Help with HDB networking! Advice needed

guitarunited

Reaction score
I bought a 5 room HDB (6 years old).
My electrician converted all the telephone points into data points. So I have one in every room including living room.

I want to create a mesh network in the house but am not sure how.

I understand Singtel provides ONR modem/router.
So if I connect the FTP -> ONR -> terminal points in the db box, can I from my living room plug in my mesh router and then from there create a mesh network around my home?

Otherwise if I don’t use ONR, what other suggestion you guys have?
Perhaps can suggest how I can start a wired mesh network?

Apex

Reaction score
If Singtel issue you an ONR

The ONR itself is a router.

Your MESH will need to be configure as AP mode.

Singtel ONR LAN 1> Mesh node 1 (Living room)
Singtel ONR LAN 2> Mesh node 2 (Bedroom)

guitarunited

Reaction score
If Singtel issue you an ONR

The ONR itself is a router.

Your MESH will need to be configure as AP mode.

Singtel ONR LAN 1> Mesh node 1 (Living room)
Singtel ONR LAN 2> Mesh node 2 (Bedroom)
Thanks for replying.
Can explain to me what is AP mode and how do I configure that on google WiFi nest?

Apex

Reaction score
Can check this

Google has guide on how about to do it.

guitarunited

Reaction score
Can check this

Google has guide on how about to do it.
I read the guide. So for instance:

Modem -> ONR -> google nest router

the article says I shld put the ONR as the bridge mode instead of the google nest router. Am I right?

Apex

Reaction score
I read the guide. So for instance:

Modem -> ONR -> google nest router

the article says I shld put the ONR as the bridge mode instead of the google nest router. Am I right?

The steps are below:

With the Google Home app​

1. Open the Google Home app
    Google Home app
  2. Tap Wi-Fi > Settings > Advanced networking.
  3. Tap Network mode >your Wifi router or point > Bridge mode.
  4. Tap Save
    kZ9MKcw_HgaX4kHDCtXdq7j6RL1PwxyxgKat_FqKY6ITz1xv3AOjtriXgLSSijzwGL4=h36

With the Google Wifi app​

1. Open the Google Wifi app
    BGMo5nbEO75EP8mEW1R--XtPJ9ml5MeTrXhotbLqqtAk1a079bVdJRa_YiXg-mnGCKbg=h36
  2. Tap the Settings and actions tab
    IkQEaRCtahiZy_YFfmL8qs5m0K5RaRIOeEzIyYaSQ4A4H8or8fBF34RpK2_Ie_XxxZo=h36
    and then
    Network and general.
  3. Tap Advanced networking
    and then
    Network mode
    and then
    your Wifi point
    and then
    Bridge mode.
  4. Tap OK
    and then
    Save.

I don't own a Google nest hope this helps.

guitarunited

Reaction score
The steps are below:

With the Google Home app​

1. Open the Google Home app
    Google Home app
  2. Tap Wi-Fi > Settings > Advanced networking.
  3. Tap Network mode >your Wifi router or point > Bridge mode.
  4. Tap Save
    kZ9MKcw_HgaX4kHDCtXdq7j6RL1PwxyxgKat_FqKY6ITz1xv3AOjtriXgLSSijzwGL4=h36

With the Google Wifi app​

1. Open the Google Wifi app
    BGMo5nbEO75EP8mEW1R--XtPJ9ml5MeTrXhotbLqqtAk1a079bVdJRa_YiXg-mnGCKbg=h36
  2. Tap the Settings and actions tab
    IkQEaRCtahiZy_YFfmL8qs5m0K5RaRIOeEzIyYaSQ4A4H8or8fBF34RpK2_Ie_XxxZo=h36
    and then
    Network and general.
  3. Tap Advanced networking
    and then
    Network mode
    and then
    your Wifi point
    and then
    Bridge mode.
  4. Tap OK
    and then
    Save.

I don't own a Google nest hope this helps.

Thanks you have been really helpful.
I got another question maybe you can advise me on it.

