HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.3 discussion thread

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Would like to know if there will be any difference in the av quality or performance if i change to a 2.1 newer standard cable and connect to regular ARC( not EARC) .

Or is the cable performance limited by the arc specs and will operate at 1.4?

My tv is a 2020 model

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
If it works, it works? Sometimes the device will only turn on 4k/8k or HDR if every device and cable supports it. So you have to see if the tv or device tells u what mode it has activated?

If still itching to upgrade can buy Elecom brand certified cable from Challenger. Not all models are certified so pls make sure before u invest more money.

Last edited:

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
If it works, it works? Sometimes the device will only turn on 4k/8k or HDR if every device and cable supports it. So you have to see if the tv or device tells u what mode it has activated?

If still itching to upgrade can buy Elecom brand certified cable from Challenger. Not all models are certified so pls make sure before u invest more money.
challenger which branch? any on north east or north area preferably NS MRT line

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
challenger which branch? any on north east or north area preferably NS MRT line
I also stay along North South mrt line at Braddell mrt heheh. You can go to either Bishan Junction 8 or Ang Mo Kio Hub? You have to use hachi tech challenger website to confirm if the outlet has the cable u want.

ATZ brand certified hdmi cable is cheaper but based on personal experience I would feel better with Elecom brand.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Actually MoyoCase I have spare ATZ 8k certified cables if you wanna try before u buy online. Since we both live near NS mrt Line, u can pick up from me conveniently.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Ok MoyoCase got your PM and will pass to you or your relative tomorrow. I did not plan to sell my cable so you may have to return it to me after you test. Hope its not too inconvenient for u heheh.

Last edited:

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Please take note as far as I know HDMI 2.1 are not widely adopted yet.
At the moment HDMI 2.0 is used in TV, soundbar and AVR.
HDMI 2.0 cable is needed in order for 4K HDR playback as well as
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-Master Audio/DTS-X.

When buying HDMI cable please do not look at pricing.
Quote example this Elecom cable which cost less than it's premium
counterpart.

Elecom DH-HD14ER30BK 3M

347277_m.jpg

Challenger/Hachi Tech - $26.91(Member)

https://www.hachi.tech/accessories-...om-hdmi-cable-3m-dh-hd14er30bk--4953103258716

https://www.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/products/DH-HD14ER30BK.html

Take note of the cable standards as that is HDMI with Ethernet meaning HDMI 1.4.

It does support 4K but the standards and bandwidth are not HDMI 2.0.

Elecom DH-HDP14E10BK 3M

6d5943b7afbe7ad4bc7fcb4adc98d66c.jpg

Challenger/Hachi Tech - $36.81 (Member)

https://www.hachi.tech/accessories-...for-ethernet-30m-dh-hdp14e30bk--4953103495098

https://www.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/products/DH-HDP14E10BK.html

This cable is HDMI Premium certified so compatible with 4K HDR.

I know some don't feel the need to spend extra on cable if it can work than it should be OK. However there are different HDMI cable with different standards so have to take note.

So far I have not seen any HDMI 2.1 cable in market I do not want to talk about it.

Rule of thumb, more expensive HDMI doesn't mean it is better.
There are other more premium brands HDMI like Audioquest, Monster and etc. but don't waste money on such cable.

Like LiLAsN mentioned, beside Elecom, there is Monoprice, Amazon basic are good alternate brands. My AVR is using Monoprice subwoofer cable, very study and well build cable.

Best place to get cables like HDMI, speaker cables and etc.
Amazon would be better than Taobao and etc.
Since Challenger now have E-store, you can purchase through it.

Take note using less reputable brands HDMI or OEM ones, you may face several issue:

- Flickering
- Occasion Green screen/No image
- Occasion Picture/audio drop in/out

Which means the cable is not of good quality and you have to change it.

i have a question. my 4k TV (2020 model) mostly streaming content from youtube , prime video netflix to TV ( connected to LAn on router), Currently i use a monster cable from the year 2012 for the soundbar ( which can do DTS, Dolby digital) i not sure what HDMI version that monster cable is .

if i get one of this monoprice or elecom 8k/ 2.1 cable. will i see any improvement in the sound?currently there are no problems with the cable dropping sound or whatever.

There is no earc on the TV and soundbar. If i get this monoporice or elecom 2.1 /8K watver cable do i see an improvement in the sound quality? ( Note: my tv only can output uncompressed 2Ch stereo, not 5.1) . Internally tv can decode DD, DTS DD+ and atmos . Sound bar only DD and DTS

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have a question. my 4k TV (2020 model) mostly streaming content from youtube , prime video netflix to TV ( connected to LAn on router), Currently i use a monster cable from the year 2012 for the soundbar ( which can do DTS, Dolby digital) i not sure what HDMI version that monster cable is .

if i get one of this monoprice or elecom 8k/ 2.1 cable. will i see any improvement in the sound?currently there are no problems with the cable dropping sound or whatever.

There is no earc on the TV and soundbar. If i get this monoporice or elecom 2.1 /8K watver cable do i see an improvement in the sound quality? ( Note: my tv only can output uncompressed 2Ch stereo, not 5.1) . Internally tv can decode DD, DTS DD+ and atmos . Sound bar only DD and DTS

Just get this cable will do, improvement wise better cable better signal but
it will improve picture sound unlikely.
Which TV are you using? Xiao Mi?

