Head/earphones Recommendations Thread

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
I find the bass too heavy and lacks treble brightness. This was my impression:

This model has been replaced by ATH-CKS50TW which is just launched in Singapore this month for S$218.

- newly developed large-diameter drivers (9 mm HD TWS drivers with deep bass) deliver deep, powerful bass while ensuring a comfortable fit.
- ducts on the back of the driver control airflow to ensure a detailed acoustic space
- Feed-forward active noise cancellation and Hear-through function supported
- Supports low-latency mode enabled via app
- Supports Sony 360 Reality Audio
- IPX4 water protection
- Sidetone supported during voice calls
- Multipoint pairing supported
- supports aptX Adaptive Audio changes the bit rate of audio according to the radio wave environment and music data transfer status
- EQ presets supported
- Volume step adjustment supported (16-step, 32-step, 64-step)
- Supports Android Fast-Pair
- Supports mono earbud use
tks 4 the details & may i ask which website did u find these ? so glad to learn tt it is newly-launched
but wht is "mono earbud use" ? means single usage of just 1earpc

regd this "EQ presets supported" i just couldnt get my firmwre installed

musicsg_com

Reaction score
tks 4 the details & may i ask which website did u find these ? so glad to learn tt it is newly-launched
but wht is "mono earbud use" ? means single usage of just 1earpc

regd this "EQ presets supported" i just couldnt get my firmwre installed
Hi,
The product page of the new ATH-CKS50TW is here with all the features described: https://sea.audio-technica.com/ath-cks50tw-solid-bass-true-wireless-headphones

"Mono earbud" means you can use any single earbud for music listening and make calls. There is no master-slave setting.

The CKS5TW you bought is an older model. I forgot whether EQ is supported, but you can use the smartphone app to explore to see if you can apply.

dreamaurora

Reaction score
any1 has this too!? got it @$205.2

ATH-CKS5TW​

seeemed old model but gotten this 4 its bass but just ok as i m a fan4 Audio Technica Wired 1s....15hr + 30=45

Audio-Technica ATH-CKS5TW vs Sennheiser Momentum TW​

but Amazon selling it cheaper??after convertg to SGD only140? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=8e65ad9b87149cd063ac1f8e37666148&th=1

The local set sold by Amazon SG even cheaper lor at $98 SGD only.

I don't have this one but I have the two 1st gen Audio Technica TWS CKR7TW and SPORT7TW. The CKR7TW is still my go-to daily TWS, neutral balanced sound with very good amount of details and instrument separation, perfect for classical music and rock, like my beloved Klipsch X10i last time. The SPORTT7TW sounds very similar to the ATH-CKS5TW. It's good for bassy genres but everything else is kind of muddled. These two TWS also have quite lag when watching videos, and the lack of the EQ in the Iphone app is disappointing. But to be fair, maybe AT fix these problems in their newer TWS.

At $100 to $150 the competition is very stiff and even last year models are getting steep discounts to counter newer better models. I've just bought Klipsch T5 ii Sports for jogging from Amazon US for $140 SGD. It is also quite bassy but more details and at least the Iphone app is significantly better and got proper EQ.

I still love the Audio Technica sound though, if AT ANC300TW drops to below $150 I might consider buying it.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
wow! i luv ATH wired earphones all these while
Either made lots of purchases when I am in jp , if not gotten them in sg

Phen8210

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow! i luv ATH wired earphones all these while
Either made lots of purchases when I am in jp , if not gotten them in sg

seems like many here love ATH sound signature..

as for me, I prefer something that is smooth and has a natural timbre.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
Not many luv ath!

Whenever i mentioned ath, they asked me what is that “all time high”??!!?!!

Esp the younger gen

They wont knw the “gem”

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Usually when someone likes a brand of headphones, they stick to it until there is a chance to try another brand and then they might change their mind. There is a reason why some brands get so many supporters, because it's a sound that many people like, but not necessarily mean it's the most accurate or most detailed sound. Just like choosing to drink bubble tea with 100% sugar or 0% sugar. Healthy but not flavourful vs. Unhealthy but shiok.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes! just like using smartphones - my 1st smart phone (2010s) is still the same wonderful brand till Now!

dreamaurora

Reaction score
Not many luv ath!

Whenever i mentioned ath, they asked me what is that “all time high”??!!?!!

Esp the younger gen

They wont knw the “gem”

It really doesn't help that ATH (and Sony) is still archaic in the way they name the products. I think they also spend very little on marketing.

ATH I think has always been kind of niche brand partly because they prefer neutral and brighter sound signature. Most people getting into audio stuff would prefer warmer and less sibilant sound.

Phen8210

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't help that ATH (and Sony) is still archaic in the way they name the products. I think they also spend very little on marketing.

ATH I think has always been kind of niche brand partly because they prefer neutral and brighter sound signature. Most people getting into audio stuff would prefer warmer and less sibilant sound.

Spot on (y) (y)

For me, I'd prefer sony over ATH. Sonys tend to have nice timbre.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anyone quickly help in summarizing: the diffces between brighter sound signature v warmer and less sibilant sound and timbre??

I like it sibilant !

Anyone tried any Nuarl models w powerful bass??
Or should i ask in another thread(not sure the diffce betwn this thread and the other):

Too many similar threads in hwz….

Last edited:

dreamaurora

Reaction score
Can anyone quickly help in summarizing: the diffces between brighter sound signature v warmer and less sibilant sound and timbre??

I like it sibilant !

Or should i ask in another thread(not sure the diffce betwn this thread and the other):

Brighter sound signature: slight treble emphasis. Good for classical music, piano, rock, and metal.

Warmer sound: more mid with rolled off treble. Good for vocal, pop, and dance music.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
Arigatou!

Yes i pref it brighter type cos i listend to symphony and very i to bass

I do listen to pop/songs too but i have to trade off then

musicsg_com

Reaction score

I think it's more to do with the target market. Product models from Japan are mostly code-based instead of giving a "name". Many ATH products are sold in Japan months before making available worldwide. Their tuning is mostly to favour Japan market.

Phen8210

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I like it sibilant !

The warmer sound got more mid-bass

Brighter sound more treble

Sibilance is usually in vocal when the singer pronounces the words got the 'sss' emphasis.

Timbre is the quality of the tone, good timbre sounds more natural.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
What music or songs do use to test your ear pc

Tells me how serious one is!!
I use 4 seasons

(Not just 1 but the whole series of 4 seasons)

The bass and treble must mimic the stage /symphonic Live in my ears….. many ear pc failed

musicsg_com

Reaction score

I use 4 seasons

The bass and treble must mimic the stage /symphonic Live in my ears….. many ear pc failed
I use a wide repertoire, each having their own nuances for me to pick up to assess. This is my list:
https://musicphotolife.com/reference-tracks-for-audio-reviews/

It is more important to be familiar with your reference source and then compare the sound across various earphones.

dappermen

Master Member
Reaction score
tks 4 the list
I thk it also depends on the Genres we r listening too, rite?

dreamaurora

Reaction score

I use 4 seasons

For orchestra IMO the best piece to use is the last movement of Mahler's Resurrection. Epic orchestra + chorus. Will sound chaotic and muddled with not so good headphones or TWS.

Piano I like to use Debussy's Jardin sous la plue to test the ability to maintain clarity for very rapid sounding notes.

For non-classical, I like to use KDA's Drum go Dum to test vocal and bass response. Passcode's Taking You Out to see if it can maintain clarity and instrument separation for metal and rock genre.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.