[GLGT] NEA wants people to use plastic bag yet want to charge them for using plastic bag, so what kind of message are they sending?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
NEA on one hand tell you don't use plastic bag, while on the other hand explain why sinkies using plastic bag is no problem, sibei ironic.

Got source got talk
https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services...posal-disposal-of-garden-wastes-and-dead-pets

2. Garden waste​

(e.g. cut grass, leaves, branches)

Please note that a separate recycling collection service for garden waste has been implemented for residents residing in landed premises for all sectors. The garden waste will be collected at least once a week on designated days of the week and the collection frequency for each PWC sector is as shown here.

All grass and leaves should be collected in plastic bags and tied securely. Large branches which cannot be placed inside the plastic bag should be tied up in small bundles.

The plastic bags, together with the bundles of small branches, should be placed beside the recycling bin in front of your house in the morning of the scheduled day of garden waste collection.

Next refer to how they show food waste handling

food-waste-segregation-and-treatment-guidebook_cover.png

look at this government site faq
Source: https://www.towardszerowaste.gov.sg/faq/

7. Why doesn’t Singapore ban plastic bags or impose a levy on them?​

In Singapore, plastic bags are reused by households to bag their waste. This helps to minimise any public health nuisance as it helps to avoid spillage, odour and pest infestation during waste collection. Through extensive public education efforts, households are now accustomed to bag their waste before throwing it down the chute, which is key to hygienic waste disposal. These plastic bags, together with other incinerable waste, are disposed of at the waste-to-energy (WTE) plants where they are safely incinerated and energy is recovered to produce electricity. They are not sent to the landfill where they would cause environmental problems.

NEA does not advocate a ban on plastic bags, and a mandatory charge on plastic bags may result in plastic bags being substituted with other forms of single-use carrier bags, which have different sets of environmental impacts, and this may not lead to an improvement in environmental outcomes.

In Singapore, a more sustainable approach is to tackle the excessive consumption of all types of disposables. NEA will continue to engage stakeholders and businesses to educate the public to use less disposables. This provides flexibility for companies to adopt their preferred approach, taking into consideration their operations and nature of business. Some retailers and food outlets have already taken the initiative to charge for disposables such as food containers. Retailers such as Miniso, Bossini and IKEA either charge for single-use plastic bags, or do not make them available entirely.

So clearly they understand that most sinkies do not waste plastic bag, in fact they reuse it and they also said it themselves that they do not cause environmental problems... now they just flip it and claim it does? Won't be surprised if they slowly remove all those pictures and wordings soon.

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the key is excessive plastic bags....

my house uses around 20-25 plastic bags per week as rubbish bags, but we still have around 200 - 300 spare bags on hand at anytime from grocery trips and the number is growing

sometimes my dad need to throw away plastic bags because too many

u multiply by 1milion families....this is the problem :s13:

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

RedOrion

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

my house uses around 20-25 plastic bags per week as rubbish bags, but we still have around 200 - 300 spare bags on hand at anytime from grocery trips and the number is growing

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

You do home f&b biz ah? Or operate hawker stall, can get so much plastic bags.
Normal family of 4 could use like 2 or 3 bags a day (assuming both adults at work and 2 kids in sch, they be home maybe make dinner). Once or twice a week grocery shopping, take up 6-8 plastic bags from supermarket?

20-25 plastic bags from supermarket maciam really buy a lot every week. :s13:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
I don't think 1million families will keep 200-300 spare bags and continue to grow it.
But ok, let's say each family has 200-300 spare bags
Most use it to bag their rubbish in 2-3 containers and clear it regularly(daily or 3x a week?)...
that would last 3-6 month. Still sounds like they are reusing it to bag rubbish.

So the better education is to remind Sinkies not to hoard plastic bags?

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Normal family of 4 could use like 2 or 3 bags a day (assuming both adults at work and 2 kids in sch, they be home maybe make dinner). Once or twice a week grocery shopping, take up 6-8 plastic bags from supermarket?
20-25 plastic bags from supermarket maciam really buy a lot every week.
laugh.gif

I donno leh, I also shocked, the pile is every growing de...my parents are retirees, 有事没事 got ntuc :s13:

and my laobu is gian png one, free bags just take...the only way to counter her is to charge for e bags :s13:

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What else? Simple, u pay for your plastic bags and we earn money hahahhahaha

fs_lim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Resident plastic waste is nothing compare to plastic waste from the industry lah ai yooo

Just because industry are paying more taxes hence go and hoot residents 🤦‍♂️

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
to be fair, if i'm being charged at supermarket for plastic bag, i should also charge NEA if i'm required to bag by trash before dumping into chut

from now on, i'll trash without bagging, unless NEA pays me. i care for the environment, say no to plastic bags

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think 1million families will keep 200-300 spare bags and continue to grow it.
But ok, let's say each family has 200-300 spare bags
Most use it to bag their rubbish in 2-3 containers and clear it regularly(daily or 3x a week?)...
that would last 3-6 month. Still sounds like they are reusing it to bag rubbish.
So the better education is to remind Sinkies not to hoard plastic bags?

the "make sense" way is to only take whatever plastic bags u need to use to bag rubbish, then the rest use reusable bags

but seriously who will bother? most humans are fanjian....free bags just take for convenience, got extra just throw

for me, I do my part by refusing plastic bags as much as a can lor, since at home already so many

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
the "make sense" way is to only take whatever plastic bags u need to use to bag rubbish, then the rest use reusable bags

but seriously who will bother? most humans are fanjian....free bags just take for convenience, got extra just throw

for me, I do my part by refusing plastic bags as much as a can lor, since at home already so many

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
yes, i think most people just take enough to carry things home and then reuse it to bag their rubbish.
Of course there are kiasu people who take tons, those should be the one who pay for taking lots of plastic bag.

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

20-25 plastic bags from supermarket maciam really buy a lot every week. :s13:
ya! exactly. u said whats on my mind. i feel that i do grocery shopping all the damn time and yet i still dont have enough.

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.