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score

Just get this cable will do, improvement wise better cable better signal but
it will improve picture sound unlikely.
Which TV are you using? Xiao Mi?
I understand picture may not improve as the tv getting picture and sound from the router through Ethernet ( 1gbps internet speed) . But output sound only to soundboard will it improve ?. soundbar and tv both can do audio bitstream/bypass and both also 2020 model

Tv is Philips 2020 model 8215
Set top box is singtel 1080P old model set top box from 2015 ( only will use it when the channels open up during public holidays)

Currently only 4 devices connected to TV -, AC Ryan USB tv tuner , Router,
the soundbar and the set top box
both using HDMI. If i plan to get 4k set top box will getting this elecom be better?

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I understand picture may not improve as the tv getting picture and sound from the router through Ethernet ( 1gbps internet speed) . But output sound only to soundboard will it improve ?. soundbar and tv both can do audio bitstream/bypass and both also 2020 model

Set top box is singtel 1080P old model set top box from 2015 ( only will use it when the channels open up during public holidays)

both using HDMI. If i plan to get 4k set top box will getting this elecom be better?

First thing first, cables only transmit the cable so do not misunderstand that getting a good
cable means superior video and sound.
Issue here I see is your content you play which are mainly from USB TV tuner or online services.

One saying "Trash in, trash out." which mean even if you have a high end TV, good HDMI cable
but mainly play TV tuner, YouTube and "Downloaded" movies the TV won't shine.
Do you have Netflix subscription or paid video services that have good contents with support 4K
and Dolby surround?

If you have good quality movies/videos like Netlix the TV setup will shine.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
I ask him to try my spare atz 8k ultra certified hdmi 2.1 cable, but I think he prefer expert give him reassurance, maybe more convenient also heheh.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score

I do have Amazon prime video and i can verify that it's outputting surround sound (stereo indicator does not light up in soundbar) . through the tv decoding it and output the pcm.The current cable works fine when I choose the output compressed audio in tv menu.

But when I choose bitstream/ passthrough Amazon prime video app gives no sounds. But other apps like YouTube work fine over bitstream/ passthrough. Even set top box can passthrough E-Ac3 fine

Could it a problem with the prime video app or issit the app is detecting the cable type and not allowing passthrough? ( read on a forum somewhere that amazon prime video app does that and that it mainly works best with fire stick) . Cold it be the cable is too old for the app to output passthrough?

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Ok an update on the atz ultra certified hdmi cable. Previously I reported audio stuttering when watching Disney plus on my lg tv via my avr. I thought it was the cables fault. Now after I factory reset the tv and updated all apps, no more issue. Yay! Sound quality is superb, Picture quality for ps4 also seems perfect. So I guess I can safely recommend the atz ultra certified cable especially for their price. Heheh.

Last edited:

spectral

Master Member
Reaction score
The brand got good reputation. Reviews seems good. Price also low. So dunno why u ask if its worth it...

I’m using this for all my oled tvs and ps5s and PCs. Works very well IMO. Actually when connecting to sound bar/audio setup; really need hdmi 2.1?

thanks, it was cheap so not sure if it will be good.
I do use ugreen charging cables and find the packaging and quality not bad for its price just not sure about their hdmi.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There are at least 21 features in the HDMI 2.1 specifications.
XhU9uoAFNvHRirr5knbcgi-970-80.jpg.webp

Explained in this video, any TV that support one of the 21 HDMI 2.1 feature may declare it to support HDMI 2.1.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Be vigilant if you are planning to buy a TV, monitor or media player in 2022. The HDMI organization now lets manufacturers advertise HDMI 2.1 compatibility even if no HDMI 2.1 features are supported.

HDMI 2.1 replaces HDMI 2.0​

FlatpanelsHD has repeatedly warned about 4K TVs with optional HDMI 2.1 features like eARC or ALLM being sold as HDMI 2.1 TVs. Features like ALLM are backwards compatible with HDMI 2.0 chipsets and in such cases you are not getting HDMI 2.1 bandwidth (for 4K120 or 8K60).

There is a new development and unfortunately it is not good news. The HDMI organization has confirmed to TFTCentral that manufacturers can now claim HDMI 2.1 support even if not a single HDMI 2.1 feature is supported. That is because "HDMI 2.0 no longer exists".

Here is the HDMI Licensing Administrator's answer to TFTCentral:

1. HDMI 2.0 no longer exists, and devices should not claim compliance to v2.0 as it is not referenced any more
2. The features of HDMI 2.0 are now a sub-set of 2.1
3. All the new capabilities and features associated with HDMI 2.1 are optional (this includes FRL, the higher bandwidths, VRR, ALLM and everything else)
4. If a device claims compliance to 2.1 then they need to also state which features the device supports so there is “no confusion”

In fact, Xiaomi already advertises HDMI 2.1 support for one of its new LCD monitors that supports no HDMI 2.1 features. In the past, it would have been labeled as a regular HDMI 2.0 monitor because it supports only HDMI 2.0 bandwidth (over TMDS). This case prompted TFTCentral to contact the HDMI organization.

Manufacturers of TVs, monitors, media player, game consoles and other devices are still required to list the specific HDMI 2.1 features supported, but if there are none what is there to specify exactly? The spec sheet will simply read "HDMI 2.1", which will surely confuse a lot of buyers.

- "Devices can no longer be certified for 2.0," HDMI.org spokesperson Douglas Wright wrote in a follow-up statement to The Verge. "We are all dependent on manufacturers and resellers correctly stating which features their devices support."

If you want to know which TV models actually come with HDMI 2.1 ports (HDMI 2.1's FRL bandwidth) and HDMI 2.1 features check FlatpanelsHD's TV Database or our list of 4K and 8K TVs with HDMI 2.1.

HDMI 2.1

The video below also explains that

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.