HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mrsun18 said:
I was referring to lack of announcement when ch29 was back on air. Or did I have the wrong impression that MediaCorp stopped transmission on ch29 from 14 Mar and then restart?

It turns out that I was wrong... the channels on 538Mhz are not showing black, they are still broadcasting the normal content w0ith the scroller message on it when I checked again yesterday.

Anyway I dun really use the DVB-T to watch non-HD channels.... only watch and record HD5. For the other non-HD channels I use the StarHub antenna point.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
It turns out that I was wrong... the channels on 538Mhz are not showing black, they are still broadcasting the normal content w0ith the scroller message on it when I checked again yesterday.
Thanks for the clarification.

mickeyheng

Reaction score
Just bought a Panasonic th-l39em5s today . It has a media player (USB playback) function . Does it mean I can download videos files onto a thumb drive and play it on the tv . Sorry as I today forget to ask the salesman about it

tan1688

Reaction score
Just a comment if you use Roof top Aerial Antenna for reception,
when lightning strikes, tv may go kaput and a few thousand dollars
gone.

Indoor antenna is better.

Reaction score
In my opinion, gahmen shouldn't shirk away from their responsibility in providing reliable rooftop antenna especially when the analog-to-digital TV transition is upcoming.
agreed, since we pay the conservancy charges. otherwise, what is the point in paying?

also, hdb block have lightning conductor. the lightning will strike the conductor instead of hitting the rooftop antenna. if u have ever heard of ppl's tv in hdb block being destroyed by lightning strike, please post me a link...

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a comment if you use Roof top Aerial Antenna for reception,
when lightning strikes, tv may go kaput and a few thousand dollars
gone.

Yes, if lightning strikes on the antennae.Those in my condo are installed at the highest point on the roof top. My condo is located in the central catchment area which is the most lighning prone area in Singapore. In my 28 years here, the tv antennae had never been struck and my tv had never been affected by any lightning strike.

The lightning seems to prefer somewhere else other than the tv and telcos' antennae. I happened to take some pics recently as shown in the links below:

http://s10.postimg.org/chzvmza8n/P1000952_1.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/42duc3vsf/P1000954_1.jpg

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
agreed, since we pay the conservancy charges. otherwise, what is the point in paying?

also, hdb block have lightning conductor. the lightning will strike the conductor instead of hitting the rooftop antenna. if u have ever heard of ppl's tv in hdb block being destroyed by lightning strike, please post me a link...

Too bad they have already done so. From a certain time a few decades ago, BTO flats now come without rooftop antenna. So there are quite a lot of blocks which do not have rooftop antenna.

They want to force people to tune to signals only from the StarHub antenna point (and to subscribe to StarHub cable programmes) and dun want people to tune to other countries' TV channels. :(

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
... since we pay the conservancy charges. otherwise, what is the point in paying?
You must know what the conservancy charges pay for. In the 60s when hdb started installing matv, residents pay $5 to use the service. You need not pay if you don't use it. The matv service charge was abolised in 70/80's.
... hdb block have lightning conductor. the lightning will strike the conductor instead of hitting the rooftop antenna. if u have ever heard of ppl's tv in hdb block being destroyed by lightning strike, please post me a link...
It is true that lightning conductor is install to attract lightning to it, but the truth is that it may strike anywhere it likes. TV anntennae are positioned higher than lightning conductor. The mast works also like a lightning arrestor. While I said that my tv antennae has never been struck in 28 years, it doesn't mean that lightning will never strike tv antennae. There are more than 10,000 hdb blocks. This is like buying big sweep. If I buy 1 ticket, the chance of touching first price is very slim. But if I buy 10,000 tickets, my chance will improve a lot. Ask any antennae installer and they will either smile or laugh and say...oh, plenty. Matv system has built in lightning protection. If lightning ever strike, the matv may be destroyed while tv sets down the line may be spared. Again, you can ask the tv repair man for this.

tan1688

Reaction score
i would like to comment surge arrestors are generally not guaranteed
it would be able to protect equipments against lightning strike, here's
why

in short gdt - gas discharge tubes on surge arrestors react far too
slowly to conduct a typical voltage strike of 100million volts through
the ground point.

