Hokkaido car rental

dude123

Master Member
Reaction score
Not hard to drive in Hokkaido especially when you are on the highway. If you are a first-timer, just don't drive during the winter.

I used both google GPS and the in-build car GPS. Before going, just check out the map code of the destination. Self-drive is the best way to explore the attraction.

Hokkaido is more fun doing self drive.
Thanks for advice!

dude123

Master Member
Reaction score
Traffic is heavier in the cities and parking is expensive in the cities too. If you booked hotels with mechanical parking, it tests your driving skill.

I usually park my car at the hotel and use public transport around the city.

Refilling petrol is not that straightforward for me. I used to get attendance to fill for me in SG but in JP, I think you have to do it yourself. And the payment is to the attendance, not sure is it the same for all petrol station.
Most hotel got free parking? I think also better to take public transport in the city and only drive when going out of city. Better to collect & return car at the airport right?

oohmygod

Reaction score
Most hotel got free parking? I think also better to take public transport in the city and only drive when going out of city. Better to collect & return car at the airport right?
Yes most hotels provide free parking. I collect car from the airport but return car in the city because the last few days when I stay in the city I don't need to waste the car rental.

dude123

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes most hotels provide free parking. I collect car from the airport but return car in the city because the last few days when I stay in the city I don't need to waste the car rental.
Oh so the ideal route is to tour outskirts first then last stop in the city since won't be driving in there.

oohmygod

Reaction score
Oh so the ideal route is to tour outskirts first then last stop in the city since won't be driving in there.
Yes that is ideal for me because my last stop is always in a city buying goodies before boarding the plane back to SG

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can consider driving in Sapporo as well and explore the nearby cities/towns. The good sushi outlets are usually located slightly off from the city center.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jalan.net has JPY 3900 coupon to offset Car Rental of JPY 30,000 or more

Just reserved, 8 days, Suzuki Hustler, JPY28.1k (ie 32k less .9k)

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes but remb to confirm e free parking before hand.

1 time I parked at e hotel’s automated multi-storey parking, so fascinated forgot to switch off e interior lights. nx morning hotel staff had to help me jump start e car 😅

Last edited:

Beta_123

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I’m planning to rent a car for 5 days for my Hokkaido trip in end march. I was wondering if I should get a etc pass which is 16.3K yen quoted by tocoo.

wondering if this is worth it. My itinerary will be Sapporo>niseko>Hakodate>lake toya> airport drop off. Would anyone know if I were to take toll roads between these destination how much would I have to pay for toll?

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I’m planning to rent a car for 5 days for my Hokkaido trip in end march. I was wondering if I should get a etc pass which is 16.3K yen quoted by tocoo.

wondering if this is worth it. My itinerary will be Sapporo>niseko>Hakodate>lake toya> airport drop off. Would anyone know if I were to take toll roads between these destination how much would I have to pay for toll?

ToCoo is expensive leh ...

try to register an account with Jalan.net (Japanese site), then book with J-Net car rental

5 days probably cost JPY 20K (before Jalan coupon), without optional CDW n NOC insurance ( or add around JPY2200? per day)

(I believe ToCoo is compulsory to get CDW n NOC insurance)

Sapporo to Niseko - no need Expressway. The normal national highway is good enough

Niseko to Hakodate - if take Eway, the toll is about JPY 2700 (1 way) for a normal car (cheaper for 660cc light car)

check from this site https://dc.c-nexco.co.jp/dc/en/Driv...th=28&optHr=13&optMnt=0&optApnt=0&optSrt=time

however, normal non-toll national road is good enough

Hakodate to Toya - u can take Expressway (check the toll from above link, shld be around JPY 2700) ... but the national non toll road is good enough.

Toya to Airport - can take Eway but national non toll road is good enough.

I have driven all the above non-toll roads before in past trips.

