[GVGT] Man arguing with TP on use of mobile when vehicle is stationary

sfugel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The key words are operating vehicle and using phone. Need to be both to be an offence. Sitting at traffic light typing sms is not offence if I recall correctly.
Technically you are in a running vehicle and in the drivers seat so yes, you are operating it. Right or wrong, it's they say one.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically you are in a running vehicle and in the drivers seat so yes, you are operating it. Right or wrong, it's they say one.

in motion, rather than running vehicle.

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ons-that-constitute-illegal-cellphone-driving

Quote:

Traffic Police clarifies conditions that constitute illegal cellphone driving​

SINGAPORE - The Traffic Police have put to rest uncertainty over whether it is an offence for motorists to use their cellphones while their vehicles are stationary at a traffic light.

For it to be considered cellphone driving, and thus an offence, three conditions must be fulfilled, Superintendent Louis Loke, Head (Operations & Training), said at a dialogue session with taxi drivers on July 12.
Firstly, the vehicle must be in motion. In addition, the driver has to be holding the device, as well as using a function on it.
If only one or two of the conditions are fulfilled, it is not an offence, Mr Loke noted in a clip posted on the Roads.sg Facebook page on Wednesday (July 27).

TehOPengSiuDai

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These days most people got hands-free device mounted in their cars, want to use HP, just use speaker function la. So difficult? Still need to hold the HP in hand?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The driver is right leh. Stationary can use phone, even hold on to the phone.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
I hate to think that drivers may actually need to printout a copy of news article that say otherwise and keep in the vehicle. 🤣

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interesting finding by gpt.

In Singapore, it is an offence to use a mobile phone while cycling on public roads, even if the cyclist is stationary. The relevant section of the Act that prohibits this is Section 65B(1A) of the Road Traffic Act, which was added in 2016. It states:

"(1A) No person shall ride a bicycle on a road while holding or using a mobile communication device."

This means that cyclists are not allowed to use mobile phones while riding on public roads, regardless of whether they are stationary or in motion. The penalty for contravening this provision is a fine not exceeding $1000 for a first offence, and a fine not exceeding $2000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both, for a second or subsequent offence.

It is important to note that the prohibition on the use of mobile phones while cycling only applies to public roads. Cyclists are allowed to use mobile phones while riding on cycling paths and shared paths, as long as they do not endanger themselves or others. However, it is always recommended to exercise caution and avoid using mobile phones while cycling to ensure maximum safety on the roads.
Eh some butoh grab cyclist still use loh

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh some butoh grab cyclist still use loh
IMHO.
I saw a few time Blangah cyclist also do that. I got a feeling they don't know.
Also, Blangah drivers like to drive in middle lane. I got a feeling no one tell them keep left unless overtaking.
I also see non-Singaporean in estate plucking leaves and flowers. I got a feeling no one tell them also.

gnoes85

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These days most people got hands-free device mounted in their cars, want to use HP, just use speaker function la. So difficult? Still need to hold the HP in hand?
U think people use handphone only to call when driving?

JivBunny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Revoke his license. Make him go retake basic theory again.

As long as your engine is on and you are holding the phone. You are in offence.

Screenshot-2022-01-11-at-9.52.07-AM-1536x1066.png
Pls read 126 clearly.

All 3 pts must be satisfied, with the last point, car is in motion.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.