Gynecomastia (man boobs) and liposuction discussion

Calm11

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. After I googled on "man boobs" in Singapore, I noticed the last discussion on it in HWZ was way back in 2014.

I hope this new thread will bring in more interest in the topic as quite a high % of men suffer from it, not just internationally but locally as well.

Has anyone done their gynecomastia surgery (or liposuction of any kind) before in private clinics or Singapore General Hospital (SGH)? I wish you could kindly share your experiences. Are you satisfied with the final results?

Also, did you do the procedure using IV sedation or general anesthesia? I noticed different doctors and clinics have different preferences regarding this.

Hope to hear from you soon! :)

Shafune

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. After I googled on "man boobs" in Singapore, I noticed the last discussion on it in HWZ was way back in 2014.

I hope this new thread will bring in more interest in the topic as quite a high % of men suffer from it, not just internationally but locally as well.

Has anyone done their gynecomastia surgery (or liposuction of any kind) before in private clinics or Singapore General Hospital (SGH)? I wish you could kindly share your experiences. Are you satisfied with the final results?

Also, did you do the procedure using IV sedation or general anesthesia? I noticed different doctors and clinics have different preferences regarding this.

Hope to hear from you soon! :)
Hi. I actually went for gynecomastia surgery with some lipsuction in the chest area as I had Grade 2 gynecomastia. I literally went for my first consult on my 30th B'day last year and I'm happier than ever.

TLDR: 1 day mental downtime, 2 days physical downtime (exclude follow up). Costs about $16k but if you have private hospitalisation insurance, it can be utilised (insurance is finicky so best to check with the clinic). Best decision of my life.

Some history: I had gynecomastia since my teens and no matter how lean I got or how much I worked out, like even with abs showing, it does not disappear (Like obviously, cause it's glandular tissue and not fats). So it's years of bullying, always covering up in the pool where possible etc.

First Consult:

I did it in a private clinic, in Wisma Atria (I can PM you for specifics). Very friendly guy, cool as a cucumber. He went thru the different grades, assessed my gynecomastia (pinching and visually inspecting the area), then talked me thru the whole shebang thing from actually where is the gland, the surroundings fats, where he is going to make the incision, whether there is going to be alot of loose skin or not etc. Basically, aside from removing the gland, he helps to shape the chest as well using liposuction and excision of the gland. Then the other details like if you wanna be awake during the procedure, or asleep. My procedure would take her about 15 to 20 mins per nipple.

So within the first consult, you already know what you have, what can be done to remove it, how much its going to cost and how long you are going to be down. I did my surgery literally 3 days later.

Surgery day:

Surgery day, you had to fast overnight. I went with the sedation option, cause hell naw I want hear sucking and machine beeping for 30 - 40 mins. There is no need for a general aneasthesia from what I was told cause its a minor procedure. I'm going to list the events that occured.

- Arrive
- Change in to a gown
- Nurses take your baseline parameters
- Nurses take your "before" pictures
- Dr arrives
- Starts Dr draws "Nip & Tuck" lines
- Get shepard onto the operation table that's all nice and toasty
- Anaesthetists plugs in an IV
- Starts feeding you this white magical fluid
- Off to lalaland you go

My memory here is abit fuzzy, cause of that magical white fluid that Michael Jackson loved to death (no pun intended), but I can recall the important stuff. You wake up without pain cause they have local anaesthesia at the incision site. They will monitor you for a few hours until you are mentally sound and coherent, then they will discharge you. Before discharge, they will change the dressing of the incision site, take the first "after" picture, make you wear a tight corset, then send you off. In total, I was at the clinic for about 3 to 4 hours, albeit abit woozy (my fiance picked me up)

I started feeling pain a few hours later but it's bearable cause they give you pain meds to pop every 6 hours. I was generally foggy for the rest of the day so I mainly slept. The rest of the day.

Post-op:
You'll go back the next day to change dressing and for the Dr to check the incision site for any infection etc. Then the follow ups would be weekly. My chest started bruising and having a squishy feel cause the skin is trying to reattach to the muscle, and that lasted about a month. The corset is important cause it helps your skin reattach to the muscle. So raising your hand above your head for a few weeks is tougher due to a tighter chest. I started doin stretches as soon as I don't feel pain and I checked with the Dr at every follow up if it's okay, and I was doing fine.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Every surgery has risks. Removing the gland, doing liposuction, and cutting near the nipple, may damage some nerve endings. There is a possibility of you hands, nipple, chest area getting numb cause there are major nerves that traverse the chest into the arm. I was told that sometimes, the numbness doesnt go away. So bear in mind.

I had numbness in my nipples and the outer parts of my chest for more than a month. My ring and little fingers and lower palm area (both hands) were numb for a couples of months too.

Now I'm 17 months post surgery and my chest if no longer numb but part of my nipple is numb. It can still contract to the cold but when I touch it, I don't feel anything at some parts. My hands are better but not as sensitive as they used to be but I've gotten used to it. I'd day i got back 80% sensation in them.

End of the day, my chest now looks great, my confidence is sky high and I'm happy to lose that 20% sensation in exchange for my well sculpted chest.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.