Hong Kong open for tourists

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also went australia dairy farm, its nothing like the past, they were courteous lol

tbh honest hkg nothing much everything you want to buy or eat 90% sg has

visited tsv shan monastery this time also, can go if keen, v tranquil place.

https://www.tszshan.org/

heng_82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone went to Macau from HK? Can advise if need to do any PCR test in order to enter macau?
nothing needed, just passport, but do book ferry tickets in advance, the queue for tickets is horrendous

Hmmm, seems like there’s changes from 14/03, my visit was end of feb. New rules seems abit confusing to me, so I don’t think I can answer. But it seems the rule for pcr mainly for Macao>mainland

Last edited:

Squeezer

Reaction score
nothing needed, just passport, but do book ferry tickets in advance, the queue for tickets is horrendous

Hmmm, seems like there’s changes from 14/03, my visit was end of feb. New rules seems abit confusing to me, so I don’t think I can answer. But it seems the rule for pcr mainly for Macao>mainland
Agree... why must they make it so confusing?

No need test when entering from HK but if have visit Taiwan or other countries within 7 days blah blah....

beanstalk6

Reaction score
There's no 7-day thing relevant to you unless you plan to visit China from Macao. There's only a 48-hour rule if you were in another country other than HK, Taiwan and the mainland. When you return to HK from Macao, there are no covid-19 requirements.

Squeezer

Reaction score
There's no 7-day thing relevant to you unless you plan to visit China from Macao. There's only a 48-hour rule if you were in another country other than HK, Taiwan and the mainland. When you return to HK from Macao, there are no covid-19 requirements.
So the 1st point is valid: No Need To Present if entering Macau from China, HK or Taiwan region.

Correct?

heng_82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So the 1st point is valid: No Need To Present if entering Macau from China, HK or Taiwan region.

Correct?
If I read the post correctly, 7 days pcr rules only apply if u’re entering mainland from macau.

beanstalk6

Reaction score

Correct?
Finally, you read.

Correct. I don't think it is so complicated that they check if you arrived from another country in the last 48 hours. If you want to be absolutely certain, visit Macao on your Day 3 after you arrive in HK (eg Day 0 Singapore, Day 1 HK, Day 2 HK, Day 3 Macao).

Squeezer

Reaction score
Finally, you read.

Correct. I don't think it is so complicated that they check if you arrived from another country in the last 48 hours. If you want to be absolutely certain, visit Macao on your Day 3 after you arrive in HK (eg Day 0 Singapore, Day 1 HK, Day 2 HK, Day 3 Macao).
Thank you. I did read but the more I read the more confused it became haha.

Hoping for some datapoint from people who actually went in from HK.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Thank you. I did read but the more I read the more confused it became haha.

Hoping for some datapoint from people who actually went in from HK.
Well, a traveller above did visit in February and reported a smooth transit to Macao.

heng_82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’ll roughly share my itinerary for hk macau last mth. Not sure if any changes since it’s last mth

19/02 arrive hk, did art and health declaration, hk customs didn’t checked any of both

21/02 travelled from hk to macau via ferry, did nothing, and nothing being checked

23/02 travelled back to hk via ferry, did art, but hk customs didn’t check check anything either.

yesaka

Reaction score
Some queries , please help :-

HK SIM card - can get from HK airport??? A few choices, or doesn't matter - for short trip??

HK taxi ok, or does HK have Grab equivalent?? While will mostly travel via MTR/ bus, sometimes never know....

think still have some Octopus card from 4-5 years ago. Can still used and validated at MTR office???

thanks.

sevensomerset

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
many years ago, took their bus once, it’s KMB, only tap once(cannot recall is boarding or alighting). so is flat fee? or is it all flat fee(tap once), or some flat fee some by distance(tap 2 times like ours)?

Last edited:

TapInTapOut

Reaction score
What is the best money changer to use in SG to get HKD?

As of today, on Visa rates (Trust card) is 5.8778, and Yahoo market rate is 5.9105.

So far went to the money changer near me, at Bukit Batok MRT it's 5.83, the rest 5.75-5.78, seems like not so good.

Edit: Seems like DBS can withdraw at DBS Hong Kong ATMs for free. Rate currently is 5.8444 which is quite decent.

image.png

Last edited:

heng_82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some queries , please help :-

HK SIM card - can get from HK airport??? A few choices, or doesn't matter - for short trip??

HK taxi ok, or does HK have Grab equivalent?? While will mostly travel via MTR/ bus, sometimes never know....

think still have some Octopus card from 4-5 years ago. Can still used and validated at MTR office???

thanks.
1. Yes, there’s a 1010 shop at hk airport,
2. Taxi is ok, but it can be rather ex compared to sg fares, and I think there’s surcharge if u travel different territories like hk island-Kowloon, they have ride hailing app, dunno what they use though.
3. Dunno

heng_82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the best money changer to use in SG to get HKD?

As of today, on Visa rates (Trust card) is 5.8778, and Yahoo market rate is 5.9105.

So far went to the money changer near me, at Bukit Batok MRT it's 5.83, the rest 5.75-5.78, seems like not so good.

Edit: Seems like DBS can withdraw at DBS Hong Kong ATMs for free. Rate currently is 5.8444 which is quite decent.

image.png
If for cash, raffles arcade gives rather good rate, u can go there compare. But make sure u ask for $500 notes

Gamma~

Reaction score
I came back from HK last week so sharing my experience here.

I did not do ART (it's optional anyway) and completed the health declaration form the night before. SQ gave out the arrival card during boarding. Immigration officer did not ask for ART nor the form but I presume they have the form recorded in their system since it is linked to your passport.

HK is still a very cash centric society. Even taxi from HKIA to town accepts only cash. And now there is a surcharge of HK$6 per luggage in the car boot. For reference, my fare from airport to TST was close to HK$290 with 2 pieces of luggage - pretty ex.

Majority of the char chan tengs accept only cash. Some accept Octopus card as well. Out of 10, I encountered only 1-2 accept credit cards.

They still have Uber operating there but somehow I couldn't book - probably it was due to foreign credit cards? I am not sure. I took the HK$33 A21 bus to the airport.

Their public bus fares look to be flat rate cos I noticed the fare shown on the panel doesn't change/reduce as the bus moves. So I suppose short distance take MTR is cheaper. But I guess regardless of bus or MTR, as long as you need to cross Kowloon-HK Island will be more ex. Not 100% sure but that was my observation.

Wrt Trust card - I first used the card through my Apple watch and it was fine. Then when I used the physical card itself, Trust blocked the card. Had to contact them in-app to unblock, and they took close to a day to unblock. If you need to use your Trust card in HK, best is to inform them beforehand.

I downloaded the Octopus Tourist app from Apple store prior to traveling and my phone NFC could read my card bought from years back. Also managed to configure Octopus card as express travel card on my Apple watch. No need to press anything just hover your watch to the Octopus reader.

I went to Macau from HK - did not require to present anything related to ART/declaration. Went back to HK from Macau, as usual, completed the health declaration form first then the arrival card at the immigration. My trip was by bus at HK$350 return.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.