[GPGT] Old Tekong Camp Photo

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the brunei jungle all around temburong and laikun camp is ya, uncleaned one, knowning how much history that went into the place and the stuffs that had happened.... these overseas training really must pantang a bit... even the bunks looks scary if u r alone inside... but thailand i find ok cos maybe the vibe the saiyok camp gives me, the spacious bunks and always will have ppl around...
The scariest thing in Brunei jungle are the trees.. They have thorns all over!

Vagrant_Oldman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sad to say, I think none of us are born with the special eyesight for the entities.
And the one with the special eyesight dun want to share too much.
End up we have only bit and pieces of the stories.
Not every 3rd eye can see all ghosts, gods or demons.
It comes with a purpose.

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I encountered the flowery smell during one of the road march.
It was after dinner and on the way back.
I was too tired to think straight.
But, the flowery smell is too strong liao.
Did not think much at that time cos the body is damn tired.
Getting back to camp is the only thing in your mind.

Your alter is in Camp 1 or Camp 3 ?
I can't rmb clearly but the resting bunk is near the ferry terminal. Mine is on the new BMTC, not the same old place you guys are discussing.

The flowery smell, without fail will smell every now and then when we're roaming abt camps at night, not just Tekong. Never thought much of it either, other than the rumours of it being supernatural in origin. I just thought it could be actual flowers. :s13:

Vagrant_Oldman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can't rmb clearly but the resting bunk is near the ferry terminal. Mine is on the new BMTC, not the same old place you guys are discussing.

The flowery smell, without fail will smell every now and then when we're roaming abt camps at night, not just Tekong. Never thought much of it either, other than the rumours of it being supernatural in origin. I just thought it could be actual flowers. :s13:
Maybe someone brought jasmine shower foam :)

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, for old camp 1 there was an altar setup behind cookhouse. Those who did prowling may have noticed it. No toys I could remember though

In fact I have seen similar altar setup in other camps, behind cookhouse and sometimes at MT line.
The strewn toys on the floor is a true curiosity, though the purpose is pretty obvious. Because I've never seen anything like that elsewhere. Altars are usual, can find them in any camp located where you've described.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score

Not sure whether the new camp is as colorful as the new old camp.
Maybe the younger generations can share their stories here.

As for the flowery smell, dun think it can overwhelmed you like the oily smell from frying food in your kitchen.

I also have a peculiar experience with some sound.
Maybe some of you can clear up the doubt for me.

I was doing some reservist exercise at some dairy farm road around 93.
The timing was around 8 pm and I can hear sound of traditional opera blasting from some far distance.
Since I was not familiar with the area, I thought it was some farmer blasting their audio from their house.
Note that the exercise did not take place during the seventh month.
Once again, I was too blur to ask around the people around me whether they are hearing the same thing too.
And assuming it was from the farmers living in the area.
So, my question was the audio was really from the farmers or it was something else.

Maybe some of you who are having exercise in that area can shed some light.

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doing the damn BCTC was crazy considering the physical conditions of all the reservists.
I kana heat stroke during the exercise.
Imagine I dun even kana HS for the whole of my 2.5 years.

There was a water area that we dipped to wash off the mud.
The joke is most of us are hit by rashes and the water area was reported to have some viral infection after that.
Tales like this are the true horror stories...

The things they put you guys through even after you're past your prime, thinking you are still 18yo.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Tales like this are the true horror stories...

The things they put you guys through even after you're past your prime, thinking you are still 18yo.
We dun really have any rebels in my NS platoon.
We just have our fun of cursing and sweating when we saw the bunk conditions.
The instructors also never really tekan us cos we did not make things difficult for them.
Just that the dumb course is really too damn xiong.

I having my NS days late so the instructors know that we are "over-aged" liao.

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We dun really have any rebels in my NS platoon.
We just have our fun of cursing and sweating when we saw the bunk conditions.
The instructors also never really tekan us cos we did not make things difficult for them.
Just that the dumb course is really too damn xiong.

I having my NS days late so the instructors know that we are "over-aged" liao.
They tekan lao peng also not much effect :s13: They guai lan, you guys would've jitao mutinied for real, and nothing will get carried out.
NSmen are truly big fugs.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't know old camp 1 was still in use in 1998. I thought the current bmtc was completed in the late 90s.

lazyclimb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The scariest thing in Brunei jungle are the trees.. They have thorns all over!
And those annoying leeches :mad:
Golf coy, Infantry Training Depot, 1982 here. We were 1st or 2nd batch at Tekong. Old Steel pot helmets. Temasek green uniforms (tucked in), starched (when worn as No. 3) and polished boots. At that time there were still civilian villagers living in Tekong.
Hi lao jiao!!!

Steel helmet with plastic inner helmet ('fireman hat' :ROFLMAO:), and old style SBO (thick belt with eyelets with detachable magazine pouch) were still in use in 94, until we received our own kevlar helmet and SBO in later part of BMT. I assumed there was a shortage of new equipment to issue, so they activated the old ones as loan to incoming recruits until new stock arrived.

Think09

Reaction score
We had Char Siew Pau for nightsnack. From Kong Guan. We had them outside the bunk along the drain, we had them inside the bunk when it was raining. One time we had them at parade square when for some reason mosquito fogging at the bunk was done at night :confused:

Yes, sometimes pau for breakfast. Lor mai kai in army only at canteen or in form of combat ration after the hard tack and pork cubes combat ration phased out :(

Mentioned in earlier posts, during my sergeants' BMT time, the version was the recruit just suddenly found outside the bunk without blood, but body intact. One of our sergeants confessed they added 'stand by organs' to the story to make it spookier as my BMT coincides with lunar seventh month :ROFLMAO:
the char siew pau alway out of shape :ROFLMAO:

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
They tekan lao peng also not much effect :s13: They guai lan, you guys would've jitao mutinied for real, and nothing will get carried out.
NSmen are truly big fugs.
We are still quite "tamed".
And we have a PL SGT who is as chilled as chao guo hui.
He will be the one who will sort out the nonsense if the other side tried to be funny.
Whipped us if we are too slacked.
We are uncles liao so know how to agar agar to get through all the crap.

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Golf coy, Infantry Training Depot, 1982 here. We were 1st or 2nd batch at Tekong. Old Steel pot helmets. Temasek green uniforms (tucked in), starched (when worn as No. 3) and polished boots. At that time there were still civilian villagers living in Tekong.
This point in time still got private taxis plying Tekong or not?

Heard from my father (1st batch NSF) that there was a seafood restaurant near the jetty, and have taxis around. Around 1968/69, he was on the island for a few weeks for some infantry ex/trg.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didn't know old camp 1 was still in use in 1998. I thought the current bmtc was completed in the late 90s.
It was completed in 1999. I was Jan 99 batch in Camp 3. Shifted over to the new facilities midway. Got first dips on the new bunks/beds and facilities....can still remember the watercooler machines tasted of cement and dust last time prob from the construction. Lol

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.