HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

tan1688

Reaction score
Just to check if the below antenna from china can be use in SPORE.

Link:¾*µäANT-407C ³µÔصçÊÓ DTMB CMMB DVB-TµØÃæ¸ßÇåµçÊÓÌìÏß-ÌÔ±¦Íø

I just given a similar omnidirectional antenna above to a bro yesterday for dvbt2 receiver testing, this type has got no directions might be better in a car since it is moving in all directions.

Below is a directional antenna, it is better can stick on back of car window or back of tv, or on window at home. I sell this on my thread
sku_205125_1.jpg

Last edited:

xjchew

Reaction score
Was looking thru GH antennas and fractal antennas.. Wondering if these two will be able to receive indo channel from a 5th floor hdb with them placed indoors. Anyone built one of these antennas?

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Was looking thru GH antennas and fractal antennas.. Wondering if these two will be able to receive indo channel from a 5th floor hdb with them placed indoors. Anyone built one of these antennas?

Shouldn't be a problem. Why not you try it out? Ultimately, location is one of the bigger factor

xjchew

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem. Why not you try it out? Ultimately, location is one of the bigger factor

Yeah.. probably going to get a balun, copper wire (anyone knows where to get 10AWG ones?) and some bolts to make a fractal antenna to test.

hwsinn

Reaction score
I need to get an antenna and hopefully its a passive antenna (not powered).

I read the mohu leaf 30 antenna is quite a good choice. however i find the whole thing too big and i was considering the metro but i would like to check with the bros here how this will fare locally?

I am living on mid high level and have slightly above average recep using normal V-antenna.

this is the Mohu metro:
Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Metro HDTV Antenna: Electronics

yodajedi01

Reaction score
I got the MOHU LEAF 30 on my Dracon stb.
I'm able to receive HDTV from where I stay (Houang ave4) which will not be ready till 2015/2016
At first. I'm unable to receive any signal in my room, but if I stick it out of the windows,
WOW .... HD Channels

I need to get an antenna and hopefully its a passive antenna (not powered).

I read the mohu leaf 30 antenna is quite a good choice. however i find the whole thing too big and i was considering the metro but i would like to check with the bros here how this will fare locally?

I am living on mid high level and have slightly above average recep using normal V-antenna.

this is the Mohu metro:
Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Metro HDTV Antenna: Electronics

LxIxVxE

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
can get this paper thin antenna locally for S$25 with 1 yr warranty

seller claims it is comparable to mohu leaf antenna

real life performance unknown cos didn't buy

Antenna ANT-T19
=============
White in colour (206 x 227 x 0.7mm)
Excellent reception for HD Digital TV signals
Ultra-thin and lightweight design
High tech design based on military application
High gain and low noise in-line amplifier

_21_zps538e6098.jpg~original

_20_zps7ce46e72.jpg~original

hosm

Reaction score
Bought the ANT-T19 antenna from Kaki Bukit.
This is an " active " antenna as it come with an amplifier housed in a small little box ( size of a disposable lighter ) that is powered via a supplied usb cable.

Installation is straight forward, however positioning of the antenna is needs for max signal strength. In my case, I can get reasonably good quality signal strength 1m away from the windows. This is compared with my passive antenna which I need to dangle at the window.

The attached antenna cable is rather short ( about 1.5m or so ) you may need to extend the cable run for better placement of the antenna.

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
Really dunno wats MDA doing, having every flat to hang antennas out their windows???
Surprisingly you guys seems to be having a lot of fun....

Streetwise

Reaction score
Really dunno wats MDA doing, having every flat to hang antennas out their windows???
Surprisingly you guys seems to be having a lot of fun....

U do know tat DVBT2 yet to rolll out for all of S'pore? Bros here eager to try out....so they are willing to experiment :D

sigur_ros

Reaction score
if i understand this right, once mda rolls out coverage island wide, the indoor antennas can remain indoors, i.e. no sticking out of windows and unsightly cables?

In other words, this is temporary.

HWZ1973

Master Member
Reaction score
I really find this kind of implementation is so wrong...
Any other examples overseas?? Pls share...

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if i understand this right, once mda rolls out coverage island wide, the indoor antennas can remain indoors, i.e. no sticking out of windows and unsightly cables?

In other words, this is temporary.

I'm not sure if that will really work for all households. Some households might still need to locate the antennas close to the window and that might be a problem for wives who are insistent on a tidy home arrangement.

hwsinn

Reaction score
Bought the ANT-T19 antenna from Kaki Bukit.
This is an " active " antenna as it come with an amplifier housed in a small little box ( size of a disposable lighter ) that is powered via a supplied usb cable.

Installation is straight forward, however positioning of the antenna is needs for max signal strength. In my case, I can get reasonably good quality signal strength 1m away from the windows. This is compared with my passive antenna which I need to dangle at the window.

The attached antenna cable is rather short ( about 1.5m or so ) you may need to extend the cable run for better placement of the antenna.

So is it a must to use power if u want to operate the antenna? Is it able to operate passively?

hosm

Reaction score
So is it a must to use power if u want to operate the antenna? Is it able to operate passively?

I did a test without power, the signal strength drops quite a fair bit to about 60% , which cause the picture to break up.

Unless you are staying in area of good reception I would recommend that its better to run active.
Just plug the usb plug to your TV as it will turn on and off the power to your antenna as your TV set.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.