Google Wifi with Singtel Double Nat causing issues on primary puck

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 1Gbps plan, it is not possible to do just 1 port bridging and keep the other three port unbridged but still have internet access. That is for the more expensive 1+1 Gbps gaming plan.

What they will do is to bridge one port for internet (no VLAN required), and then three ports unbridged (no internet access, only for SingTel TV). Your Google mesh will work fine with this configuration, just connect the main unit to the bridged port.

You can search the forum for previous reports of bridging.

Thobo800

Reaction score
Thanks. Confirmed the same with SingTel support via WhatsApp :
„ONR bridge mode, LAN 1 is dedicated for Internet, LAN 2-4 is for Singtel TV. On 1+1 Gamer Bundle plan then then ONR Lan 1-3 will be internet access, and 4th port is bridge for 3rd party RG.“

„you can still revert back from Bridge Mode to Usual ONR mode when you wanted to use all Ethernet Ports on ONR under Singtel Connection Management.“

„The bridge mode will be activated without the VLAN since Singtel will no longer manage your router and Internet connection as you will using a 3rd party router.“

So I should be good to go. Thanks for your advises!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
„ONR bridge mode, LAN 1 is dedicated for Internet, LAN 2-4 is for Singtel TV. On 1+1 Gamer Bundle plan then then ONR Lan 1-3 will be internet access, and 4th port is bridge for 3rd party RG.“
„you can still revert back from Bridge Mode to Usual ONR mode when you wanted to use all Ethernet Ports on ONR under Singtel Connection Management.“
„The bridge mode will be activated without the VLAN since Singtel will no longer manage your router and Internet connection as you will using a 3rd party router.“

Thanks for reporting back.

Now it is easier for me to quote the reply from SingTel about ONR bridging. :)

uncle_josh

Reaction score

This is definitely Good information and Good news for ALL Singtel customers !!!
So did you successfully get Singtel to process your request ?

Last edited:

Thobo800

Reaction score
This is definitely Good information and Good news for ALL Singtel customers !!!
So did you successfully get Singtel to process your request ?
Like to report back on the status. So yes Singtel processed the request within a couple of business days. The bridging was done completely from the backend, no onsite staff was required (Nokia ONR). The technical staff just calls you and direct you on what steps to take (which is turning off the equipment, unplugging all, turning onr back on, they bridge it, and then plugging back the 3rd party router). So the process is rather straight forward.

So ONR is bridged now. I am still facing issues but I guess solely due to Google Wifi (apps sometimes loading slow, and some days frequent connection drops for couple of minutes). Maybe someone can advice on the following:
  • when connecting 3rd party router to bridged Singtel ONR, are any Singtel DNS servers to be listed in the 3rd party router, or automatic, or any other DNS servers you can recommend (I somehow suspect this might be the issue for slow loading). I am currently using googles DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • connnection drops, any one with same issue with google wifi or other 3party router connected to bridged singtel ONR? It is not the problem of the wifi coverage or interference. Restarting Google wifi sometimes resolved the issue.

Thanks guys!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DNS wise Google DNS should be okay, but I use Cloudflare myself due to the family protection feature (1.1.1.3 or 1.1.1.2). You can try 1.1.1.1 if you do not need extra protection. I actually use Pi-Hole with 1.1.1.3 as the upstream.

On the other hand, once bridged your issue should not be related to Singtel ONR any more, but rather Google.

Thobo800

Reaction score
Thanks. Now was troubleshooting with Google support, and surprisingly it turns out the ONR is back in bridge mode. All 4 ports are routing traffic, can access the Singtel ONR via 192.168.1.254 and I am back in double NAT. So back to "great" Singtel support who claim ONR is in bridge mode. Guess would need to do some pushing to get an actual Singtel technician connect to see that is not in bridge mode. Quite upsetting.

The ONR keeps pushing "192.168.1.254" as IP Gateway address. Btw for the Google Wifi users outthere you can use http://onhub.here/api/v1/status to check some trouble shooting info such as Gateway IP, uptime etc.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This has been reported before, sometimes Singtel staff does not bridge the ONR properly, or wrongly reset the correct bridging profile to default configuration from backend causing the bridging to fail.

Thobo800

Reaction score
This has been reported before, sometimes Singtel staff does not bridge the ONR properly, or wrongly reset the correct bridging profile to default configuration from backend causing the bridging to fail.
Quite frustrating. I keep reaching out, they say they will check with backend team and come back to me. Then silly front end comes back with the statement that ONR is already bridged. I guess they check records and see they bridged it and therefore it must be bridged. Went back and forth now. Then I shared screen shots from being locked in to ONR sharing setting details showing private gateway is pushed down, routing mode is on, NAT is on etc. I should not even be able to login to the ONR if in bridge mode from port 1. Crossing fingers that I will finally get a not underqualified SingTel staff actually take time to look at it in detail and to contact me. Let’s see.

Thobo800

Reaction score
Now finally Singtel switched the ONR to bridge mode sucessfully. Again done from the backend. This time I ran tests from my end to confirm bridge mode was successfully configured before hanging up, as the 1st time Singtel said they did but it was unsuccesful back then. To test bridge mode I did the following:
  • Checked to see if I can still access the ONR through port 1 using 192.168.1.254. Which should not work.
  • See if the connected 3rd party router receives a public IP and gateway instead of a private one, meaning no private IP is pushed down by the ONR on port 1, no double NAT.
So now will monitor how Google Wifi behaves over the coming weeks and whether all issues are resolved after removing double NAT and vlan tagging by having the ONR in bridge mode. If there are further hickups I will consult with Google Support to have them analyse the diagnostics. So far they seemed to be helpful. Will update here in case other issues are spotted.

Thobo800

Reaction score
Hi guys, to report back. I now decided to replace my 3 Google Wifi points with another mesh wifi system. After all my initial problems seem to have been caused by both (1) ONR not in bridge mode (2) Google wifi device/firmware issues. After sorting out (1), (2) became more visible and Google support was not able to help resolve the issue in the timely manner. Doing some more research I found that several Google Wifi users are reporting internet connection drop issues despite having good wifi signal. So likely firmware issues that cause the primary router to drop (my guess). Google might fix the issue in the next firmware version, and the issue may not affect all users, but question would be when the next firmware version would come out and whether that really resolves the issue. As I have been fighting with spotty internet now for several month, I just lost my patience to further try. Looking into carousel it seems currently many folks are getting rid of their Google Wifis as well. To bad, I actually really liked the Google Wifi for the first 2 years of usage. Will keep the SingTel ONR in bridge mode anyway as this way I can continue to use the full functionality of the mesh system, which would not be feasible in AP mode.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Simplest option would be just get a mesh system that can configured in AP mode.
Sell off the Google WiFi

petetherock

Reaction score
Interesting thread, I'm keeping it for reference since I'm using Google too. Thanks for the feedback.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.