HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe the old Plasma do not have the DVB-T2 tuner so cannot receive Ch38?
As sunsetbay said, chan 38 is now used for dvb - t transmission.

dvb - t2 transmission is schedule to start from the end of the year. The tv channel to be used is not revealed yet.

Last edited:

okie

Reaction score
need to tell us what type of property you are stay/living in - landed, condo, hdb or others such as office, commercial and industrial builidng. for condo or hdb, whether taking from matv or starhub. For newer hdb with no roof top antennae, a different issue.

Staying in HDB (north east area).

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Staying in HDB (north east area).
your answer not complete leh...north east area also got many types... any roof top antennae? If there are, taking tv signal from starhub socket or hdb socket?

dankoo

Reaction score
As sunsetbay said, chan 38 is now used for dvb - t transmission.

dvb - t2 transmission is schedule to start from the end of the year. The tv channel to be used is not revealed yet.

Meaning that the roof antenna not able to receive ch38?

okie

Reaction score
your answer not complete leh...north east area also got many types... any roof top antennae? If there are, taking tv signal from starhub socket or hdb socket?

Using a no brand digital antennae connected to my astone Pvr with build in digital tuner. Did a manual scan to the stated frequency but still not able to detect the ch 38.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Using a no brand digital antennae connected to my astone Pvr with build in digital tuner. Did a manual scan to the stated frequency but still not able to detect the ch 38.
maybe signal too low or tuner faulty or both.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Meaning that the roof antenna not able to receive ch38?
No straight forward yes or no answer. For those with good memory, there was a SportCity TV channel on chan38 in early 2000. And I still have my 14 years old 20" Philips CRT tv preset on this chan. HDB had catered for the chan 38 reception. For those interested to refresh their memory please read this:
MediaCorp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is confirmed by some hdb residents who posted in this forum that they have no problem receiving the hd channels.

That was the reason why I kept advising hdb residents who came to this forum regarding their hd reception to call hdb. Unfortunately, there was no update from anyone until tatsit, in post #253 in this thread, said:

I just called the service line, the person said HD channels not under them...

It is now clear that although chan38 reception was catered for, hdb is not maintaining the channel. Digital tv signal of norminal 48 db strength is sufficient for reception as compared to 60 db for analogue tv signal. This explains why some can receive the channel why others cannot.

Note: the comments are applicable only to residents who take signal from hdb matv (master antennae for tv).

Hoam Chu

Reaction score
Hi, I need help.
I am staying in Toa Payoh HDB Flat.
My TV Ch 5, 8, CNA reception is poor with jumping image, double image but the sound is ok just recently (about 2 months ago) during Fri, Sat, Sun whole day and weekday around evening/night time (other times it is ok). However, Ch U, Octo are perfectly OK. I requested Starhub to check and its technician came and checked about 2 weeks ago and informed me that the signal from Starhub is ok and there is nothing Starhub can do to the poor reception. The technician claimed that it is due to signal interference from the environment. Coincidentally, after the check was done, the same night all the channels become super clear with very good reception. However, this only lasted until this evening, the signal turned bad again for the 3 channels. Called Starhub again but this time it insisted that there is nothing wrong with the signal. It is all due to the environment. It (starhub) can't do anything.
Is there any knowledgeable person who can help on this?
Thank you.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
@Hoam Chu

a) If the poor reception only occurs during the peak viewing hours, then there may be insufficient signal. This is like when too many people are using water at the same time, the water flow will slow down. The technician may have adjusted the signal upwards without telling you. And the signal may have deteriorated again.

b) Check with you neighbours whether they have the same issue. Bear in mind that if the problem is insufficient signal, they will experience the same symptoms.

c) the rf cable that connects to the wall point may have contact problem - check the contact.

d) Similarly the cable that connects to the tv set may have contact problem.

e) Alternatively, check with a new cable to eliminate c) and d) at the same time.

f) your tv set may be faulty. Check with a good working tv to confirm.

g) check the reception with a separate hdb wall socket, if you have one.

h) If interference, as what the starhub technician said is true but unlikely in my view, then call IDA to investigate.

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Hoam Chu

a) If the poor reception only occurs during the peak viewing hours, then there may be insufficient signal. This is like when too many people are using water at the same time, the water flow will slow down. The technician may have adjusted the signal upwards without telling you. And the signal may have deteriorated again.

b) Check with you neighbours whether they have the same issue. Bear in mind that if the problem is insufficient signal, they will experience the same symptoms.

c) the rf cable that connects to the wall point may have contact problem - check the contact.

e) Alternatively, check with a new cable to eliminate c) and d) at the same time.

h) If interference, as what the starhub technician said is true but unlikely in my view, then call IDA to investigate.

mrsun18, just for the sake of information sharing, for Point (f), wouldn't the problem be present at all times if the TV is faulty?

TIA.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
mrsun18, just for the sake of information sharing, for Point (f), wouldn't the problem be present at all times if the TV is faulty?

TIA.
It could be intermittent:). My Samsung tv showed lousy pic only on cna (analogue channel) after a few minutes of viewing, soon after 1 year warranty has expired. First reaction was signal low. But my 14 year old philips 20" crt tv showed perfect reception on the same channel (using another tv point). The intermittent problem still persists.

Hoam Chu

Reaction score
@Hoam Chu

Thank you MrSun18.
b) neighbour also having the same poor image, will further check with neighbours one floor up/down.
c, d, e) done - no problem detected.
f) 2 new TVs - same poor reception.
g) another starhub wall socket - same poor reception
h) may want to explore this option.
What I suspect is the signal strength may be strong but the signal quality is poor. Since FTA channels carried by starhub are analog signal and the coaxial cable is not point to point but shared, it could be influenced by poor equipment connected on the way.