So after extensive research, this is my plan for my home. Can you advise me whether it is feasible?

Fiber optic point -> modem -> router (bridge mode) -> data point in wall terminal (living room) -> 1st mesh router (living room)

so in this setup, because the router that was connected to the modem is in bridge mode, will my data points in the other rooms still have internet when I plug in via lan?

Apex

Reaction score
Thanks you have been really helpful.
I got another question maybe you can advise me on it.

So after extensive research, this is my plan for my home. Can you advise me whether it is feasible?

Fiber optic point -> modem -> router (bridge mode) -> data point in wall terminal (living room) -> 1st mesh router (living room)

so in this setup, because the router that was connected to the modem is in bridge mode, will my data points in the other rooms still have internet when I plug in via lan?

Normally once you convert a Router into bride mode. This would leave the Wireless and LAN port running.

So the above should work. BTW what router is that? (Brand and model)

guitarunited

Reaction score
Normally once you convert a Router into bride mode. This would leave the Wireless and LAN port running.

So the above should work. BTW what router is that? (Brand and model)
Planning to get myrepublic plan. So the router that they give is

TP-Link EC330 1Gbps Broadband​

So I will get using this router as my bridge. Hopefully it will be good enough

Apex

Reaction score

My republic seems to issue ONT.

So the router shouldn't be configured as bridge (leave it as router mode)

irbadboyz

Reaction score
I bought a 5 room HDB (6 years old).
My electrician converted all the telephone points into data points. So I have one in every room including living room.

I want to create a mesh network in the house but am not sure how.

I understand Singtel provides ONR modem/router.
So if I connect the FTP -> ONR -> terminal points in the db box, can I from my living room plug in my mesh router and then from there create a mesh network around my home?

Otherwise if I don’t use ONR, what other suggestion you guys have?
Perhaps can suggest how I can start a wired mesh network?

IT Support Singapore

Since your ONT/ONR is the router, and if it does have WIFI, you will need to turn the wifi off. Connect it to your new mesh router and set up the SSID and WIFI settings on your mesh router.

You can't mesh from the Singtel router, at best you can make your mesh routers become the Access Point, but that will not longer have the mesh function (where the mesh routers talk to each other and do load balancing).

Best to make the mesh the DHCP server. Easiest way to do so is to turn off the wifi from the ONR and use the wifi from your mesh.

mrkiasu

Reaction score

You can opt for the plan without any router and get your own set of MESH Router. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier and you wont be tied down to the EC330.

guitarunited

Reaction score
You can opt for the plan without any router and get your own set of MESH Router. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier and you wont be tied down to the EC330.
Hi mrkiasu, I think the problem now is that the isp I want to subscribe to gives me a ONR modem/router right?

cause my plan was to subscribe to myrepublic,
plug in the EC330 (set as bridge mode), then connect to the terminal points.
From my living terminal points, plug in my google nest router and then mesh with another google WiFi in my bedroom.

I’m open to all advice. Pls do advice me if you have better suggestions.

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi mrkiasu, I think the problem now is that the isp I want to subscribe to gives me a ONR modem/router right?

cause my plan was to subscribe to myrepublic,
plug in the EC330 (set as bridge mode), then connect to the terminal points.
From my living terminal points, plug in my google nest router and then mesh with another google WiFi in my bedroom.

I’m open to all advice. Pls do advice me if you have better suggestions.

If you wish to subscribe to MR, then pay the one time fee to get the "static IP" just in case you need it in the future.

For MR, you should be issued with an ONT, can verify with them. I recommend you just get the plan without the router, then get the mesh router on your own. Skip the EC330, it just complicate your set up.

guitarunited

Reaction score
If you wish to subscribe to MR, then pay the one time fee to get the "static IP" just in case you need it in the future.

