HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankoo

Reaction score
quick check: Can same household (HDB) have both antenna signal and signal from Starhub??

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
quick check: Can same household (HDB) have both antenna signal and signal from Starhub??
Yes, for example see post #320 in this thread, though the post is puzzling;

No, for example see post #167, also in this thread.

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
ok, I tried the call hdb and say channel u can't receive method, today the guy came, explained a lot of stuff, end up same story - hdb's antenna is old and cannot support HD signal

when I told him channel 23 cannot receive, he told me for rooftop antenna, it's channel 9 for channel U. he also said some buildings were able to receive channel 38 was because the rooftop antenna happen to pick it up, but it is not the actual signal. he even showed me the signals, it's strong for channel 9, 8 and 5.

he also said hdb is phasing out the rooftop antenna in 1-2 years and will not upgrade.

he recommends me to wait till next year when mediacorp come out dvb-t2, buy the set top box.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok, I tried the call hdb and say channel u can't receive method, today the guy came, explained a lot of stuff, end up same story - hdb's antenna is old and cannot support HD signal

when I told him channel 23 cannot receive, he told me for rooftop antenna, it's channel 9 for channel U. he also said some buildings were able to receive channel 38 was because the rooftop antenna happen to pick it up, but it is not the actual signal. he even showed me the signals, it's strong for channel 9, 8 and 5.

he also said hdb is phasing out the rooftop antenna in 1-2 years and will not upgrade.

he recommends me to wait till next year when mediacorp come out dvb-t2, buy the set top box.

Stop paying them until dvbt-2 is out. Not sure if this is acceptable to them?

sunsetbay

Reaction score

Ch U is 527.25Mhz, Ch 28 via antenna & Ch 23 via Cable~

ask him dun smoke leh~ :s22:

MediaCorp Channel U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
... today the guy came, explained a lot of stuff, end up same story - hdb's antenna is old and cannot support HD signal

So now you are receiving U through chan9 with good signal right? This can easily be confirmed by manually tuning your tv set.

In some very old matv UHF may not be supported. To save upgrading cost it is common practice to convert a UHF channel to an unoccupied VHF channel, which is chan9 as clarified by hdb officer in your case.

For such cases with 8, 9, and 10(TV2) signals in the system, the 3 signals must be properly balanced to avoid adjacent channel interference. Hopefuly it doesn't happen in your case.

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Ch U is 527.25Mhz, Ch 28 via antenna & Ch 23 via Cable~

ask him dun smoke leh~ :s22:

MediaCorp Channel U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
no leh... when he told me its on channel 9, i tune it on spot and can receive channel U which is clear.
So now you are receiving U through chan9 with good signal right? This can easily be confirmed by manually tuning your tv set.

In some very old matv UHF may not be supported. To save upgrading cost it is common practice to convert a UHF channel to an unoccupied VHF channel, which is chan9 as clarified by hdb officer in your case.

For such cases with 8, 9, and 10(TV2) signals in the system, the 3 signals must be properly balanced to avoid adjacent channel interference. Hopefuly it doesn't happen in your case.

yup, chan U through chan 9 and clear.

doesnt matter, i'm using SCV point for chan U. have to switch between SCV point and indoor antenna for hdtv

sunsetbay

Reaction score
no leh... when he told me its on channel 9, i tune it on spot and can receive channel U which is clear.

yup, chan U through chan 9 and clear.

doesnt matter, i'm using SCV point for chan U. have to switch between SCV point and indoor antenna for hdtv

what's the frequency of your Ch 9~? what abt CNA~? dun tell me urs is not Ch32, 559.25Mhz~

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually, eventually if it is DVB-2 .... Mediacorp may still be broadcasting OTA (Over The Air).

I mean ... I really don't know how are they going to broadcast the signal from 2014 onwards.

I would guess that they will just deliver it to household via the current SCV network.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually, eventually if it is DVB-2 .... Mediacorp may still be broadcasting OTA (Over The Air).

I mean ... I really don't know how are they going to broadcast the signal from 2014 onwards.

I would guess that they will just deliver it to household via the current SCV network.

They will be broadcasting DVB-T2 over the air lor, not via the SCV network.

MediaCorp is going fully digital

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, does that mean that the old antenna point which we have will be able to receive the signal?

Yes but your mileage may vary. HDB may not be maintaining the antenna any more. :(

It's quite nasty that they are all in this together, forcing households to subscribe to pay-tv. :(

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wrongly bought a 24" HD Ready TV, with no digital tuner. Heard getting a setup box will do the trick, but dunno where I can buy it... Asked around SIM LIM nobody could give me a definite answer...

Can anyone advise? Or i really wasted $488 on the TV for nothing?

And also another query... I know SCV subscribers cannot access Malaysian RTM TV 2 and TV 3 channels due to legal reasons, so my query is, when we go fully digital, does it mean no more RTM channels? Or we just have to switch back to analog frequency in order to watch them?

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I wrongly bought a 24" HD Ready TV, with no digital tuner. Heard getting a setup box will do the trick, but dunno where I can buy it... Asked around SIM LIM nobody could give me a definite answer...

Can anyone advise? Or i really wasted $488 on the TV for nothing?

And also another query... I know SCV subscribers cannot access Malaysian RTM TV 2 and TV 3 channels due to legal reasons, so my query is, when we go fully digital, does it mean no more RTM channels? Or we just have to switch back to analog frequency in order to watch them?
i advice u not to buy the set top box now. wait till next year, its just a few months time, when dvb-t2 release, then you buy. if not its just a waste of money to buy dvb-t1 set top box now and next year it will not be in use

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i advice u not to buy the set top box now. wait till next year, its just a few months time, when dvb-t2 release, then you buy. if not its just a waste of money to buy dvb-t1 set top box now and next year it will not be in use

Thanks for answering~

but the box is gonna be legal right? Not one of those SCV signal decryptors. The thing is, where can I buy such boxes when they are available?

Went to Sim Lim yet nobody there knows about such a box.

And anyone knows the answer to the RTM query?

TrueB1ue

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so now, if I want to see digital or analogue still the same SCV point?
I got digital tuner on my tv but nothing come out when I tune it....but analogue ok leh.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering~

but the box is gonna be legal right? Not one of those SCV signal decryptors. The thing is, where can I buy such boxes when they are available?

Free to air and if compatible receiver/tuner o cos legal :s13: Once firmed up i am sure DVB-T2 related hardware would pop up and ebay for one is potentially a good source if local retailers play punk overcharge! RTM 2/3 best is DIY antenna loh

Last edited:

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering~

there is no legal or illegal dvb t set top box. the signal is not encrypted and it is free to watch tv. u try asking for dvb t set top box..

as for RTM, u try buying an antenna to watch

Soul77

Reaction score
For those who have creative hands, you might want to DIY your own antenna:

Build Your Own DTV Antenna

I build one using those $1 metal hanger, $2 metal wire, some bolt & nut, cardboard (I use 2 layer so it's thick enough), and balun transformer salvaged from old rabbit ear antenna.

It works much better than the $40 daiyo powered antenna. Immediately I can receive good HD5 from my room (the daiyo antenna can't get stable signal for HD5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.