[GPGT] Median Salary for degree holder in their 40s is 10k per month excl. CPF contribution

mazatsushi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there is a reason why sgx cannot short....

That reply from me was purely sarcastic, since got one EDMWer who apparently knows it all.

Despite academic research having proved that dollar cost averaging into index investing works over the long term even for a dead market like SGX.

The truth is, the stocks u hold most of the time drops in value by the time u reach 45...

Most of the stocks drops in value... especially those people keep saying blue chips...

There are only a few stocks that increased in value through out all these years...
The truth is, the stocks u hold most of the time drops in value by the time u reach 45...

Most of the stocks drops in value... especially those people keep saying blue chips...

There are only a few stocks that increased in value through out all these years...

So then the intent was to get at least one stock ticker from him, not to shortsell but bet on it rising. Turns out he is not only a real life loser and an idiot, but also a lunatic in a well.

It's almost impossible to shortsell them unless u have ISDA...

Because nobody buys these stocks and are stagnant... That's why special group of people slowly shortsell them... Until they reached maturity date....

There are thousands of companies these funds readily prepares to shortsell... U touch them and they will short u dead...

LAMtopia

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

First of all, if you don't know how to do stock picking, don't buy direct equities.

Secondly, you are wrong. Most stocks increase in value over time. At any 30 year period of time throughout history, if you bought S&P 500, you would have made about 10% per annum.

The point is to diversify.

My advice is if you don't have time or energy to stock pick. Just buy a fund or an ETF.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The median is the middle number, which always depends on how high is the top number.

If top number for degree holder is $30,000 for people in the 40s, then its median salary will be $15,000....what does that number mean to you? Nothing.
Are you referring to average or median?

Median is the 50th percentile, meaning the middle of the data arranged from lowest to highest.

It is the best representative of the data, compared to average.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Median is the 50th percentile, meaning the middle of the data arranged from lowest to highest.

Ya, this is the correct definition. Median is less affected by skews caused by outliers. Basic math lah. If you don't know this I doubt you are making 10kpm.

heng_ah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Of course referring to the thread title, which is MEDIAN.

How can it be the best representative of the data, compared to average/MEAN? They have to be used together in order to be more representative.

When you arranged from lowest to highest but if you didn't catch the outliers, then your MEDIAN is skewed.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea. The median will fall significantly once we reach the generation where almost everyone is a degree holder.
...and other lies that you can tell yourself :razz:

We will know when median for degree holder drops when FT stops coming. Until then, have fun.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya, this is the correct definition. Median is less affected by skews caused by outliers. Basic math lah. If you don't know this I doubt you are making 10kpm.
Exactly.

Difference between mean, median and mode are learnt in .. primary school or sec one?

LAMtopia

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like sgx, u see the value keep going up is due to they keep adding new companies... Actually most of the companies in sgx dropped value after a few years...
Do you even know what you are talking about. How do you measure SGX value (unless you are talking about the securities of SGX itself)? I believe you are talking about STI which is something that can be measured. STI at any time only consists of 30 constituents. So you cannot really "add" companies to the STI unless another firm is removed.

Anyway, like someone else mentioned, they world is so big, stocks doesn't just mean STI or securities on the SGX.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course referring to the thread title, which is MEDIAN.

How can it be the best representative of the data, compared to average/MEAN? They have to be used together in order to be more representative.

When you arranged from lowest to highest but if you didn't catch the outliers, then your MEDIAN is skewed.
What data are you exactly trying to capture?

If you want to see the top earners, then you don't need mean, median or mode. You just see the top earners and compare.

If you want to interpret a whole bunch of data and want to know where you stand compared to the middle of the pack, then choose median data.

snowblaze

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$4k per month for a degree holder at 40 is really low. Even a fresh graduate is getting like $3500.
That’s why un fair to give me such Low pay. But nobody wants to offer higher… I ask the Hr why cannot give me like fresh grad pay. Then whole loads of excuses, look at my past salary etc…
I think unfair to oldies with experience. Workplace injustice.

theMKR

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What data are you exactly trying to capture?

If you want to see the top earners, then you don't need mean, median or mode. You just see the top earners and compare.

If you want to interpret a whole bunch of data and want to know where you stand compared to the middle of the pack, then choose median data.
if want to interpret gini coefficient?

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am 44 and my Taxi income is only around 700 to 800+ per month now. :o

Learn to take it easy and try to stay contented. :o

If compare with elite and those blessed of course they are earning more but more importantly you need to stay alive to see tomorrow. :o

Roundtreex

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U then rubbish talk. It is true 10k for median salary inc bonus if u 40s. U loser donch mean others are not
lol bro i have treasure card if u know me and see my post earlier like a few year ago.
What make u think i am low income?
Anyway i no need to prove to a entertainment forum.
My point goes to 1.4 million sinkie getting gst vouncher. I guess u are not smart.

LAMtopia

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is median income?
If the lowest is $1 and highest is $1m
Median is $500k?
Median is the income of the middle person.

What you described was average not median.

So if 3 person have salary of $500, $1000 and $1m. The median would be $1000. But the average would be 335k.

Acetone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The median is the middle number, which always depends on how high is the top number.

If top number for degree holder is $30,000 for people in the 40s, then its median salary will be $15,000....what does that number mean to you? Nothing.
Median and Mean also dunno.... lets just close the thread bah. lol

This discussion is pointless.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.