Grab & Go-Jek driver lip lai - Part 15

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
Nowadays, nobody want to waste petrol...$3++/Litre... crazy to drive empty car to Airport or Tuas South.

Airport is the worse place to be, new covid variants, empty car, waste petrol waiting, fare also bloody low.

For the last 7 years, i always let the Taxi drivers earn the Airport business. Really pointless to park there and wait.

Low fares, Low incentives, nowadays, just chill at home, or go walk walk.

Cabbies, private-hire drivers continue to avoid Changi Airport; longer wait for travellers
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...oid-changi-airport-longer-wait-for-travellers

Last edited:

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
The problem is phv driver job description is no longer sexy. Cannot attract new drivers in.

More older drivers also retired or drive lesser.

The next market is driverless ride. They should invest in it.

Frustrations as taxi and ride-hailing fares surge, and bookings are rejected
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...hailing-fares-surge-and-bookings-are-rejected
Drivers and operators cannot survive on just one or two hours of surge fares a day alone and have to make their assessments based on the total income available to drivers.

"The total income available throughout the day, or the week, needs to be large enough to cover the required wage for the driver and the operating and capital costs of the vehicle," Prof Theseira said.

"As the market platforms and operators become more convinced that the resurgence in demand is here to stay, they will continue to ramp up their plans to attract drivers back. In the short term, the platforms and drivers are happy to earn higher commissions and fares."

Meanwhile, passengers will have to pay the higher fares for the private car rides - a premium transport option that is also looking to attract workers in a tight labour market.

Prof Theseira added: "Driving is not an easy job, so why should we think that drivers owe us a cheap and easily available ride?"

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
Prof Theseira comments so true.

1) The risk return is not lucrative enough for drivers to put in the Extra hours.
More work hours, more accidents prone due to fatigue.

2) The high petrol cost not sensible for drivers to put in the Extra Mileage. Drive more, idle more, more petrol cost.

3) The low fare and low incentive no sense for drivers to ply around to look for customers. Common sense.

4) assuming A Guy can choose to be Office worker/Salesman for 8 hours a day. Salary most likely around $2000+ to $3500++ (with CPF, leave, medical benefits etc) for 24 days work per month
Apple for apple, A Guy drives 8 hours everyday for 24 days work per month...most likely, he going to earn around $1500 to $3000+/- (no CPF, no other benefits).

Ec7171

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...hailing-fares-surge-and-bookings-are-rejected
Drivers and operators cannot survive on just one or two hours of surge fares a day alone and have to make their assessments based on the total income available to drivers.

"The total income available throughout the day, or the week, needs to be large enough to cover the required wage for the driver and the operating and capital costs of the vehicle," Prof Theseira said.

"As the market platforms and operators become more convinced that the resurgence in demand is here to stay, they will continue to ramp up their plans to attract drivers back. In the short term, the platforms and drivers are happy to earn higher commissions and fares."

Meanwhile, passengers will have to pay the higher fares for the private car rides - a premium transport option that is also looking to attract workers in a tight labour market.

Prof Theseira added: "Driving is not an easy job, so why should we think that drivers owe us a cheap and easily available ride?"

I saw the article on EDMW. One look i knew the statistics on the drivers is wrong.

And nobody from LTA, NTA, NPHVA or relevant people will say anything. Let them spread that we have 15k+68k drivers on the road.

Zzzz

I dont really trust this article on the surge + booking rejected etc. Sounds like all drivers is busy finding good fares.

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
I saw the article on EDMW. One look i knew the statistics on the drivers is wrong.

And nobody from LTA, NTA, NPHVA or relevant people will say anything. Let them spread that we have 15k+68k drivers on the road.

Zzzz

I dont really trust this article on the surge + booking rejected etc. Sounds like all drivers is busy finding good fares.
After finishing his 6 months contract on his 5th Gen Toyota Prius, RNS had upgraded to driving premium 7 seater. On the road there are so many Alphard, Vellfire, Noah n Voxy etc must be Jin Ho Tan. RNS is busy finding good fares🤣

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score

Zzzz

More n more drivers are like RNS. They become cherry pickers cause the incentive is so low. No good fares, don't drive. Cancel all the ** fare or don't accept those ** fare. Have to use your brains to earn a reasonable income.

