desire to at all times.

Don't be xenophobic ok? We need to read widely, regardless of writer nationality. :)

Consistent and latent bias is not good, will cause us to develop a skewed, and therefore untrue, view of the world. :(
Dont be xenophobic but beware of Indians. A good one. ^

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont be xenophobic but beware of Indians. A good one. ^
What Indians? I'm referring to South Asians.

Are you saying that the Straits Times was talking about Indians when they said South Asians?

But I understand your underlying sentiment. And I have to say, I agree with your assessment... I have been inconsistent while saying others are inconsistent. I was a hypocrite. My apologies.

I declare that I accept all foreign writers because I'm not xenophobic. This includes Malaysians and mainland Indians. :)

And I can say this because I know which parties are truly interested in writing the truth in the quest of educating Singaporeans. I don't need to be mollycoddled by a paternalistic framework.

Last edited:

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No matter how much complains I have I would not turn around and support this kind of "journalism" unless i'm a snake. Hope nobody daft enough to think Msian TOC writers are more concerned about your welfare than their own fellow citizens :s8:

Used to read TOC acrively back when it was balanced, then it started turning into a shiat stirrer in the mid 2010s. I once asked the TOC editor what caused the change in journalism stance and he cited "restructuring" without further explanation :o
They still bring out very educational facts and angles about Singapore that I cannot find in other places.

But it does seem that their writing is turning gradually more adversarial... which is just going to play into the hands of the incumbent. (I can only guess that there's a growing group of hardline oppo supporters... the kind of militant mindset that many AWARE members and some ex-SAF regulars have.)
Just look at edmw and the hordes of "intelligent and balanced" commentators like Multiversal... I don't need more of such similar nonsense from TOC. If I want nonsense like this I'll just stick to editorials by ST writers, at least those are lengthier articles that hone my ability to read between the lines.

Seems like really only an elite scholar can write with nuances and true double-speak.... those jhks really cannot make it... should just tone it down and just report and question the angles that the msm always seems to fail to report.

Last edited:

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A person who cannot write well would not even be hired. Not just writing well as in writing in good English...a lot of people write good English but their essay is a helluva boring....but you need to be able to write in a way so interesting and captivating that people even c/p your article for forum discussions.

The question is how many laymen have the ability to curate real news which have been fact checked from the plethora of fake news which are generated by "good writers"? Fake news are not fake all the way, every para of it. They tell 99 parts truth to tell one part lie. This is why many people got scammed who parted with their hard earned money trying to get rich, or to find love. The scammer does not lie so obviously that you know right away that he is a liar.

So when you read TOC articles, you will find that most of it are what you know to be true because you read widely and you know the facts. But just one lie, and if you believe that, is fatal liao.
I take u that u agree that 1 pro govt propaganda in 160 means it is fatal for people as well. its ur responsibility to read widely. there is no such thing as the ABSOLUTE truth especially in news. the american election should be a very gd example that ALL media lies if they benefit........

dxdx999

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope ISD will arrest you for supporting Terry Xu hiring Malaysians to write about us in a Singaporean website.
Overseas websites and publications writing about us, whether it is Global Times, SCMP, New York Times, those I don't care. It's their companies, and they are overseas companies, they write outside for an oversea audience. But writing in a Singaporean website that's intended for a Singaporean audience.....that is a reason why LKY had issues with foreign correspondents and journalists (especially those from the US) who published news in Singapore for a Singaporean audience.
uh oh

reporting to mods for threatening edmwer !

aiptasia

Master Member
Reaction score
TOC is a blog. Want to see how CNA is being run? Should rename it to CECA news agency

j4jersey.

Master Member
Reaction score
employing malaysians to stir a immediate neighbour country, and people here accepted it lol

makes me wonder if i can accept jason chua supporting the pap or not

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
employing malaysians to stir a immediate neighbour country, and people here accepted it lol

makes me wonder if i can accept jason chua supporting the pap or not
I really worry for this generation... side or don't side, friend or don't friend, is purely by nationality logic. I didn't give a damn as to whether Jason was Sinkie or JHK, just didn't like his face and didn't like his stupid propaganda logic black hole articles even more. At least Critical Spectator and Multiversal put in some effort sia, and there's some truth in their words even if oftentimes less than 50% truth, this Jason was a gone case.

