GPU/Graphics card scam alerts/checks

nitterbite

Reaction score
Carousell seller emzo1657 seems shady from description of procedure to procure gpu. Be aware!!
Also, it geek anyone receive gpu?
Just don't do any preorders at the moment, unless it's from reputable retailer( which I don't think any of them are doing ATM). Alot of new accounts popping up selling gpus and PS5 lately so just stay cautious!

doofie

Reaction score
i'm requesting for a full refund for my GPU from ITGeek already. I've clarified with them. They mentioned that even though i've paid in FULL and even my invoice is X amount. When the stock come and its more expensive, they will still ask me to top up. It just doesn't sound right to me. Going to wait for 18 weeks and yet when it comes, i've to pay more. I might as well get from scalpers since the price is going to be the same X months later with the scalpers. They said they will process my full refund. Lets see if i get it then.

kc9517

Reaction score
Just don't do any preorders at the moment, unless it's from reputable retailer( which I don't think any of them are doing ATM). Alot of new accounts popping up selling gpus and PS5 lately so just stay cautious!
Ok thanks.

kc9517

Reaction score
i'm requesting for a full refund for my GPU from ITGeek already. I've clarified with them. They mentioned that even though i've paid in FULL and even my invoice is X amount. When the stock come and its more expensive, they will still ask me to top up. It just doesn't sound right to me. Going to wait for 18 weeks and yet when it comes, i've to pay more. I might as well get from scalpers since the price is going to be the same X months later with the scalpers. They said they will process my full refund. Lets see if i get it then.
Oh that’s sad. They should have mentioned that before if they couldn’t handle the preorder. At least they are honoring the refund hopefully. I am actually waiting for StarHub to start GeForce now subscription. I tried buying gpu but I think I am giving up now. Shifting completely to cloud based services for ML and gaming on PC. It is better to have the hardware but at these prices I can get all the subscriptions I want and still save a lot of money.
Hopefully the recent Bitcoin crash and is going to continue. And then finally slowly the miners will start selling their goods.

doofie

Reaction score
I've seen a few people selling used GPU now. So please be careful when buying used card. Ask if the GPU has been used for mining and for how long. Such cards may be overclocked extensively and to me it should be sold much cheaper than retail of how it has been "abused". But different people different preference. Just be careful for buying used GPU in the coming weeks.

Also there may be good news ahead for people planning to buy GPU for gaming. Nvidia is releasing LHR GPU from May onwards. These cards' hashrate will be reduced by half. Also ETH will reduce the fees likely in July onwards. All these are bad news for miners. So i foresee miners selling their GPU soon. They may sell the old GPU at much higher price as they're not LHR. But do note, ETH will half the fees in July, so it's not going to help. Thus the most logical choice seems to just wait and buy the new LHR GPU instead.

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few people selling used GPU now. So please be careful when buying used card. Ask if the GPU has been used for mining and for how long. Such cards may be overclocked extensively and to me it should be sold much cheaper than retail of how it has been "abused". But different people different preference. Just be careful for buying used GPU in the coming weeks.

Also there may be good news ahead for people planning to buy GPU for gaming. Nvidia is releasing LHR GPU from May onwards. These cards' hashrate will be reduced by half. Also ETH will reduce the fees likely in July onwards. All these are bad news for miners. So i foresee miners selling their GPU soon. They may sell the old GPU at much higher price as they're not LHR. But do note, ETH will half the fees in July, so it's not going to help. Thus the most logical choice seems to just wait and buy the new LHR GPU instead.
Agree. I will never buy a 2nd hand gpu from miners. Only from gamer

kc9517

Reaction score

That’s true. But how can you know if the person is lying or not.

also, I think even shop keepers are trying to sell as much as they can now. Forcing costlier bundles in general.

I think all of us should buy only when the rate goes down to near OG MsRP or perhaps slightly higher. And not get excited to get lower than current prices.

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s true. But how can you know if the person is lying or not.

also, I think even shop keepers are trying to sell as much as they can now. Forcing costlier bundles in general.

I think all of us should buy only when the rate goes down to near OG MsRP or perhaps slightly higher. And not get excited to get lower than current prices.
Only buy from seller that i lnow or from retailer only

ekkle5ia

Reaction score
Anybody received updates from their investigating officer? Mine never replied me. -_-

doofie

Reaction score
yeah, with ETH changing and LHR GPU, i expect the GPU prices will like go back more to "normal". But guess what, i'm seeing people selling their 3090 at 4.6k in carousell. That's just crazy. Well unless you're filthy rich. And miners probably won't buy it because, they won't ROI so fast at $4.6k. My advice is not to buy at such crazy prices because by July/Aug, we should see more LHR in the market and ETH will change the reward. Miners will probably want to sell their GPU instead. And since it's so abused, it may even be much cheaper.

kc9517

Reaction score
Yeah. Just be a bit more patient. The supply issue was going to be solve by year end anyway. It was just the mining that was the more worrisome part buying away the new cards. But soon enough we should see more or else earthly prices for the cards possibly without the stupid bundles forcing people to buy unnecessary stuff.

I pity the fools who thought they can buy from dell, take gpu out and try to sell the system. So many such ads present on Carousell.

Also, I started seeing few ads for used 3060/3070 cards on Carousell for slightly lower price already.

just a matter of time.

memoleaf

Reaction score

I pre-ordered a 3080 from ITGeek back in Nov, and still haven't received the card. I guess I'll asking for a refund as well.

Vodkilla

Reaction score
I pre-ordered a 3080 from ITGeek back in Nov, and still haven't received the card. I guess I'll asking for a refund as well.

i also ordered a tuf 3080 from them in Nov, waited a few months and no updates. got my refund after chasing for awhile.

doofie

Reaction score
Seems like the stock may be coming back and found this Asus 3090 at around $3k from Amazon. I'm guessing this will likely be the LHR version. But glad that this 3090 is back to the 3k price (before all the hype). Sharing the link if anyone is interested. I rather get from Amazon then get from ITGeek for now. Btw, i'm still pending the full refund from ITGeek.

doofie

Reaction score
Seems like the stock may be coming back and found this Asus 3090 at around $3k from Amazon. I'm guessing this will likely be the LHR version. But glad that this 3090 is back to the 3k price (before all the hype). Sharing the link if anyone is interested. I rather get from Amazon then get from ITGeek for now. Btw, i'm still pending the full refund from ITGeek.

oh never mind... just found out from Amazon that there's some issue with the inventory for this item. Thus it can't be ordered. No wonder my item got cancelled......

but still, i'm not going to order all those cards from carousell that are selling at 4k++

Reaction score
Had a long read and probably saved me from being scammed on carousell for these preorders of graphic cards. I thank all who had shared their experiences and I also felt sorry for those who were victims to scams. I really want to upgrade my rig from a GTX1070 to a RTX3070. But the situation is really bad now. I guess I only have two options. To wait for future stocks (wonder how long) or simply pay scalpers’ price. I will always choose the former and be grateful my card is still working fine. I just hope people can all wait for the price to drop as the supplies goes up and demand comes down. It will be wonderful for everyone!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.