Grab & Go-Jek driver lip lai - Part 15

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
Recently kena covid sia and was discharged from my 10 days Isolation Order lo. Shag. I was told 270 days don need submit ART le.
Kana already oso can kana again due to different variants. Touch wood first Hor. Many reported cases in other countries n iirc so far Singapore got 1 person who got Covid twice. Take care n be extra careful.

Anyway, is there any payout from the government if cannot drive? What about from Grab?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kana already oso can kana again due to different variants. Touch wood first Hor. Many reported cases in other countries n iirc so far Singapore got 1 person who got Covid twice. Take care n be extra careful.

Anyway, is there any payout from the government if cannot drive? What about from Grab?
Treat it as a common flu , moving fwd.

Cokacola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys whats the average income phv can expect driving full time nowadays? Say 10hrs per day for 5 days a week?

Kumar22

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
say $80 net.

22 days is $1760 and you got a car fully paid for.
is as if you earn $3000 and buy car

not bad leh
This is a very flawed argument.
If you bought a car, you don't have to drive it daily and for x number of hours.
You have to drive because rental doesn't stop. If you rest, you must make up for it, be it the next day or following days by driving extra hours.

Ok take another scenario, you own a car and you drive, and earn 80 bucks as you say, a salary of 3k.
There are still downsides, you're gonna 'torture' your car. You gonna incur costs. You have to do repairs.
And even if you do own, you're probably on a loan that must be paid monthly. Albeit lesser than rental, but still requires x number of hours to cover that, petrol, parking (break time), ERP (day driver) and expenses like food and drink.

So this is not a good analogy. Nobody who earns 3k would normally buy a car. That would leave a very big hole in their monthly budget.

Last edited:

Kumar22

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Being a PHV driver or td, is not an easy job as some people make it out to be.
That's why for so many years this was considered 'the job of last resort'.

To provide avenues for those with lower educational backgrounds to earn money and for those who lose their jobs, to at least have this to fall back on.

Yes, the 'majapahit era' as I call it, tds earned a lot compared to the contemporaries, those delivery commercial drivers etc.

But the hidden costs people never see, just, oh wow tds earning like 6k a month.
They don't see the long hours needed for such a figure. The back pains, time away from family. A very bad job health wise in the long run. Just sitting down for hours on end. No medisave, no leave, mc 'boh pakai,' And the need to be alert 100% of the time. To paraphrase Muhammad Ali, this is a very dangerous job' to get tired. You're in big trouble. 1 accident and all your income is just wasted. In other jobs, you make a mistake, nobody gets hurt or injured. You doze off, nobody cares (except the boss)

But of course it's not all bad and tough. But you really must set goals, save and set aside for the rainy days that will surely catch up with you. My former td hirer, actually bought his flat in Bishan solely on his td income. Fully paid too.

Now of course is gig economy. I'm not saying cannot do or totally tough.

But you really have to plan, have a system, learn from mistakes (preferably not your own). You must know how to react, how to maximise like my 'Kumar Incentives.' You just become a 'rubbish bin,' take every fecking job, in the end, you're the loser. You won't realise this until later on. You must have knowledge of areas, timings and the kind of passengers you ferry. You have to make cherry picking an art and how to maintain your ratings/cancellations. And you must save.

Of course this is not always possible, if you have a family to provide and your spouse doesn't work and everyone depends on you. As was my case for a number of years when the kids growing.
Then later when I switched, still had to work for daughter's uni fees. Wife also worked to ease the burden.

It's a job that can feed your family, pay the bills and for other stuff, this is very achievable.
But to get rich or hope to live a luxurious lifestyle as some clowns on FB (even here) are prone to do, this is a fallacy. Of course it may happen a few times or a short period but it's not sustainable. That's what they fail to see.

There is no golden rainbow and how 'lucky maybe hardworking' you are, this job is not a golden goose that keeps laying golden eggs.

Last edited:

GojekDriver

Reaction score
Grab flop during trading on first day . Becoming another Hyflux soon ? Shady balance sheet, non sustainable business model
Ya grab management paying themself too high salary. Even 20% Comm can’t satisfy their greed. Gojek only take 10% but balance sheet still healthy and strong.