the inert gas in gdt needs to heat up before it will conduct, partial
conduction in the 400-500V range full conduction at 600-700V
and higher, the tv antenna point would see at least 400-500V,
tuner board kaput.

even on expensive telecom base station, with mixture of gdt, mov,
transzorb, polyswitches those are tested to protect within a range
only, higher than that also kaput.

singapore lightning capital ~186per year

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
i would like to comment surge arrestors are generally not guaranteed
it would not be able to protect equipments against lightning strike, here's
why

in short gdt - gas discharge tubes on surge arrestors react far too
slowly to conduct a typical voltage strike of 100million volts through
the ground point.

the inert gas in gdt needs to heat up before it will conduct, partial
conduction in the 400-500V range full conduction at 600-700V
and higher, the tv antenna point would see at least 400-500V,
tuner board kaput.

even on expensive telecom base station, with mixture of gdt, mov,
transzorb, polyswitches those are tested to protect within a range
only, higher than that also kaput.

singapore lightning capital ~186per year
Don't mind if I do a little editing for your - as shown in red:)

There is a thread which I discovered recently. You may wish to go there to contribute your knowledge:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-knowledge-base-33/surge-protector-2827153.html

Last edited:

PumpedUp

Reaction score
Noob Question regarding HD channels

Hi,

i just upgraded to a new tv: UA32EH4003M 32" Series 4 LED - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

bought it so i can watch hd channels on mio sports. however, i realised i still couldnt watch any hd channels. tried mio stadium (hd) and channel 5 (hd).. both will hang after watching for awhile.

is there anything i havent done in order to watch hd channels on my tv?

thanks in advance! :s12:

petetherock

Reaction score
Hi,

i just upgraded to a new tv: UA32EH4003M 32" Series 4 LED - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG

bought it so i can watch hd channels on mio sports. however, i realised i still couldnt watch any hd channels. tried mio stadium (hd) and channel 5 (hd).. both will hang after watching for awhile.

is there anything i havent done in order to watch hd channels on my tv?

thanks in advance! :s12:
You can start by reading this thread and especially the first few posts on the equipment required and reception issues.

PumpedUp

Reaction score
You can start by reading this thread and especially the first few posts on the equipment required and reception issues.

sorry but im quite bad at this so i cant really understand most of the things u guys are discussing :o

anyway, i read that all u have to get is hd set top box from mio tv and u can receive hd channels already, no?

i tried ch5 hd on my mio box also cant leh. or my mio box is not a hd one?

Last edited:

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Just to check, how come I cannot tune to Ch38 as per the ticker annoucement? It shows no signal?

Couldn't get it to tune to ch 38 and at the stated frequency also.

the above Ch 38 is DVB-T channel, u need to connect to indoor antenna or MATV to recv all mediacorp digital channels in one frequency~ :s22:

dankoo

Reaction score
the above Ch 38 is DVB-T channel, u need to connect to indoor antenna or MATV to recv all mediacorp digital channels in one frequency~ :s22:

This is for the TV in my office. Its connected to aerial antenna. I was able to receive from Ch29 but seems that its switch off now...just blank screen with the ticker. You mean that the roof antenna will not work?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
This is for the TV in my office. Its connected to aerial antenna. I was able to receive from Ch29 but seems that its switch off now...just blank screen with the ticker. You mean that the roof antenna will not work?
seeing blank screen with the scrolling ticker means you are receiving ch29. check with your office maintenance to see what are the tv channels the matv (master antennae for tv) was designed for.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get it to tune to ch 38 and at the stated frequency also.
need to tell us what type of property you are stay/living in - landed, condo, hdb or others such as office, commercial and industrial builidng. for condo or hdb, whether taking from matv or starhub. For newer hdb with no roof top antennae, a different issue.

dankoo

Reaction score
seeing blank screen with the scrolling ticker means you are receiving ch29. check with your office maintenance to see what are the tv channels the matv (master antennae for tv) was designed for.

I believe the old Plasma do not have the DVB-T2 tuner so cannot receive Ch38?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.