In sum, quite clear u DO NOT need the expensive Hokkaido Expressway pass (HEP)

There is also the option of renting a ETC Card which gives you 30% discount off Tolls on Weekends, PH or late night weekdays. Other times/days, the toll is no different if u pay cash at the toll. Renting a ETC card is only JPY 300 per rental (but I recall ToCoo charges per day !!?? )

Lastly, 5 days is rather short for your itin IMO. 2 more days wld be ideal.

For my trips, I seldom use toll Expressway, but given your short time, Expressways may help.

Also, if Day 1 is a weekend, u may want to consider going straight to Hakodate after picking up the Car at Chitose (depending on arrival timing) ... then make your way back to Niseko, Toya back to Chitose . It could save u some time & toll

But that first leg will be long, can take Eway, the toll will be quite high ... if it is a Weekend, the ETC card saves 30%.

... but still, dont think need the HEP

Last edited:

Beta_123

Reaction score
ToCoo is expensive leh ...

try to register an account with Jalan.net (Japanese site), then book with J-Net car rental

5 days probably cost JPY 20K (before Jalan coupon), without optional CDW n NOC insurance ( or add around JPY2200? per day)

(I believe ToCoo is compulsory to get CDW n NOC insurance)

Sapporo to Niseko - no need Expressway. The normal national highway is good enough

Niseko to Hakodate - if take Eway, the toll is about JPY 2700 (1 way) for a normal car (cheaper for 660cc light car)

check from this site https://dc.c-nexco.co.jp/dc/en/Driv...th=28&optHr=13&optMnt=0&optApnt=0&optSrt=time

however, normal non-toll national road is good enough

Hakodate to Toya - u can take Expressway (check the toll from above link, shld be around JPY 2700) ... but the national non toll road is good enough.

Toya to Airport - can take Eway but national non toll road is good enough.

I have driven all the above non-toll roads before in past trips.

In sum, quite clear u DO NOT need the expensive Hokkaido Expressway pass (HEP)

There is also the option of renting a ETC Card which gives you 30% discount off Tolls on Weekends, PH or late night weekdays. Other times/days, the toll is no different if u pay cash at the toll. Renting a ETC card is only JPY 300 per rental (but I recall ToCoo charges per day !!?? )

Lastly, 5 days is rather short for your itin IMO. 2 more days wld be ideal.

For my trips, I seldom use toll Expressway, but given your short time, Expressways may help.

Also, if Day 1 is a weekend, u may want to consider going straight to Hakodate after picking up the Car at Chitose (depending on arrival timing) ... then make your way back to Niseko, Toya back to Chitose . It could save u some time & toll

But that first leg will be long, can take Eway, the toll will be quite high ... if it is a Weekend, the ETC card saves 30%.

... but still, dont think need the HEP
Thanks for your detailed response! :) I think CDW insurance is important to get. How about the NOC? Still not very sure what NOC is.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

5Days driving to cover 4 places in Hokkaido?

Make sure u read the map and their scale correctly... Chitose to Niseko is minimum 2-3 hours drive... reach there is half day gone... daylight is short due to winter... u going there for? Niseko to Hakodate is another 3 hours drive... Hakodate to Lake Toya 3 hours also... all these traveling time never take into consideration of rest stops and jam behind slow vehicles if u taking small roads to avoid tolls...

Suggest u Fly straight to Hakodate first… then Niseko… Lake Toya… Sapporo… and depart from Chitose…

Anyway… unless u add in another 2-3 days… or cut 1 place… it is pretty much a touch and go itinerary… but well is your holiday your choice... u happy can already... :)

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed response! :) I think CDW insurance is important to get. How about the NOC? Still not very sure what NOC is.

NOC fee is basically if the Rental Car needs repair due to any damage, it cannot be rented out ... thus the Rental Co will charge JPY20k fee (if u r able to return Rental Car) or JPY50k (if Rental car cannot be driven back).

with NOC insurance, u DO NOT have to pay these fees.

