HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

petetherock

Reaction score
This thread is for all discussion on using your High Definition TV (HDTV) including info and tips on:
- antenna talk
- set top box talk
- reception issues

For matters related to the new DVB T2 please refer to this thread:
Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated] - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

This thread will replace the older thread:
HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated] - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Some useful info on antennas:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/82352103-post559.html

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Taken from an older post:

1. DVBt is much much clearer than Analog transmitted tv signals no ghosting what so ever even if signal strenght is only at 22% you still get crystal clear picture unlike analog signals just as long there is signal for the TV to detect and quality dun go below 50% where picture starts to pixilate.

2. DVBt like analog is transmitted over the air and on UHF frequencies, HD5 is 610Mhz while the rest is 538Mhz.

3. Those staying in HDB and connecting through SCV point and want to receive digital 5, 8, CNA & HD5 sorry you need a digital set top box if not you just getting a normal one without digital capability. Dun know more as I dun have SuckHub or Milo TV.

4. For those that plug into the wall socket that connects to HDB rooftop antenna probably gonna be disappointed as I believe the roof top antenna isn't optimise to receive Digital TVs unless HDB decides to spend on upgrading them which I feel is a long long wait unless is new estate.

Ok for those staying at HDB and want to receive DVBt you need a powered UHF antenna that is rated to receive frequencies up to 1000Mhz / 1Ghz the higher the frequencies it is rated the better and you good to go. For those that want analog also and don't want to walk up walk down pressing that bloody A/B switch go buy a VHF/UHF mixer ~$15 at UF technology at SLS, please dun use a splitter, splitter is splitter while mixer is mixer and you get to watch both digital as well as analog Okto, U, Vasathan, Suria etc etc. How to connect very simple self explanatory once you get the mixer quite idiot proof. VHF to VHF, UHF to UHF sockets. Suria, normal 5 n 8 is VHF, Okto, U, TV3 is UHF.

For those advanturious you can build the DB4 HDTV ant seen on youtube - trust me it works I built one myself but please use RG6 75ohm coxial not older RG59 75ohm ones thats the reason I was getting massive signal lost and also throw in a signal booster for better signal strength again self explanatory once you get the thing idiot proof ~ $16 buy at SLT the electronics component shop on the right once you enter the building can't remember the shop name.

REMEMBER that it all depends on location on where you stay if your block is low and has many many other HDB that is much much higher that block you than you may not receive anything at all go KPKB to mediacock to increase signal strength.

Ok this is all I know and what I did to receive my DVBt and analog TVs.

petetherock

Reaction score

petetherock

Reaction score
HDB antennae:

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - Hd5 and mediacorp digital channels

There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those indonesian / malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.
3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.
My block is using this 3rd type antenna.

Answering to the above post, there are differences between using booster powered antena vs normal antenna. If I turn off the power, I can't receive the HD5. But if I turn on, I'm able to receive it. And I'm using PCI DTV card btw. Last time I run some application that able to detect the signal quality of the DVB-T, and a good quality booster powered antenna really make the difference.

petetherock

Reaction score
sporeftachannelssep08.gif

This will change with the new DVB T2.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Quote:

There are many different types of hdb antenna. Those old HDB blocks with unfiltered antenna will be very good for HD reception. If you can receive the indonesian channel from your hdb antenna, then you will have very good chance receiving hd5 perfectly.
2nd type will be filtered hdb antenna. Those antenna had some frequency jammer to disrupt those indonesian / malaysian free to air channel. You won't be able to receive hd5.
3rd type will be SCV installed antenna. Again, there are frequency jammers to disrupt signals. HD5 is not possible.

I remembered someone suggested the above post be removed because there was no such thing as frequency jammer.

Indeed, frequency jammer belonged to the cold war era, but filtered hdb antenna is an apt description.

I had explained why filter was necessary as shown below:

Quote:

This post is to address the question of whether filter is used in the design for the rooftop antennae, common known as Master TV Antenna (MATV).

In this discussion MATV refers to the whole system while antenna (singular) or antennae (plural) refers to the metal element assembly only.

