[Help] Buying knife from Kyoto and bring to SG

Crexzz

Master Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 kitchen knife last year, left it in my check-in luggage n went thru custom without issue.

Or maybe I'm just lucky?

youngheartsparkfire

Reaction score
I actually bought a knife from Hayakawa last November and got my mother's name engraved. Brought it back in check-in luggage with zero problems and zero issues, just made sure I kept it wrapped in original packaging and with receipt.

Before going for that trip I actually called ICA - they redirected me to SPF whom I emailed. In their reply (valid at 4th Sep 2015)
"Kitchen knives are not regulated and no licence or approval is required from PLRD / SPF"

Hope that helps.

For the best clarity and peace of mind you can always do the above again - call ICA and email SPF, and print out the responses :)

sCuzzZy

Reaction score
Should be alright. I bought a set of kitchen knives and checked them in without a problem.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Well I only had a small box which housed a letter opener in the form of a miniature sword in my luggage a couple of years back. It's really small. If the luggage had arrived in SG with me, I supposed I could pass through without any checks. But my luggage flew to SYD without me, and when it finally arrived in SG one day later after my arrival, it had to go through x-ray and I was being "summoned" to go into the transit area's (first time I went into transit area without a boarding pass actually) lost & found counter and was asked to open up the bag and show them the "miniature sword".

Maybe they have different rules for letter openers (in the form of weapons) and kitchen knives (which are also a form of weapon what...)... :(

youngheartsparkfire

Reaction score
Care to share what happened after you showed them the sword for the full picture? :D

From what I hear, weapon-shaped items are never a good thing...katana-shaped umbrellas or gun-shaped lighters etc.

Well I only had a small box which housed a letter opener in the form of a miniature sword in my luggage a couple of years back. It's really small. If the luggage had arrived in SG with me, I supposed I could pass through without any checks. But my luggage flew to SYD without me, and when it finally arrived in SG one day later after my arrival, it had to go through x-ray and I was being "summoned" to go into the transit area's (first time I went into transit area without a boarding pass actually) lost & found counter and was asked to open up the bag and show them the "miniature sword".

Maybe they have different rules for letter openers (in the form of weapons) and kitchen knives (which are also a form of weapon what...)... :(

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Care to share what happened after you showed them the sword for the full picture? :D

From what I hear, weapon-shaped items are never a good thing...katana-shaped umbrellas or gun-shaped lighters etc.

Nothing leh. The customs officer laughed nia, and said it looked very nice. Then he said as long as it's shaped like a weapon, they have to ask passenger to show the real thing, it's SOP. After that I kept it and got my luggage home lor.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
bought a knife from osaka was stopped at sg customs and i bluff them i am working as a chef and they let me go

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bought a knife from osaka was stopped at sg customs and i bluff them i am working as a chef and they let me go
Why do you even need to bluff them when in the first place you are not doing anything wrong? Later they ask you for proof that you work as a chef then end up you dig your own grave 😬

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
brought 2 x knife back from Japan. One of them is a chinese cleaver. both checked in. Btw scissors cannot bring on flight, brought a pair of ceramic scissors cost me over 70 sgd then got stopped at custom check after checking in my luggage..lucky one of the airport worker was so helpful to find me a box on his own will so i can check in it.

The Japan airline counter girl was like not my problem u cannnot now check it in

Last edited:

gundamhamtaro

Reaction score
My family bought 2 kitchen knives and bought back no probs as well. Think the thing here is that knive must be recognisable as kitchen knife then no prob. dont think samurai sword etc can make it back to SG

newjersey

Reaction score
can. but don't risk it, cause it's a sharp object.
you don't want to hide it and get suspected for a terrorist when it is found in your belongings.

declare, keep the purchase receipt and pay GST, if needed.

our ICA are v nice people as long as u pay your GST.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
brought 2 x knife back from Japan. One of them is a chinese cleaver. both checked in. Btw scissors cannot bring on flight, brought a pair of ceramic scissors cost me over 70 sgd then got stopped at custom check after checking in my luggage..lucky one of the airport worker was so helpful to find me a box on his own will so i can check in it.

The Japan airline counter girl was like not my problem u cannnot now check it in

Anything sharp (apart from pens and pencils) are never allowed in luggage. That includes scissors and nail clippers. Even letter openers are not allowed I think. Why didn't you check your scissors in, in the first place?

FireEmblem

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything sharp (apart from pens and pencils) are never allowed in luggage. That includes scissors and nail clippers. Even letter openers are not allowed I think. Why didn't you check your scissors in, in the first place?

Haha did not research good enough else would have checked it in.

urban_closet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have bought the display katanas from Asakusa before.

Due to its length, it could not be packed in the luggage.

Had to declare with customs, leave it with them and apply for license.

Pretty straightforward process.

teryz

Reaction score
Have bought the display katanas from Asakusa before.

Due to its length, it could not be packed in the luggage.

Had to declare with customs, leave it with them and apply for license.

Pretty straightforward process.
wait whatt? how? cant seem to find how to apply for permit

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.