Help selling late father's car

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Dad passed on last month, he has an old Toyota Wish (COE till 2028) parked in the carpark for 2 months now and we intend to sell it. The car is under his name, we are in the midst of getting Letter of Administration from lawyer so my Mom can become the Administrator and sell the car. The car is under hire purchase with Hong Leong Finance, I called them and they say outstanding loan 13K needs to be cleared before selling.

The car's battery is flat, we did call a car dealer to come take a look, the person unable to start it with a small starter box, and advised us to tow the car to his workshop to check and do maintenance. But we said need time to think about it.

As I don't drive and is new to this, I would sincerely seek some advice here, basically we want to sell the car at a good price and not get conned by a car dealer / seller. What are the steps to take?

Based on some of my research, I'm thinking the steps would be: Pay off all loans to Hong Leong > Use letter of Administration and transfer car ownership to my Mom > Engage car dealer tow car to workshop to fix / refurbish it, then help sell the car? (or, can we sell it ourselves on carousell or other platforms?)

But the lawyer who helped us with LOA said, if we were to transfer ownership of car to my Mom, she would have to first buy car insurance and pay road tax first? is that true? Anyway my Mom has no driving license, only I do, but I never drove a car for like 5 years and I don't intend to drive anytime soon.

Some info from the car I retrieved from LTA Enquire PARF/COE Rebate for Registered Vehicle:

Vehicle Make
TOYOTA

Vehicle Model
WISH 1.8XE A

Primary Colour
Silver

Manufacturing Year

Maximum Power Output
97.0 kW (130 bhp)

Open Market Value
$17,398.00

Original Registration Date
16 Jun 2008

Transfer Count

Actual ARF Paid
$17,398.00

PARF Eligibility
Forfeited

COE Expiry Date
15 Jun 2028

COE Category
B - Car (1601cc & above)

COE Period(Years)

PQP Paid
$37,906.00

COE Rebate Amount
$21,750.00

Total Rebate Amount
$21,750.00

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.
sorry for ur lost.. since so complicated just scape the car.. get back coe remain value & pay back the loan.

g_t2006

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry for ur lost.. since so complicated just scape the car.. get back coe remain value & pay back the loan.
It's not that complicated. It's time consuming. Will waste a lot of time waiting for the documents.

Once the documents are ready, it's pretty fast. Just need to purchase the necessary insurance and do the transfer. Then can lelong for sale already.

Probably can lay up the vehicle first?

I drove my late father's vehicle regularly as I was insured under the vehicle as well. When the documents were ready, I listed the vehicle for sale. Luckily could get a pretty decent (if not, good) price for it.

But I had to maintain the vehicle in the meantime. Oh, and the vehicle was fully paid for.

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WHY ON EARTH scrap.. u guys nv see the COE date is 6 years later meh? and dont know current COE prices isit????

0 knowledge and sense and 0 experience with such things please dont go around dispensing stupid dumb advice.

TS go and see how much this car can fetch on sgcarmart, carousell etc.

easily double your scrap value and rebates etc at the very least. those asking TS to scrap are probably dealers waiting to PM you they will "help" you to scrap for "free".

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WHY ON EARTH scrap.. u guys nv see the COE date is 6 years later meh? and dont know current COE prices isit????

0 knowledge and sense and 0 experience with such things please dont go around dispensing stupid dumb advice.

TS go and see how much this car can fetch on sgcarmart, carousell etc.

easily double your scrap value and rebates etc at the very least. those asking TS to scrap are probably dealers waiting to PM you they will "help" you to scrap for "free".
You so good you go buy over and sell for TS lor.

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You so good you go buy over and sell for TS lor.
u one of those giving kum gong advice right.
smlj is easier to just scrap.
20-25k not worth a few hours or at most a few days of your time is it. forgive me, you must be a millionaire making 100k a month.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u one of those giving kum gong advice right.
smlj is easier to just scrap.
20-25k not worth a few hours or at most a few days of your time is it. forgive me, you must be a millionaire making 100k a month.
Can see you obviously only can see money cannot see anything else. Kum gong one is those who only know how to talk don't know how to think.

If you so free then you go do for TS, why come here talk like it's so simple and all you need is a few days. You know how much TS earns meh? How you know to him 1 day is not = $25K ? Don't be pennywise pound foolish. Think before you comment on others.

Give more constructive feedback how to do it or offer to take it up. Don't want to do then don't talk like it's simple since you're not doing the legwork. You're forgiven for being so short-sightedness, glad you know how to ask for forgiveness upon knowing you're wrong.

Use your clone account cuteboy82 come comment la, why login another to stir sh1t.

joshua182

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can see you obviously only can see money cannot see anything else. Kum gong one is those who only know how to talk don't know how to think.

If you so free then you go do for TS, why come here talk like it's so simple and all you need is a few days. You know how much TS earns meh? How you know to him 1 day is not = $25K ? Don't be pennywise pound foolish. Think before you comment on others.

Give more constructive feedback how to do it or offer to take it up. Don't want to do then don't talk like it's simple since you're not doing the legwork. You're forgiven for being so short-sightedness, glad you know how to ask for forgiveness upon knowing you're wrong.