For MR, you should be issued with an ONT, can verify with them. I recommend you just get the plan without the router, then get the mesh router on your own. Skip the EC330, it just complicate your set up.

hi @TanKianW, I already bought a google nest router with the additional point.

so u are suggesting getting MR’s ONT and get them to set to bridge mode. Then from the ONT connect directly to the terminal point. And from my living room set up my google nest router?

pls correct my understanding.
also, since I’m using ONT, I will need a switch to have enough ports to connect to the terminal points?

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score
hi @TanKianW, I already bought a google nest router with the additional point.

so u are suggesting getting MR’s ONT and get them to set to bridge mode. Then from the ONT connect directly to the terminal point. And from my living room set up my google nest router?

pls correct my understanding.
also, since I’m using ONT, I will need a switch to have enough ports to connect to the terminal points?

There is no need for you to get the ONT, it will be issued to you when you sign up for the ISP plan. ONT no need to be bridge. Set up will be TP -> ONT -> Mesh Router.

I dun think you can put a switch right after the ONT, unless it is an ONR (correct me if I am wrong). If you need more ports, the switch should be after the router in your case.

guitarunited

Reaction score
But like this means I need to place my mesh router inside my db box which I don’t want because it will affect the signal. Hence, I thought of putting a bridged router inside then the mesh router will be in my living and the additional point in my bedroom.

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Since your HDB unit is relatively young and it comes with a DB, then you can do the following (just a suggestion):

In the DB box, this is where the TP (termination point) reside,

TP (@ DB) -> ONT (supplied by ISP) -> wired router WAN (e.g. EdgeRouter™ X or any old wireless router by disabling the wireless)

And from the router LAN port -> connect to the multiple ports faceplate which will connect to the living room and bedrooms.

Mesh wise -> Try to choose the same brand (e.g. Asus AiMesh). Maybe you can get 1 unit first and check the coverage. Identify the weak spots (if any) and add accordingly.

Do note that, for Xiaomi brand, to my last encounter with it (last year), it doesn't support mesh mode in AP mode. Not sure about it now but that's something you need to be aware of.

guitarunited

Reaction score
Since your HDB unit is relatively young and it comes with a DB, then you can do the following (just a suggestion):

In the DB box, this is where the TP (termination point) reside,

TP (@ DB) -> ONT (supplied by ISP) -> wired router WAN (e.g. EdgeRouter™ X or any old wireless router by disabling the wireless)

And from the router LAN port -> connect to the multiple ports faceplate which will connect to the living room and bedrooms.

Mesh wise -> Try to choose the same brand (e.g. Asus AiMesh). Maybe you can get 1 unit first and check the coverage. Identify the weak spots (if any) and add accordingly.

Do note that, for Xiaomi brand, to my last encounter with it (last year), it doesn't support mesh mode in AP mode. Not sure about it now but that's something you need to be aware of.
Hi really thankful for your reply.
So I’ve bought my mesh router alrdy which is the google nest which comes with an additional port.

im thinking of using the router which was provided by the ISP as the “wired router WAN” which you have mentioned because I think I just need to pay like $2 more each month to get the router.

so from the living, I will plug my google nest router in.

is it similar to what you have suggested? And from your opinion would that work?

XiaoFu99

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi really thankful for your reply.
So I’ve bought my mesh router alrdy which is the google nest which comes with an additional port.

im thinking of using the router which was provided by the ISP as the “wired router WAN” which you have mentioned because I think I just need to pay like $2 more each month to get the router.

so from the living, I will plug my google nest router in.

is it similar to what you have suggested? And from your opinion would that work?
I'm not familiar with Google Nest devices.

Based on your description, it would mean that your Google Nest is operating in AP mode. And in that mode, can it still work with other Google Nest devices in your house to form a mesh? Asus and TP-Link can and Xiaomi can't (based on last year experience).

Of course, you can use your Google Nest in router mode which means you will suffer from double NAT.

Lastly, based on my quick google on Nest, it can operate in bridge mode, however, only a single unit and it can't be use to form a mesh.

Perhaps, some bros here who have used Google Nest can recommend or suggest how you should do your network connection. Apologize didn't help in this case.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.