NOC insurance can only be bought together with CDW insurance, cannot standalone

CDW Insurance covers Damage Excess :

... regardless of extent of damage, without CDW Insurance, Damage Excess fee is a flat JPY 50k (not "up to", not more, not less) which is payable to Rent Co

... however, this JPY 50K is supposedly covered under own Travel Insurance Rental Car Excess benefit, and claimable

... so if buy separate CDW Insurance too, then it essentially makes own Travel Insurance Excess benefit moot (?)

... whereas NOC fee is not specifically covered by Travel Insurance

of course, if u buy CDW n NOC insurance, then u dont have to out of pocket in any incident, and for peace of mind

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to add to wongkc's input

- not a bad idea to fly into Hakodate (I have not done that myself)

- can save on some Toll, time & the long drive (though I like the drive ;) )

- to return car at different airport, there will be a drop off fee (JPY11k) and fewer rental options (bcos not every Rental Co has outlets in both Hako & CTS airports) .. so higher cost may offset the Toll savings

Daylight for late Mar is not too bad, Google says got 12+ hours, sunset at around 5.30pm (in early Nov, sunset was at 4pm ! :censored:)

Sunrise in Hokkaido is very early, even in winter (mayb bcos SG adjusted by 1hr), so aim to start the day early. eg) You can go out at 5am (it will be bright enough), explore surrounding areas, return hotel at 6.30am, onsen then have breakfast.

wongkc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to add to wongkc's input

- not a bad idea to fly into Hakodate (I have not done that myself)

- can save on some Toll, time & the long drive (though I like the drive ;) )

- to return car at different airport, there will be a drop off fee (JPY11k) and fewer rental options (bcos not every Rental Co has outlets in both Hako & CTS airports) .. so higher cost may offset the Toll savings

Daylight for late Mar is not too bad, Google says got 12+ hours, sunset at around 5.30pm (in early Nov, sunset was at 4pm ! :censored:)

Sunrise in Hokkaido is very early, even in winter (mayb bcos SG adjusted by 1hr), so aim to start the day early. eg) You can go out at 5am (it will be bright enough), explore surrounding areas, return hotel at 6.30am, onsen then have breakfast.

I hate to back track to the same airport... i prefer my itinerary to flow from 1 place to the other... thus for Hokkaido i always recommend using different airports for arrival and departure... can cover more areas... there are many airports in Hokkaido to cater for this... though need to do more research on the flights timing... since those smaller airports other than Chitose have less flights to Tokyo... the connecting flights back to Singapore maybe have long transit timing...

For Hokkaido winter... i prefer not to drive too early or in the evening... too early the roads might not be cleared off the snow... and in the evening there are higher chances of encountering black ice... when the day's heat melt some snow and freezes back to ice in the evening... driving over snow is still ok... but driving over ice is scary... but end march maybe not so much snow/ice liao...

Not sure abt those car rental costs as it is usually handled by my jap bro in law... if rent from those big car rental like toyota/nissan etc they should have branches all over... not sure abt the fee for dropping off at different branches though...

Beta_123

Reaction score
NOC fee is basically if the Rental Car needs repair due to any damage, it cannot be rented out ... thus the Rental Co will charge JPY20k fee (if u r able to return Rental Car) or JPY50k (if Rental car cannot be driven back).

... regardless of extent of damage, without CDW Insurance, Damage Excess fee is a flat JPY 50k (not "up to", not more, not less) which is payable to Rent Co

... however, this JPY 50K is supposedly covered under own Travel Insurance Rental Car Excess benefit, and claimable

... so if buy separate CDW Insurance too, then it essentially makes own Travel Insurance Excess benefit moot (?)

of course, if u buy CDW n NOC insurance, then u dont have to out of pocket in any incident, and for peace of mind

I see, thanks for the detailed explanation. We bought travel insurance which includes car rental hence CDW is not necessary in this case.

Beta_123

Reaction score

Thanks for the input! In my original itinerary I actually Have one more day but SQ changed my flight to one day later. So I have not much choice either. And I also enquired if I can fly out from Hakodate but that itinerary wasn’t available. Not sure why.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.