Use your clone account cuteboy82 come comment la, why login another to stir sh1t.
nvm next time you have such a car ill be very happy to take as many as u have and sell for u. give u candy.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nvm next time you have such a car ill be very happy to take as many as u have and sell for u. give u candy.
I'm sorry, but you won't be to afford what I'm driving. And I rather scrap it than gift to you or sell to you.

Stop digressing and stirring sh1t if you have nothing constructive to contribute.

SLee1980

Reaction score
There is no right or wrong advice, all are trying to contribute for TS to make informed or sound decision. Is up to TS.

End goal is TS is making the right decision for his family.

Let's keep the objective towards TS's good. :)

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong advice, all are trying to contribute for TS to make informed or sound decision. Is up to TS.

End goal is TS is making the right decision for his family.

Let's keep the objective towards TS's good. :)
Agreed on this. Clones will just be clones.

Sty_123

Reaction score
Can see that TS is not responding to all the replies above. I guess TS is already getting a lot of PM to offer to buy the car off them and willing to help on the arrangements. Guess we don't need to contribute anymore suggestions. I sincerely hope that they will get a good price for the car so that they can use the money to settle the balance medical bills incur by their late father.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Can see that TS is not responding to all the replies above. I guess TS is already getting a lot of PM to offer to buy the car off them and willing to help on the arrangements. Guess we don't need to contribute anymore suggestions. I sincerely hope that they will get a good price for the car so that they can use the money to settle the balance medical bills incur by their late father.
Even if TS got lots of PM, I hope he does his due diligence. As we know, there are lots of CMI dealers around, as there are good ones.

Of course we know selling the car especially to a direct owner can fetch a much higher value than to a 2nd hand dealer or scrap. But if you don't know much about cars, don't drive like TS, how to expect TS to make the first step of doing the car up? TS will end up being more stressed worrying about towing the car from one point to another, dealing with workshops.

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
No matter scrap or sell, ts still need to do a transfer of ownership or LOA. Unless u tell me need to spend 10k in order to get the car sellable, if not y go and scrap.

Scrap = $25k most
Sell to dealer = $40k at least

U tell me for convenience sake willing to lugi 15k.. Forum really all rich ppl.

NoTimeToWaitAr

Reaction score
Even if TS got lots of PM, I hope he does his due diligence. As we know, there are lots of CMI dealers around, as there are good ones.

Of course we know selling the car especially to a direct owner can fetch a much higher value than to a 2nd hand dealer or scrap. But if you don't know much about cars, don't drive like TS, how to expect TS to make the first step of doing the car up? TS will end up being more stressed worrying about towing the car from one point to another, dealing with workshops.
The car was left there unused for 2mth, battery flat is rather standard. If fact he don't even need to fix the batt. He can just jitao list 25k in carousel or sgcarmart or any of the portal, dealers will be running over

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My condolences.

Don't scrap the car! You probably can get more money out it it by selling to a 2nd hand car dealer.

Contact Quotz or motorist.sg and see how much you can get from the car.

https://www.quotz.com.sg/sell-car-by-bid-online#index-form
https://www.motorist.sg/car-valuation
This. Scrap car u just get body value and some COE rebate. Totally not worth. Now with car prices sky high, u some be able get decent amt back.

The lawyer is probably right. All assets will be to your mom first. But road tax n insurance thingy im not sure she need to get if not driving. Perhaps get 2nd opinion from another lawyer

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

When you have no car ownership background etc, it's tough because you don't know what needs to be done, what is required and more. Scrapping tho' is a loss of money but to many who are grieving or really feeling the hurt of a loss one a fast and easy way out.

To sell first the ownership has to be under TS first, this will be a long effort but if deemed worth it, then by all means.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This. Scrap car u just get body value and some COE rebate. Totally not worth. Now with car prices sky high, u some be able get decent amt back.

The lawyer is probably right. All assets will be to your mom first. But road tax n insurance thingy im not sure she need to get if not driving. Perhaps get 2nd opinion from another lawyer
No road tax and no insurance is not road legal that's all, you can tow the device to a shop. Just be wary of the fines imposed by LTA for late payment etc, and hope they can waive off or the dealer can take care of it.

Easy way is just sell cheaper, get workshop to tow. But first, still need to clear loan & transfer the car under a name to be transferred out.

sigeena

Reaction score
Wish smelly smelly also 10k/Yr depre at current market. If COE till 2028, the market value is probably 50-60k.

Sty_123

Reaction score
TS Jitao busy liao. I guess they get a lot of PM to offer to get the wish off their hands and will settle everything for them. Second hand car dealers and those just looking for a bigger family car is just nice. It might just be a win win for both parties.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS Jitao busy liao. I guess they get a lot of PM to offer to get the wish off their hands and will settle everything for them. Second hand car dealers and those just looking for a bigger family car is just nice. It might just be a win win for both parties.
The answers already given in the past few pages, no point digging this nor stirring further. TS also no point to pay attention to this thread anymore.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.