[gpgt] din0's sg50 trip!!!

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't plan in detail. I will read up on recommendations, etc. I have a skeleton itinerary and I don't follow it closely. I deviate sometimes, based on the recommendations of people I meet on the road.

I usually walk into the accommodation, be it hostel or hotel, when I arrive. I don't usually book ahead except for the first night.

Invest in good quality and light equipment. Get a lightweight camera. I use a Panasonic GX1 or GF1 (can't remember). Am thinking of getting a much smaller and lighter camera though. I don't use my phone for photography much. Phone is usually for navigation (if required).

And do bring muesli bars. It's really handy when you don't like the local food or you don't have time to eat, or while on the bus, trains, etc.
Lol I spoke to Dino before and we are completely different types of traveller. He is fine with a rough gauge on the locations and accommodation. Probably a simple map to identify key areas.

To give some perspective, for my upcoming trip to Europe which is 2 weeks in sep 2015, my itinerary is about 30+ pages packed with nuggets of information, directions, pictures and tips or thoughts for the future me at the location. He says the way I plan stuff will kill off his interest
interest. For me, it's making me even more hyped.

I will say you cannot take dili or Dino approach with Europe. At least not western or Central.

Predominantly I travel free and easy for europe.
Thanks! I agree on the part that overplanning kills too much stuff. I'd much prefer to anyhow walk walk stumble upon kind. :)

Sent from my toaster oven using GAGT

Impz82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I agree on the part that overplanning kills too much stuff. I'd much prefer to anyhow walk walk stumble upon kind. :)

hahaha, i am the overplanning type based on most people, and I feel that I didn't plan enough. That said, I am not the type that likes to pack too much stuff into 1 day. It must be relaxed, yet I cover key places and food that I want, and have a good mix of local street food and snacks.

So ya, a lot of research is done. I will suggest that you might not get to fully enjoy europe if you go with very minimal preparation. Maybe you can, but there are quite a few places in Europe where a pre-booking of about two to three months is required in order to go in. Can't go there on the spur of the moment or "passing by".

FYI, places like Sanoussci Palace in Potsdam, the last supper wall painting in Milan, Reichstag in Germany and a few other places will require prior planning if you wish to get in.

Last edited:

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The internet here is ****. Please continue the discussion. Will definitely give proper replies when I'm back.

Impz82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyway I agree that planning kills.. chin chai la..

hahah totally disagree but I know most people don't like planning. Planning actually makes me very excited and happy. To me, planning a trip is part of the pleasure of a trip.

Spontaneity in medium dosages totally stresses me out and make me unable to enjoy my trip. Wahahaha. I should really show my itinerary to Europe. Probably might cause torture to many people here LOL.

MoraMora

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Holyshyt just finished the thread from page one, really lovely stuff dino! How did you get people to let you inside their homes to take photos? Really just buay paiseh go knock and ask?

Can't wait for my maiden trip after my ord next year. Love travelling alone too (or at least i think i will) but am more into the european countries. More of a food and culture than scenary person but i know a friend who would love to take trips like yours and dilip's! Do you guys usually plan wayyyy in advance? Also using good cameras? I only plan to rely on my phone and a simple point&shoot. :(

phone i would bring 2, one good one, another one spare backup lousy one in case good one got stolen.

camera, i see people like DSLR, but the weight and size is something i do not like. And DSLR attracts alot of attention from thieves. One look they know you are tourist. For me, an advanced compact camera like canon G12 or nikon p7700 type are good enough.

HP cameras are good if you encounter incidents when you need to take a picture quickly. Then that HP in your pocket would be very useful.

Money wise, bring hidden pouches. In europe, museums would likely ask you to deposit your backpack at the storage area. So you can bring alone a small gym sack for you to carry your more important stuff when your backpack is not around.

Banned
Reaction score
hahah totally disagree but I know most people don't like planning. Planning actually makes me very excited and happy. To me, planning a trip is part of the pleasure of a trip.

Spontaneity in medium dosages totally stresses me out and make me unable to enjoy my trip. Wahahaha. I should really show my itinerary to Europe. Probably might cause torture to many people here LOL.
that's why i do operations work :s13:

nothing can freak me out :s13:

Impz82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's why i do operations work :s13:

nothing can freak me out :s13:

For me is probably an occupational disease. I do research and data analysis, so I enjoy a lot of planning :p But ya, even my wife tells me that I probably can't travel with anyone due to my insistence to plan and having a decent level of control.

