HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
The digital tv programs (HD5, dig5, dig8 plus digCNA) are transmitted through UHF chan 38. Yes, all four squeezed into one channel. This was the channel used for City and Sports chans many years ago (can any one remember?)

Hmm, doubt they are all squeezed into UHF 38...

According to these links at the right-hand side under "Terrestrial" section:
MediaCorp HD5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Channel NewsAsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only HD5 is UHF 38, while the rest are UHF 29 "multiplex carrying Mediacorp channels digitally".

Soul77

Reaction score
So you think I should just go with a standard antenna first before buying a better one?

Get a good powered antenna.
I'm using this EU673A and able to receive All the digital channels even though my room window is blocked by another building.
Page2 - Page 2

Some local neighborhood electric shop sell it (abt $38)

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Hmm, doubt they are all squeezed into UHF 38...

According to these links at the right-hand side under "Terrestrial" section:
MediaCorp HD5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel 5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MediaCorp Channel U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Channel NewsAsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only HD5 is UHF 38, while the rest are UHF 29 "multiplex carrying Mediacorp channels digitally".

you are right~ digital 5, 8 & CNA are on 538 MHz while HD5 is on 610MHz~ :s22:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@sunsetbay & kun1he2

Thanks. You are right. Finally found the official IDA document, in page 4 of >> http://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files...es_and_Regulation_Level2/WST/WhiteSpaceTP.pdf

a list of current TV Band Licensed Users. This will dispel any remaining doubts. The part on DAB broadcast may already be out of date though.

There may be other interesting/useful information in the document.

Edit: The IDA document has moved >> http://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/PCDG/Licensees/SpectrumMgmt/SpectrumNumMgmt/WhiteSpaceTP.pdf

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Get a good powered antenna.
I'm using this EU673A and able to receive All the digital channels even though my room window is blocked by another building.
Page2 - Page 2

Some local neighborhood electric shop sell it (abt $38)
Or

If you take this as an opportunity to experiment/learn new things, then buy a simple one first from a shop (eg NTUC, Homefix, Chanllenger) which has a return policy. If you are on high floors there is a better chance of success. If it doesn't work out then pay the difference to change to a better one.

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
jtdcjtdc - your condo no TV point?

sadly none. that's why i bought that rabbit V antenna. i tried positioning the antenna to my window so it has view of sky, i got one additional channel looks like TV7 of malaysia, but with same very poor/fuzzy unusable display. i don't get any singapore channel. i just use auto tuning (analog + digital). any idea why?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
sadly none. that's why i bought that rabbit V antenna. i tried positioning the antenna to my window so it has view of sky, i got one additional channel looks like TV7 of malaysia, but with same very poor/fuzzy unusable display. i don't get any singapore channel. i just use auto tuning (analog + digital). any idea why?
Reason is that all the signals blocked by surrounding high rise buildings. Not too sure whether yours is the old apartment type where individual units have to fix their antennae at the roof top or somewhere. Or do you have the scv point?

KerazzydaN

Reaction score
hey there, sorry if this isn't the right place to post cause i don't know where to.

on thursday my singtel fibre broadband totally went dead as it shows no service (red led). because of that, i can't use the house phone, miotv and the internet. called them up and their technician came and check the opennet port and told me there's high signal loss or something. but everything is fixed now.

before that, i used to get tv3, okto, cna, vasantham, indon channels + digital channels such as hd5 on both tv in my room and the living room. but now, there's totally no signal at all. can anyone tell me what's wrong or what should i do or who to call up ?

thanks for the help and sorry if i posted at the wrong thread.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@KerazzydaN

Need to tell us you are in HDB, pte condo or landed property?

Where you get the tv signals from?

KerazzydaN

Reaction score
@mrsun18

hey thanks for the reply.

hdb flat. got the signal from the normal wall socket. just out of the blue the signal disappear on the day my fibre broadband got no service.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
ok. The situation is clearer now. It could be mere coincidence.

You can call HDB branch office to let them know that you have no tv reception and they will settle it for you.

On the other hand, if you flat is in the newer category where a utility box with patch panels is provided for connections of fibre, tv and phone cables, the ST people could have, but unlikely, mess up the connections.

Whichever way it is, the Branch Office will resolve for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

KerazzydaN

Reaction score
@mrsun18

hey thanks for the help. i already called hdb branch and they send down someone and adjust some stuff at the rooftop antenna. everything is fixed now. thanks !

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@mrsun18

hey thanks for the help. i already called hdb branch and they send down someone and adjust some stuff at the rooftop antenna. everything is fixed now. thanks !
Wah, so fast. I suppose many others also called. Glad to be of help.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can any HDTV with LAN or USB be converted into a smart TV via a LAN/USB wifi adapter ?

Or is there additional hardware requirement in the TV ?

arsene

Reaction score
Can any HDTV with LAN or USB be converted into a smart TV via a LAN/USB wifi adapter ?

Or is there additional hardware requirement in the TV ?

Technically yes if the TV supports flash. However your viewing experience may differ depending on the processor speed of the TV. The best solution is still to link it to Android TV or PC for a better experience or external box.

jayz_sg

Reaction score
HDTV Digital Reception

Hi,

I have a Samsung Series 5 TV that has an in-built TV Tuner. I recently bought a Soundtech TVA-600 antenna to get digital signal. I am only able to receive HD5, Channel 5 Digital, Channel 8 Digital and Channel Newsasia Digital. How can I receive the other channels like Channel U, Suria, Vasantham etc?

Also I realized that if I really hang the antenna at the tip of the window frame, I can get extra 15 channels, but these channels cannot be viewed. It says channel scrambled.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

u0206397

Reaction score
SCV TV point, HDB antenna and FTA channels

Currently, my TV is plugged to the SCV TV point via an aerial coaxial cable with RF connector. But I'm not subscribed to any StarHub TV or SingTel mioTV. So can only receive those free-to-air (FTA) MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA).

In this case, the signals for the MediaCorp's channels (5, 8, U, CNA) are coming from StarHub or the HDB antenna? The signals are analog and of standard definition (SD) only I suppose?

Channel 8, U and Okto are OK with clear image. However, for Channel 5 and CNA, my TV has noticeable horizontal bandings: alternate thick lines 1 or 2 inches thick of different brightness. A repeated pattern of a brighter line, followed by another darker line stripe. Anyone experiencing this? Tried playing with the TV settings but nothing helped. Poor reception, weak signal, caused by coaxial splitter or TV problem?

Years ago in the 90s, I thought HDB forced everyone to migrate to SCV TV point, and the antennas were deactivated or no longer usable. Is this correct?

Somehow my connection is able to receive the Malaysian RTM1 channel, but very noisy and barely watchable. But some people reported that the SCV TV point should not be able to receive RTM1. :s11:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.