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It could be intermittent:). My Samsung tv showed lousy pic only on cna (analogue channel) after a few minutes of viewing, soon after 1 year warranty has expired. First reaction was signal low. But my 14 year old philips 20" crt tv showed perfect reception on the same channel (using another tv point). The intermittent problem still persists.

Thanks for sharing, mrsun18. :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you MrSun18.
b) neighbour also having the same poor image, will further check with neighbours one floor up/down.
c, d, e) done - no problem detected.
f) 2 new TVs - same poor reception.
g) another starhub wall socket - same poor reception
h) may want to explore this option.
What I suspect is the signal strength may be strong but the signal quality is poor. Since FTA channels carried by starhub are analog signal and the coaxial cable is not point to point but shared, it could be influenced by poor equipment connected on the way.
Thanks for the update. When you mentioned the starhub technician claimed:

due to signal interference from the environment

I knew he was likely to be shirking his responsibility. Under Singapore's strict control regimen, it is almost impossible to obtain equipment powerful enough to cause interference to tv reception, unless the interference comes from nearby countries. But then, if that is the case, the whole island will experience the same inteference. Alternatively, there is a very small chance of DIYer in your block doing some unauthorised alteration to his home cable network which injected the inteference into starhub's cable network.

Starhub's distribution network involves distribution/repeater amplifiers, splitters and line taps to adjust the final output in discrete steps to individual households. Because of long cable run, they also have equalisers to compensate for higher signal loss at the UHF end. So they need time to trouble shoot. Whatever it is, their problem is transparent to us.

If you can get more neighbours to lodge a joint complaint, the voice will be louder.

Cheers.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
MediaCorp Digital TV - Technical Guides

Changes to MediaCorp digital channels in DVB-T platform

To facilitate the eventual rollout of DVB-T2 in December 2013, there is a need to change the transmission signal in the DVB-T platform on UHF Channel 29 (538MHz). As the change will take effect from 12 March 2013, DVB-T users will need to retune their digital set-top box to UHF Channel 38 (610MHz) with immediate effect to continue watching the digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia. HD5 and the rest of the channels broadcast in analogue are not affected. MediaCorp digital channels will no longer be available in DVB-T platform once the DVB-T2 deployments are in place.

From 16 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia are transmitting on Channel 29 (538MHz) from 7pm to 11pm
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.

From 23 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia will no longer be available on Channel 29 (538MHz)
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.
:s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12:

tan1688

Reaction score

if the antenna do not have a built in amplifier (powered) you may get
one external UHF amplifier, cost about 10-15sgd. But then external
amplifiers also amplify the noises, thus is recommended to get
branded powered antennas with low noise on spec with
high amplifier gain >40dB.

Try Daiyo - PSB certified only avail at courts, best denki, mustafa.

dankoo

Reaction score
Interestingly although I could not get Ch38, a auto scan will include 29 channels...mostly those from Starhub like CNN, Fox etc... but its scrambled of course....didn't know its transmitted over the air? Thought only via cable...

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Interestingly although I could not get Ch38, a auto scan will include 29 channels...mostly those from Starhub like CNN, Fox etc... but its scrambled of course....didn't know its transmitted over the air? Thought only via cable...
Please clarify...29 channels over a bandwidth of 8MHz in chan38?

How do you know they are from starhub and not from other sources?

Your indoor antenna may be picking up starhub signal if it is placed near to starhub points or the rf cables not properly screened.

uinec

Reaction score
Good Digital Reception, But Not Analogue

Hi, sorry this may have been queries before.

I recently decided to stop Starhub TV subscription and just watch FTA channels. Connect to the HDB MATV point - get the analogues, exclude CNA and OKTO, and no HD-channels.

Connect the SCV point - get all the HD-channels, but all the analogue is BAD.
The Digital HDs channels are good - get all 3, HD5, HD8 and HD-CNA.
But all the analogues are bad.

Anyone can help or share any info?
HDB in redhill area.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry this may have been queries before.

I recently decided to stop Starhub TV subscription and just watch FTA channels. Connect to the HDB MATV point - get the analogues, exclude CNA and OKTO, and no HD-channels.

Connect the SCV point - get all the HD-channels, but all the analogue is BAD.
The Digital HDs channels are good - get all 3, HD5, HD8 and HD-CNA.
But all the analogues are bad.

Anyone can help or share any info?
HDB in redhill area.
Did you re-tune your TV set when you use HDB matv point? Starhub use chan23 for U (you did not mention this channel), chan25 for OKTO, and chan30 for CNA. When you use HDB matv point, you will find U in chan28, OKTO in chan30 and CNA in chan32. If you have re-tuned and still can't get CNA and OKTO, call HDB for assistance. Read my comments in post#307 regarding digital tv receptions too.

As for your HD5, HD8 and HD-CNA reception through SCV point, there are no HD8 and HD-CNA, there are only digital 8 and digital CNA. So I am not sure you are receiving digital 5 or HD5.

Anyway, I do not know what kind of set top box you had and whether you are still using it. You can call Starhub to tell them you are not receiving the analogue FTA channels through their point.

Are you able to tell on what tv channels are your HD5, HD8 and HD-CNA?

Edit: Do you have dbv-c tuner in your tv set?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.