Graduate Certificate for Computing Foundation (NUS)

aamaterasu

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a graduate from NUS chemical engineering working in the IT industry with 3yr + experience.

Anyone has any advice if I should be going for this certification?

My consideration is that I should get my foundation right and this certificate will cover 3 modules.
IT5001 Software Development Fundamentals
IT5002 Computer Systems and Applications
IT5003 Data Structures and Algorithms

In the future if I do really decide to go in IT deep, I can apply for masters in computing again?

Thanks. Hope to hear from your experiences.

kaiwai

Reaction score
Hi Aamaterasu, I’m also a fellow NUS chemical engineering graduate and I have alrd took 2 modules for IT5001 and IT5003 in the previous semester (Jan-May 2020). This coming semester (Aug-Dec 2020), I’m gg to take IT5002. I don’t mind PMing you for more details but this HW zone doesn’t allow me to PM as I’m a new user. If you don’t mind, I would like to exchange contact with you to find out more about IT experience as well.

Last edited:

Chihiro77

Reaction score
Goodluck for the coming semester! Also a GC computing student here and also in the IT industry! Couldn't find much information on the modules online but the 2 weeks "try-out" period should be a good guage. So far IT5001 by Prof Alan Ho seems pretty basic. If you've tried python before (some datacamps etc) you should do fine. From my undergraduate experiences in nus, it's not difficult to pass but it's difficult to get A.

Last edited:

b0ring

Reaction score
Do your know how the credits can transfer to mcomp and after transferring, how much more modules or credit required to complete the master programme and lastly how long required to complete the mcomp via part-time with credits transfer?

Chihiro77

Reaction score
Do your know how the credits can transfer to mcomp and after transferring, how much more modules or credit required to complete the master programme and lastly how long required to complete the mcomp via part-time with credits transfer?

I'm assuming you're talking about the new Masters Program (Master of Computing General Track). The requirement for that masters is:

Essential Modules (24MC/6modules)
- 3 modules can be satisfied using your GC cert
- IT5005 Artificial Intelligence
- IT5006 Fundamentals of Data Analytics
- Another module
Capstone Project (12 MC)
Elective Modules (16 MC/3modules)

For part time 2.5-3 years (3 years is the max). But after having already obtain your GC, you just need to fulfil another 6 modules & 1 capstone project. You can even comfortably space the modules out and still graduate on time or earlier than 2.5 years.

I am taking some GC modules now part-time, and I think 2 modules is the max I can afford. Pretty tiring to not have breaks after working hours.

Not so sure about the transferring part, but the department did say I don't have to declare anything cause everything is already in their system. Better to still check with them first.

I'm just curious about the Master's fee and the percentage of students that they accept..

b0ring

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're talking about the new Masters Program (Master of Computing General Track). The requirement for that masters is:

- Another module
Capstone Project (12 MC)

For part time 2.5-3 years (3 years is the max). But after having already obtain your GC, you just need to fulfil another 6 modules & 1 capstone project. You can even comfortably space the modules out and still graduate on time or earlier than 2.5 years.

I am taking some GC modules now part-time, and I think 2 modules is the max I can afford. Pretty tiring to not have breaks after working hours.

Not so sure about the transferring part, but the department did say I don't have to declare anything cause everything is already in their system. Better to still check with them first.

I'm just curious about the Master's fee and the percentage of students that they accept..
Thanks Chihiro for the information. I emailed NUS and they copy and paste the requirements from their website for me and thats tall. Talk about laziness.

I am looking at GC for SecureSystems as I am in the cybersecurity line. Just unsure how useful will it be and with just GC not sure if it will open more doors, if not then I will continue to Mcomp in Infocomm Security, however, everything is base on competitive nature and no guarantee that anyone can get in even completed the GC.

I think thats the concern for my side, and hope you are doing fine with your current course!

Bumble.bee

Reaction score
Goodluck for the coming semester! Also a GC computing student here and also in the IT industry! Couldn't find much information on the modules online but the 2 weeks "try-out" period should be a good guage. So far IT5001 by Prof Alan Ho seems pretty basic. If you've tried python before (some datacamps etc) you should do fine. From my undergraduate experiences in nus, it's not difficult to pass but it's difficult to get A.

Yes me too! I was unable to find much info online. :( I'm interested in those modules as well! Do you happen to know the components for IT5001, IT5002 and IT5003 i.e. quizzes, assignments, etc? Able to share? Thanks! :s22:

stonefruit

Reaction score

- Another module
Capstone Project (12 MC)

Hello, I emailed them about the mysterious "Study Awards". This is the reply from SoC.

Study Awards

However, Study Awards are available to some students. For a transition period of three years from Academic Year 2020/21, priority for study awards shall be given to applicants who are Singapore Citizens and Singapore PRs.

For January 2021 admission, the School intends to offer S$25K study award to each admitted Singaporean, a S$12K study award to each admitted PR. This offer will be made in admission offer we give out to successful local applicants. The awards are given on a competitive basis to deserving candidates. Applicants do not need to apply for the awards as eligible candidates will be notified in the admission offer.

Candidates who are already in receipt of full scholarships or sponsorship support are not eligible for the Study Awards. Those who are in receipt of partial scholarship/sponsorship shall have proportionally reduced study awards.

justanotherock

Reaction score
Late to this thread - but would anyone be willing to share course outlines or materials for the 3 Graduate Cert modules? That info is hard to come by. Thanks.

Towelie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, im keen to know also.

but it only allows you to do the Masters - General Track.

Can you do other tracks as well? Such as Com Sci, Info Sys, Cyber Sec track?

ChevyImpala

Reaction score

- Another module
Capstone Project (12 MC)

From what is described at this page:

In addition, we also offer another certification programme called the Graduate Certificate in Computing Foundations in which students complete the essential modules prior to enrolment as MComp students. Students who successfully convert from the Graduate Certificate in Computing Foundations to the MComp programme can use the completed modules from the certificate to fulfil MComp programme’s 6 essential modules requirement.

So in this case, yeah you can transfer your module credits from the Graduate Certificate in Computing Foundations to Master of Computing - General Track.

(In fact, when you reference the Master of Computing - General Track module list, you can see the "Essential Modules" are exactly the same from the Graduate Certificate in Computing Foundations.)

I hope this helps! This is from someone also interesting in doing the Graduate Certificate. Then if I like it, I will take the Master of Computing - General Track. :)

Cheers!

Genjutz

Reaction score
Hi Aamaterasu, Kaiwai and Chihiro77, I'm looking into taking the GC programme in Computing Foundations also. Maybe will join the August 2021 batch if accepted..

Do you mind to share some course reading materials and assessment outlines with me?

Thank you very much!

all the best!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.