GojekDriver

Reaction score
Being a PHV driver or td, is not an easy job as some people make it out to be.
That's why for so many years this was considered 'the job of last resort'.

To provide avenues for those with lower educational backgrounds to earn money and for those who lose their jobs, to at least have this to fall back on.

Yes, the 'majapahit era' as I call it, tds earned a lot compared to the contemporaries, those delivery commercial drivers etc.

But the hidden costs people never see, just, oh wow tds earning like 6k a month.
They don't see the long hours needed for such a figure. The back pains, time away from family. A very bad job health wise in the long run. Just sitting down for hours on end. No medisave, no leave, mc 'boh pakai,' And the need to be alert 100% of the time. To paraphrase Muhammad Ali, this is a very dangerous job' to get tired. You're in big trouble. 1 accident and all your income is just wasted. In other jobs, you make a mistake, nobody gets hurt or injured. You doze off, nobody cares (except the boss)

But of course it's not all bad and tough. But you really must set goals, save and set aside for the rainy days that will surely catch up with you. My former td hirer, actually bought his flat in Bishan solely on his td income. Fully paid too.

Now of course is gig economy. I'm not saying cannot do or totally tough.

But you really have to plan, have a system, learn from mistakes (preferably not your own). You must know how to react, how to maximise like my 'Kumar Incentives.' You just become a 'rubbish bin,' take every fecking job, in the end, you're the loser. You won't realise this until later on. You must have knowledge of areas, timings and the kind of passengers you ferry. You have to make cherry picking an art and how to maintain your ratings/cancellations. And you must save.

Of course this is not always possible, if you have a family to provide and your spouse doesn't work and everyone depends on you. As was my case for a number of years when the kids growing.
Then later when I switched, still had to work for daughter's uni fees. Wife also worked to ease the burden.

It's a job that can feed your family, pay the bills and for other stuff, this is very achievable.
But to get rich or hope to live a luxurious lifestyle as some clowns on FB (even here) are prone to do, this is a fallacy. Of course it may happen a few times or a short period but it's not sustainable. That's what they fail to see.

There is no golden rainbow and how 'lucky maybe hardworking' you are, this job is not a golden goose that keeps laying golden eggs.

I agree with Muthu that drivers can’t just accept any order. Otherwise image wise it makes us look like prostitute and is not economically viable. Imagine morning I accept trip to Raffles Place $20. But CBD area no customer in morning so return trip to area with customer take 15mins & 2L of petrol. Since I am worth $30/hr it translate to $11.50 worth of opportunity cost.

But to each his own la for me I don’t do morning trips at all. Let those comfort taxi rip off the passenger going town haha :)

wlsh777

Reaction score

Thanks.

For government covid related grant can visit:

https://supportgowhere.life.gov.sg/categories/covid-19
Previously if kena covid ah gong will give 100 per day. Now no more le.

For Grab, they will give 100 for emerald 300 for ruby and 500 for sapphire and diamond tier.

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya grab management paying themself too high salary. Even 20% Comm can’t satisfy their greed. Gojek only take 10% but balance sheet still healthy and strong.
Gojek oso going IPO soon in Indonesia. Gojek was started about 1 year b4 Grab n had lost money every year for more than 10 years already! Started by someone who was an Ex classmate of Anothny Tan.

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree with Muthu that drivers can’t just accept any order. Otherwise image wise it makes us look like prostitute and is not economically viable. Imagine morning I accept trip to Raffles Place $20. But CBD area no customer in morning so return trip to area with customer take 15mins & 2L of petrol. Since I am worth $30/hr it translate to $11.50 worth of opportunity cost.

But to each his own la for me I don’t do morning trips at all. Let those comfort taxi rip off the passenger going town haha :)
There are so many Condos in the CBD LAH. DT morning go to CBD sure got job cause got priority allocation. When I show job to RNS in the CBD, he is very unhappy with Moi. Why?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.