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score

Weekday morning rush hour no surge, stuck in traffic with ** fare. How to attract more drivers to come in when income is no good. 50% of my friends/relatives had already left the PHV industry including my 2 BIL. Drive night time better, weather not hot n no traffic jam. Save a lot on petrol

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
Weekday morning rush hour no surge, stuck in traffic with ** fare. How to attract more drivers to come in when income is no good. 50% of my friends/relatives had already left the PHV industry including my 2 BIL. Drive night time better, weather not hot n no traffic jam. Save a lot on petrol
Exactly, morning rush hour + Rain, about 1 hour per trip for $25-$30+/- fare. Not worth the hassle. I shaking legs at home now.

Silence Boycott :cool::)o_O

fake_oranges

Banned
Reaction score
4) assuming A Guy can choose to be Office worker/Salesman for 8 hours a day. Salary most likely around $2000+ to $3500++ (with CPF, leave, medical benefits etc) for 24 days work per month
Apple for apple, A Guy drives 8 hours everyday for 24 days work per month...most likely, he going to earn around $1500 to $3000+/- (no CPF, no other benefits).

But the Grab driver got a car. In order for the office worker to afford a car with same pay, he needs to earn maybe $1500 more

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
Today cancel 2 trips in the afternoon...8.5km away from Airport T1...Grab real desperate.
Trip 1: T1 to Toa Payoh & Novena. 2 destinations...Fare $22 for 20km
Trip 1: T1 to Beach Road. 1 destination...Fare $18 for 24km

Call Centre Manager really power. Say Driver cannot choose customer..
8.5km away also must complete then call in to claim the spot bonus of $3.

Really salute Grab. Next time if I around Changi Business Park, Loyang Ave, Pasir Ris Drive 1, Tampines Mart, Changi Prison...better switch off Grab Driver App. No point travel 7km to 8.5km to earn Low Fare and get Free virus.

But Grab say it's Fair and many drivers willing to do it. Think there's a lot of Hungry Drivers who willing to travel 8.5km to earn $18 fare.

Last edited:

tomzire

Master Member
Reaction score
Shaking leg at home on Friday evening.
Grab Dynamic Pricing funny...

Hougang to Tuas Checkpoint $36, 45km, 45mins
Hougang to Ion $31, 14km, 34mins
Hougang to Bugis $30, 14km, 24mins

logic? $5 to $6 more travel 31km more to deserted Tuas for 45 mins, then add another 10 mins to travel 11km out to popular area to Hunt for customer.
Don't know the programmers got fever a not.

No wonder Grab not earning money, got such programming logic, real failure.
Drivers suffering together also, we paying 20% commission for stupid logic.

1076318074-jiFfM.jpg

Last edited:

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
Today cancel 2 trips in the afternoon...8.5km away from Airport T1...Grab real desperate.
Trip 1: T1 to Toa Payoh & Novena. 2 destinations...Fare $22 for 20km
Trip 1: T1 to Beach Road. 1 destination...Fare $18 for 24km

Call Centre Manager really power. Say Driver cannot choose customer..
8.5km away also must complete then call in to claim the spot bonus of $3.

Really salute Grab. Next time if I around Changi Business Park, Loyang Ave, Pasir Ris Drive 1, Tampines Mart, Changi Prison...better switch off Grab Driver App. No point travel 7km to 8.5km to earn Low Fare and get Free virus.

But Grab say it's Fair and many drivers willing to do it. Think there's a lot of Hungry Drivers who willing to travel 8.5km to earn $18 fare.
Still must call in to get the $3 for pick up more than 3 km? Last time they say it will be given automatically.

Grumpy Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
Grab's low in yesterday trading was at 2.31. Was down more than 80% since its IPO in December last year.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.