I really can just breathe out saying Wa. Lao. Eh. 12 years of education did nothing for many when it comes to logic. Why continue to engage in superficial political discussions sia, just use that education to make moar money lah.

Multiversal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I take u that u agree that 1 pro govt propaganda in 160 means it is fatal for people as well. its ur responsibility to read widely. there is no such thing as the ABSOLUTE truth especially in news. the american election should be a very gd example that ALL media lies if they benefit........
Do you read ST? If you say "Nahhh!!! I don't read 160!", then you have no right to comment about something you actually did not read.

But I read it, and I can tell you the front page tells the breaking news around the world or some important message for the public. As you flip the pages, you get SE Asian news, some local news about housebreaking, bank robbery, bodies found on the Singapore River........all news and nothing politcial about those.

Then it's ST forum where people write feedback...not like those here which some people claim are feedback but actually mocking, taunting, scoffing....then, you go to the sports section. After that, there's Life, lifestyle, tech gadgets and all those stuff which young people and geeks love to read. The recruitment section is rather small these days due to online...but it's there.

Still nothing about politics.

No where have I ever in my long life seen any fake news, any attacks on Pritam, Low Thia Khiang, Chiam, Gerald....in "160"

You people are unhappy because ST does not allow you to use the papers as a politcial platform to spread falsehood, scoff, mock, sneer. Then you accuse the PAP of using it as a politcial platform.

You people support TOC because Malaysians - who don't have a special love for us - are writing about us, all those politcial stuff.

To compare ST which is a newspaper with TOC is a joke. ST is not a political tabloid and the editors do not allow it, whereas TOC is not online news but a website with the stench of fake news written by jhks. How can those buggers who are hiding in Shah Alam know what is happening in Singapore, can anyone tell me, and write "news" without rehashing news they read elsewhere and giving it a new spin?

Last edited:

ToughLuck

Master Member
Reaction score
why are they so concerned about our domestic affairs?

they should be pofma-ed and sued. and banned from entry.

i dont like ceca and our 160 media, but this is also on that same level in a different way

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
He wouldn't agree, simply because you dared to turn his logic around to whack his beloved media.

spinning_quirK

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you read ST? If you say "Nahhh!!! I don't read 160!", then you have no right to comment about something you actually did not read.

But I read it, and I can tell you the front page tells the breaking news around the world or some important message for the public. As you flip the pages, you get SE Asian news, some local news about housebreaking, bank robbery, bodies found on the Singapore River........all news and nothing politcial about those.

Then it's ST forum where people write feedback...not like those here which some people claim are feedback but actually mocking, taunting, scoffing....then, you go to the sports section. After that, there's Life, lifestyle, tech gadgets and all those stuff which young people and geeks love to read. The recruitment section is rather small these days due to online...but it's there.

Still nothing about politics.

No where have I ever in my long life seen any fake news, any attacks on Pritam, Low Thia Khiang, Chiam, Gerald....in "160"

You people are unhappy because ST does not allow you to use the papers as a politcial platform to spread falsehood, scoff, mock, sneer. Then you accuse the PAP of using it as a politcial platform.

You people support TOC because Malaysians - who don't have a special love for us - are writing about us, all those politcial stuff.

To compare ST which is a newspaper with TOC is a joke. ST is not a political tabloid and the editors do not allow it, whereas TOC is not online news but a website with the stench of fake news written by jhks. How can those buggers who are hiding in Shah Alam know what is happening in Singapore, can anyone tell me, without rehashing news they read elsewhere and giving it a new spin?
Oh you mean that technique where photos of incumbent MPs are nice and flattering, smiles and cheers and bright neat teeth, but photos of LTK or Pritam or Sylvia are with angry open mouths, or tired face, or stern face kiam pah wanna fight attitude?

Or what about cooling off day where incumbent plans splash big big and positive, but little to no details and balanced analysis of oppo parties manifestos, no compare and contrast of everybody's policies, just post some out of context claim about oppos wanting to overthrow government? You call that educating the ignorant masses ah?

Seems like I'm actually not the one wearing my heart on my sleeve when it comes to idolising a particular publisher of media. :)
I think the ranking so far is Critical Spec >> Multiversal >= Jason Chua = Nasi Lemak Daily sia.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.