For simplicity, consider a MATV catering just for Chan 5 and Chan 10 (TV2). The antenna for Chan 5 will be pointing towards Bukit Batok, which is where the transmitter is. For TV2, the antenna will be pointing towards JB.

The Chan 5 antenna is receiving, at the same time, Chan 10 signal. But the quality may be poor, containing a lot of ghosts. Similarly, TV2 antenna is receiving good Chan 10 signal but poor Chan 5 signal. Now if the outputs from these 2 antennae are simply fed into the amplifier without processing, the amplified output will contain poor quality signals in both Chan 5 and TV2. It is necessary to filter out weak and poor signals from antennae so that only clean and good signals are fed into the amplifier.

So, in this particular example, only Chan 5 and TV2 signals will be available through the MATV.

In the case of HDB MATV, the design cater only for local TV stations, TV1 and TV2, no signals from other transmissions will be available. If one can receive other stations, that is because of strong ambient signals resulting in good direct pick up. These don't come from the rooftop antennae.

Update: HD5 from starhub is now possible if one has a tv set or usb tuner or pci/e card with dvb - c.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update by Astrometa on their USB DVB-T2 tuners available on ebay:

oric1

Reaction score
Building one:
markasong1 wrote:

I have made one out of parts bought from Sim lim as well for 8 bucks.
Here is the proof of concept video that it works for Singapore HD5.

DIY Antenna for Watching Singapore HD5 - YouTube

Instruction to build.
Fractal Antenna for HD + Digital TV - YouTube

P.S. if you want a switch for SCV Point and HD Antenna you need this.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11600138

The walmart link is no longer valid, anybody have another link or the brand/model of this product, please? Thanks.

merc

Reaction score
Went to UF technology, they said they don't sell the antenna mixer....

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Went to UF technology, they said they don't sell the antenna mixer....
These mixers won't work
507940-0.jpg

832632-0.jpg

On the other hand, this type, or the normal starhub splitter MAY work
81mcBb1IJuL._AA1500_.jpg

IF

• There are no chan 27, 29, 31 in your normal signal feed from starhub or matv out

Do note use of this splitter/combiner (mixer) will introduce a loss of at least 4dB. If the indoor antenna is already not receiving good signal, the chance of success is also poor.

AND if you are already receiving chan38 DVB-T broadcast without indoor antenna, the chan 38 signals from the two sources may interfere with each other.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Where To Get A/B Antenna Switch

Finally found them with the help of my best friend...Google "A/B Antenna Switch"
$T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQjcBR-I82R,dQ~~60_57.JPG

It has an operating frequency of 5 ~ 1000MHz which is suitable. But the insertion loss is unknown. If adaptor such as F to IEC is needed, there will be more losses.

Here is the url:
Antenna Cable Switch | eBay

For those who need help with the wiring connection:
A/B Switch Setup

Disclaimer: I have not used the products listed. Try at you own risk.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Regarding digital tv, if in future still connected to the analogue antenna, that means I can't watch free to air tv?

petetherock

Reaction score
Regarding digital tv, if in future still connected to the analogue antenna, that means I can't watch free to air tv?
There will be no more analogue TV, see the first post of the DTV thread for the timeline.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
A little confused. The info here is a lot.

So I need a tuner + dvb antenna?

Ty. I will continue read up when free.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Cross post here for ease of reference:
if signal good, even cheapo less than $5 antenna oso will work
have tried such cheapo antenna with T2 b4, works fine
but the 1m long cable might be too short for some ppl, getting extension cable increase the cost, might as well get the last antenna below

antenna3__zpscb0f1f61.jpg~original

antenna4_zps52b7c8f0.jpg~original

antenna52_zps1b77e364.jpg~original

still prefer the below antenna, comes with 6m long cable
got a few brands, but all same thing
price range from $8 to $12.90
soundtech brand most exp($15 to <$20) but comes with metal plates to clip on pole or windows grills
just get the cheapest one and use cable tie or wat lor
01_zps56154e79.jpg~original

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.