Which is why tour groups are completely out for me.

Banned
Reaction score
For me is probably an occupational disease. I do research and data analysis, so I enjoy a lot of planning :p But ya, even my wife tells me that I probably can't travel with anyone due to my insistence to plan and having a decent level of control.

i traveled with a scientist :s13:

she's crazier than me

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score

means u plan frm wake up, pangsai, eat etc all the way till end? will u allow pple to go out of schedule or just plan almost every mins if u can? :(

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I don't plan in detail. I will read up on recommendations, etc. I have a skeleton itinerary and I don't follow it closely. I deviate sometimes, based on the recommendations of people I meet on the road.

I usually walk into the accommodation, be it hostel or hotel, when I arrive. I don't usually book ahead except for the first night.

Invest in good quality and light equipment. Get a lightweight camera. I use a Panasonic GX1 or GF1 (can't remember). Am thinking of getting a much smaller and lighter camera though. I don't use my phone for photography much. Phone is usually for navigation (if required).

And do bring muesli bars. It's really handy when you don't like the local food or you don't have time to eat, or while on the bus, trains, etc.

must depend on location n country. some places better to book in advance else u see tourists going ard asking for empty rooms. have to stick with those more laoya one. me is scare of bed bugs though

slopestyle

Reaction score
kashgar to irkeshtam.

supposedly 500+rmb for the bus, but it's only available twice a week, with monday being the more regular one cos it is one day after the huge bazaar. glad i didn't take the bus because the customs guys told me there's supposed to be one on thursdays but it didn't turn up. didn't see any on friday either. since my crossing was scheduled on a thursday, i would have been extremely screwed if the very straightforward bus didn't appear since the border is closed on weekends. i couldn't afford a delay of 3 days since this isn't an infinite-time trip.

the other problem is that i wanted to make it slowly across to osh. didn't make sense to go there only travel some kinda loop or i would have just flown instead. but then i guess i could have traveled towards bishkek and fly back from there. have you arrived?

Ic ic, seems like u enjoyed urself thoroughly in this trip. I have just concluded my central asia journey. Am right now at abu dhabi airport waitinf for connecting flight back to kl then budget airline back to sg.. I took a local bus from bishkek to almaty to catch the flight to kl as flight from bishkek to either malaysia or singapore was super expensive.

Kirgizstan is really a nice place for the great outdoors and to experience the turkic nomadic lifestyle.... It is a shame i didnt get to spend as much time as i want to there coz of work.. Imo, the kirgiz are much friendlier than the kazakhs lol

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
must depend on location n country. some places better to book in advance else u see tourists going ard asking for empty rooms. have to stick with those more laoya one. me is scare of bed bugs though

It doesn't depend on country lah. It depends on the individual.

I'll walked in, in Australia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, China, etc.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ic ic, seems like u enjoyed urself thoroughly in this trip. I have just concluded my central asia journey. Am right now at abu dhabi airport waitinf for connecting flight back to kl then budget airline back to sg.. I took a local bus from bishkek to almaty to catch the flight to kl as flight from bishkek to either malaysia or singapore was super expensive.

Kirgizstan is really a nice place for the great outdoors and to experience the turkic nomadic lifestyle.... It is a shame i didnt get to spend as much time as i want to there coz of work.. Imo, the kirgiz are much friendlier than the kazakhs lol

How's Almaty for you? You could have flown Uzbekistan Airways. Flights are less than S$1k return. Did you go to Shymbulak?
2yy2hrb.jpg

kenzon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spend 2 hrs browsing from page 1 . good read and picha. make me gain only haha

thanks TS for sharing

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
It doesn't depend on country lah. It depends on the individual.

I'll walked in, in Australia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, China, etc.

wasay even in those ulu places where its just those few zz area in the location? i think its a waste of time to go ard looking for lodging even at 8 or 9pm lo. dinner not settle. that sucks sia.

----------------------------

btw dino is still overseas or back liao?
anymore of the nice pic with the clouds n sky reflection in the clear water... without the back of the horse? :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.